Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

Re: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Since when did Tom & Jerry and South Park have the same audience?
    You may think it's all about the audience but I don't think so. I don't think even South Park would be allowed to have a character like Mammy Two Shoes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    http://tvparty.com/sat.html

A trip down memory lane.
    Really good site! I am going to have to go and look at the years that were the prime of my youth. One thing I remember was that a station we received from Bristol, Va would show some cartoons on Sunday mornings. That's when I would watch the Jetsons and Underdog before going to church.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You may think it's all about the audience but I don't think so. I don't think even South Park would be allowed to have a character like Mammy Two Shoes.
    You're coming off like the guys complaining that their first amendment rights aren't being protected because everybody judges them when they throw around ethnic slurs...

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-09-2014),westofyou (10-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You're coming off like the guys
    Sexism much??

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Sexism much??
    You got me!

Name:  884469292110636208.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  8.9 KB

8. Likes:

George Anderson (10-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One thing I remember was that a station we received from Bristol, Va would show some cartoons on Sunday mornings.
    I was always bummed by Sunday morning. There was nothing except the occasional Davey & Goliath.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I was always bummed by Sunday morning. There was nothing except the occasional Davey & Goliath.
    I never got that cartoon. My wife mentioned it to me a few years back and told her that I never heard of it. We then actually found it on one of the religious channels we were getting at the time. It was OK. Good clean family stuff.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

A trip down memory lane.
    Thanks. I just wasted so much time going through all those years. My prime Saturday morning viewing years were the mid 1970s to early 1980s, but I've pretty much seen most of the shows from the 1960s-70s through syndication. There was UHF channel that would show most of those shows and syndicated prime time shows after school for us latchkey kids. My earliest memories of Saturday Morning were the classic Superfriends and Looney Tunes, as well as shows such as Emergency! +4, the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Hour, Land of the Lost, the Krofft Super Show, Far Out Space Nuts, Hong Kong Phooey, and every year Hanna-Barbera would come out with some new, weird, cheaply animated show that was basically a rehash of some other show that I would just eat up. By '80-'81, I had gotten to the point where I felt most of the Saturday Morning Cartoons were lame (but my younger brother and sister loved them). At that point, I was just biding my time going through the box scores in the Saturday Morning paper, waiting for the Baseball Bunch and This Week in Baseball to come on before the Saturday MLB Game of the Week on NBC.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

919191 (10-10-2014),KittyDuran (10-10-2014)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Thanks. I just wasted so much time going through all those years. My prime Saturday morning viewing years were the mid 1970s to early 1980s, but I've pretty much seen most of the shows from the 1960s-70s through syndication. There was UHF channel that would show most of those shows and syndicated prime time shows after school for us latchkey kids. My earliest memories of Saturday Morning were the classic Superfriends and Looney Tunes, as well as shows such as Emergency! +4, the Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Hour, Land of the Lost, the Krofft Super Show, Far Out Space Nuts, Hong Kong Phooey, and every year Hanna-Barbera would come out with some new, weird, cheaply animated show that was basically a rehash of some other show that I would just eat up. By '80-'81, I had gotten to the point where I felt most of the Saturday Morning Cartoons were lame (but my younger brother and sister loved them). At that point, I was just biding my time going through the box scores in the Saturday Morning paper, waiting for the Baseball Bunch and This Week in Baseball to come on before the Saturday MLB Game of the Week on NBC.
    Your Saturday Morning viewing habits mirrored mine. Looking back, I'm amazed that I was actually able to stay up as late as I possibly could on Friday Nights, while mustering up enough energy to wake up at the crack of dawn on Saturday Mornings around 6 or so to watch syndicated reruns -- Gilligan's Island and the like -- before the cartoons were on. Of course, by 7th grad or so, the lack of energy began to take it's toll on me and I began to sleep in.

Speaking of the Superfriends, a little known tidbit of trivia: The original voice of "Meanwhile, at The Hall Of Justice" was none other than the late Ted Knight.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

A trip down memory lane.
    I went back and looked at the years that were probably my prime viewing years. Looked like from 1968 to about 1975 was what I remembered best. In the area I lived in I couldn't get an ABC channel until early 1975 when my dad finally signed up for cable. So I missed out on the ABC cartoons up until that point. After 1975 I really couldn't remember the cartoons. So by 1976 I was probably sleeping late on Saturdays and most likely felt I was too old for cartoons.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I never got that cartoon. My wife mentioned it to me a few years back and told her that I never heard of it. We then actually found it on one of the religious channels we were getting at the time. It was OK. Good clean family stuff.
    I have the box set on DVD, it's kitschy and cracks me up, done by Art Clokey (Gumby)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have the box set on DVD, it's kitschy and cracks me up, done by Art Clokey (Gumby)
    That figures. It seems very Gumby like.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Your Saturday Morning viewing habits mirrored mine. Looking back, I'm amazed that I was actually able to stay up as late as I possibly could on Friday Nights, while mustering up enough energy to wake up at the crack of dawn on Saturday Mornings around 6 or so to watch syndicated reruns -- Gilligan's Island and the like -- before the cartoons were on. Of course, by 7th grad or so, the lack of energy began to take it's toll on me and I began to sleep in.

Speaking of the Superfriends, a little known tidbit of trivia: The original voice of "Meanwhile, at The Hall Of Justice" was none other than the late Ted Knight.
    I heard that about Ted Knight. My friend got the Superfriends on DVD for his kids and it was amazing how poorly done the animation was on those shows. Much of the show features the same stock backgrounds, characters are painted using as few colors as possible (characters don't even have white eyeballs. All faces are painted a flat fleshtone color), and movement is very limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Oh Davey!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I honestly have no idea about that character, but for what, 15 years now, Cartman has been making fun of Kyle for being Jewish with all kinds of the various stereotypes in his insults. They've blasted Canadians since the beginning. Have you ever watched South Park?

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-20-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I honestly have no idea about that character, but for what, 15 years now, Cartman has been making fun of Kyle for being Jewish with all kinds of the various stereotypes in his insults. They've blasted Canadians since the beginning. Have you ever watched South Park?
    They've shown a cartoon depiction of Muhammad! (Or wait was that Family Guy?)

Turn Off Ads?