Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

Re: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

If kids were still watching cartoons on Saturday mornings, they would still be on. Let's face it, all the creative animation is in the evenings. There's animation for kids on all day during the week. If kids want to watch them on Saturday mornings, DVR them during the week and have them watch it on Saturdays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

M
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Avery was a genius, some of his content has changed in the ensuing years.

It has as much to do with liberals as it does with the age old adage of "do on to others"

Everything changes, process it, deal with it, live with it.
    I remember watching the Bugs Bunny cartoon entitled Lets nip the Nips, it was WWII and bugs was handing out bombs dropping derogatory names the the Japanese.

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    M
    I remember watching the Bugs Bunny cartoon entitled Lets nip the Nips, it was WWII and bugs was handing out bombs dropping derogatory names the the Japanese.

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone.
    When? That hasn't been on kids tv since the 50s, maybe a documentary or something

I've seen those and some others in film school the whole era was ripe with racial stereotyping and those were by far the most aggressive ones

When? That hasn't been on kids tv since the 50s, maybe a documentary or something

I've seen those and some others in film school the whole era was ripe with racial stereotyping and those were by far the most aggressive ones
    I know the cartoons since I still have them on VHS tapes - never seen them on TV. The two VHS tapes are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugs_%2...rtime_Cartoons and
    http://www.amazon.com/Cartoons-At-Wa.../dp/B000MC6JM4 This one has "Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips", as well as "Tokyo Jokio" and "Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs". The quality of the tape is very poor to begin with.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't know what Rex Avery is but why would we want kids watching something that disrespected women and minorities?
    You have to take it in terms of when they were made - acceptable today? of course not! Also a lot of the old Warner Bros and MGM cartoons were placed before movies in theaters and had to cater not only to kids but to adults as well. My Dad would watch the cartoons with us on Saturday mornings if he wasn't working - but he would sometimes laugh at the wrong time. Or so I thought. When I got older I realized he was laughing not only at an era reference but at the adult humor that went over our young heads.

On the same note: I was lucky to have purchased Warner Bros and MGM VHS tapes made available in the 80s/90s before they were edited-a great store in the old Forest Fair Mall called Cartoon Corner. Some of the editing I could accept - the most common edit was the "suicide" gag where a character usually uttering the line "Now I've seen everything" shots himself in the head. Other edits were of drug use (mostly pill popping). Two cartoons where the editing cut out the flow where 1) "The Big Snooze" with Bugs and Elmer (Elmer goes to sleep and to enter his dreams Bugs takes sleeping pills "Take deze and doze"). The edited version has Bugs just falling into a deep sleep w/o help. 2) "Hopalong Casualty" with the Roadrunner and the Coyote (Coyote orders, from ACME of course, earthquake pills which the Roadrunner eats them and nothing happens. Coyote eats one...nothing, then in frustration downs the whole bottle.. nothing-yet. As he throws the bottle away, his eyes follow the small print "Caution - not effective on roadrunners", then his body goes into convulsions). Edited version shows only his body convulsing-no pill taking at all.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

here's an excellent article about the very thing we're discussing. We live in an age where Amazon has to put a disclaimer on the Tom & Jerry videos they're selling:

So while Amazon has recently added “Tom and Jerry” to its video streaming service, they made sure to include a racism disclaimer: a warning that “Tom and Jerry” contains “some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society.”

Characters like Mammy Two Shoes “were wrong then and are wrong today,” the warning reads, incensing some fans of the seven-time Academy-Award winning show. “I loved Tom and Jerry as a kid and it never made me think poorly of ethnic minorities or want to smoke cigars,” one tweeted. Another “watched Tom and Jerry since the 60s this is the 1st time I’ve ever heard the R word in relation to it. PC madness!”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ly-racist.html

And it's not just racial and sexism stuff. 8 yrs ago Turner Broadcasting made a point of editing out all the scenes where smoking is glamorized in these cartoons. That's equally appalling as PC madness:

Turner Broadcasting is scouring more than 1,500 classic Hanna-Barbera cartoons, including old favorites Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo, to edit out scenes that glamorize smoking.
    http://www.tv.com/news/smoking-cuts-...cartoons-5948/

So they're editing stuff like this from those old classic cartoons and yet we're left with the stuff we get from Family Guy and South Park. How is that OK?

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-08-2014),George Anderson (10-07-2014),KittyDuran (10-08-2014),Revering4Blue (10-08-2014),Slyder (10-08-2014)

- - - Updated - - -

Since when did Tom & Jerry and South Park have the same audience?

I like Speedy Gonzalez, he's a Bolshevik, always taking cheese from the capitalist pig factory and handing it out to the peasants. Viva, Speedy!

Maybe it was a documentary, I know I have seen it.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Maybe it was a documentary, I know I have seen it.
    You may have seen them on You Tube. They are there now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-08-2014)

1985 had to be the best year for Saturday Cartoons if you were a male. My schedule usually went like this:

Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour- 8AM
    Ewoks- 9:AM
    Droids The Adventures of R2-D2 and C3PO while watching Smurfs during commercials. 9:30am
    Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling! 10:00am
    and the morning was concluded with Alvin and Chipmunks until 10:30am
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You may have seen them on You Tube. They are there now.
    Check out the SNAFU cartoons that Warner Bros made for the military during WWII. But keep in mind the audience that was watching them.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-09-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Schedules and program profiles for every series the networks broadcast on Saturday Mornings from the mid-Sixties all through the Seventies and into the eighties.
    http://tvparty.com/sat.html

A trip down memory lane.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-09-2014),KittyDuran (10-08-2014),westofyou (10-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    1985 had to be the best year for Saturday Cartoons if you were a male. My schedule usually went like this:

Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes Comedy Hour- 8AM
    Ewoks- 9:AM
    Droids The Adventures of R2-D2 and C3PO while watching Smurfs during commercials. 9:30am
    Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling! 10:00am
    and the morning was concluded with Alvin and Chipmunks until 10:30am
    http://www.tvparty.com/sat69.html

21. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-08-2014)

Turn Off Ads?