Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

Re: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis | FRONTLINE

I'm pretty sure that's a penalty.

Driving 200 MPH on public roads is illegal, but it's totally legal within the context of a sport. Sacking someone on a public sidewalk is also illegal.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-18-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

The issue with football is, even though we have been trying really hard recently to understand, we still do not have a real understanding of how much damage is being done to the human brain by playing football.
    We don't have a real understanding of how much damage is being done to the human brain by taking into our bodies sugar. But, banning sugar is not the answer.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We don't have a real understanding of how much damage is being done to the human brain by taking into our bodies sugar. But, banning sugar is not the answer.
    Eating sugar is totally comparable to deliberately running head first into a man for the specific reason of hitting him as hard as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Eating sugar is totally comparable to deliberately running head first into a man for the specific reason of hitting him as hard as possible.
    It is when you ask my wife when she sees me eat something that she wouldn't.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Stupid NFL isn't allowing Junior Seau's family to speak at his HOF induction, how can they not realize how awful that makes them look?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/sp...nytsports&_r=0
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Stupid NFL isn't allowing Junior Seau's family to speak at his HOF induction, how can they not realize how awful that makes them look?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/sp...nytsports&_r=0
    They are in a heated lawsuit. They can't be trusted what they'll say.

But then they'd be the ones who looked bad if they used the opportunity to say anything inappropriate to the occasion.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Rule #1: Look out for #1.

I read stories like Antwaan Randle El struggling with brain damage in his 30s and I wonder how long this sport survives. At some point high schools and colleges are going to find themselves in the liability crosshairs on this.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I read stories like Antwaan Randle El struggling with brain damage in his 30s and I wonder how long this sport survives. At some point high schools and colleges are going to find themselves in the liability crosshairs on this.
    The pending lawsuit against Ridell should be an interesting one to monitor. One of the difficulties in the concussion lawsuits is that it's near impossible to pinpoint when CTE or other concussion related damage occurs. Most players begin tackle football in grade school and continue through high school, college or even the pros. Helmets exist at every level of competitive football, so it should be interesting to see how that one pans out.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'm sure it'll survive somehow. While it isn't nearly popular as football, boxing still survives. Kids, especially underprivileged kids, will still see football as a way out. Most young people think they will live forever and aren't going to worry about brain damage. The NFL bears a lot of blame for this but players who have not reported concussion symptoms bear some blame as well. Frankly, I'm not sure if you can make the game safe unless you turn it into flag football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

wolfboy (01-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm sure it'll survive somehow. While it isn't nearly popular as football, boxing still survives. Kids, especially underprivileged kids, will still see football as a way out. Most young people think they will live forever and aren't going to worry about brain damage. The NFL bears a lot of blame for this but players who have not reported concussion symptoms bear some blame as well. Frankly, I'm not sure if you can make the game safe unless you turn it into flag football.
    Which may need to happen with youth football. The difference in football and boxing is the sheer number of kids involved in play. As injury awareness increases, a strong movement will grown. Around here we have a youth coach's kid in he hospital with a brain tumor that was almost certainly caused by football. This will start to affect more and more people directly, and, although it may come slowly because of the sheer passion involved, things will change.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

Chip R (01-20-2016),M2 (01-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Which may need to happen with youth football. The difference in football and boxing is the sheer number of kids involved in play. As injury awareness increases, a strong movement will grown. Around here we have a youth coach's kid in he hospital with a brain tumor that was almost certainly caused by football. This will start to affect more and more people directly, and, although it may come slowly because of the sheer passion involved, things will change.
    Boxing also doesn't rely on schools to further its talent. I'm really not sure how educational institutions can afford to put students in harm's way. We're reaching the point where they can't claim ignorance. A guy like Randle El in 20 years is going to have a case not just against the NFL, but against his college and high school. If those are public schools, that's tax dollars on the line. Maybe big time college programs like Ohio State can afford to insure against and pay out injury claims for a while, but very few high schools are going to have that kind of money. This threatens the pipeline.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-20-2016),marcshoe (01-20-2016)

There will come a time, maybe 20 years, maybe 50, where the NFL is shut down because of this stuff. I've been called all kinds of names for this stance, and I expect that to continue for the time being.

Boxing also doesn't rely on schools to further its talent. I'm really not sure how educational institutions can afford to put students in harm's way. We're reaching the point where they can't claim ignorance. A guy like Randle El in 20 years is going to have a case not just against the NFL, but against his college and high school. If those are public schools, that's tax dollars on the line. Maybe big time college programs like Ohio State can afford to insure against and pay out injury claims for a while, but very few high schools are going to have that kind of money. This threatens the pipeline.
    I think you would have a hard time convincing people that their school's football program needs to be eliminated. Especially places like Ohio, Texas, Florida, California and Pennsylvania. Maybe it ceases to be sponsored by the public schools and they form some sort of a club team sponsored by the boosters. Perhaps parents will have to sign some sort of waiver that indemnifies the organization from lawsuits if they want their sons to participate.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?