Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

Re: No More Saturday Morning Cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The last network to offer Saturday morning cartoons will be dropping them soon. The CW Network was the last. I didn't know they did show cartoons then to be honest. Of course you can still watch cartoons anytime you want on a bunch of 24 hour networks made to just show cartoons.

When I was a kid I lived for Saturday morning cartoons. I would get up before they even came on and would watch the test pattern and farm reports. The cartoons would start around 7 am and go until around noon. This was the only time you could see cartoons, There was no Cartoon Network or Boomerang that air these shows 24/7 in today's world. I also remember that on a Friday night in September CBS would have a preview show of all the new cartoons for the new season which was starting the next day. I think I would be so excited I could hardly sleep that night in anticipation of seeing the new Hong Kong Phooey Show or The Pink Panther or the new season of The Road Runner Show. I would also devour the TV Guide that previewed the new cartoons too. It was all so great and oh so innocent. I'm glad I grew up when I did even if I couldn't watch cartoons except on Saturday mornings.

http://www.wtop.com/546/3713607/The-...rning-cartoons
    I don't know how old you are buddy, I'm in my late 50's, but after reading the above, you described me and my brothers to a tee growing up. We did exactly the same. As a child growing up in the late 50s, and into the 60s, you LIVED for Saturday morning cartoons. Of course back then you only had VHF/UHF channels (7-8 total?); but we were up around 5;30 Am, lying on the floor in your pajamas, watching that test pattern, waiting for one of those channels to start showing cartoons. And you didn't move till around noon (LOL).

Friz Freleng, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, and Bob McKimson were simply geniuses of the Golden Age of Animation. And I would also add Max and Dave Fleischer (Popeye), as well as Walter Lantz (Woody Woodpecker), Terrytoons (Paul Terry), Famous Studios (Harveytoons), and of course Jay Ward (Bullwinkle). I remember many of the comedians back then were somewhat worried about the competition from the growing popularity cartoons because you can do things in animation that they can't do in real life.

And one of my many idols growing up was voice actor Mel Blanc. He was the master. Nobody can touch him. Growing up I taught myself how to do many of the character's voices he did. I was on the golf course last week and did Pete Puma, and my brother started laughing so hard it took him a bit to compose himself so he could hit (LOL).

As for today's "PC crowd" that criticizes those old cartoons from the 40's/50's because of racial stereotypes, sexism, or even violence? Yeah, it existed, and some examples have already been sighted. Big deal! Get a life is all I can say. Back in the mid-70s, one of the female CEOs (I think it was ABC) decided to edit out all the violence in Warner Brothers cartoons ... the coyote falling off the cliff, Elmer Fudd shooting someone, etc. "Wabbitt Season, Duck Season" where Daffy keeps getting shot by Elmer, just doesn't make it with that edited out.

The original Popeye cartoons were not only violent, but he cursed under his breath.

Cartoons back then weren't created for children, but were shorts shown in movie theaters for adult audiences.

I don't see how anyone can complain about them, yet allowed their kids to watch Beavis and Butthead, Rem & Stempy, or even today's Family Guy. AS well as the extreme violence in video games.

Watching Elmer Fudd shoot Daffy was tame.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-12-2014),George Anderson (10-12-2014),Revering4Blue (10-12-2014),Sea Ray (10-14-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

^ I'm 51 GAC. So we are of the same time period. It was a fun time. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    ^ I'm 51 GAC. So we are of the same time period. It was a fun time. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.
    Come to the Honeycomb Hideout

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I honestly have no idea about that character, but for what, 15 years now, Cartman has been making fun of Kyle for being Jewish with all kinds of the various stereotypes in his insults. They've blasted Canadians since the beginning. Have you ever watched South Park?
    Definitely which is why I said it's nuts that South Park can do what it does but a show like the Flintstones can't be shown now about making fun of mother in laws or the Jetsons who dedicated a show to the perils of women drivers

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

Since when did Tom & Jerry and South Park have the same audience?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IAs for today's "PC crowd" that criticizes those old cartoons from the 40's/50's because of racial stereotypes, sexism, or even violence? Yeah, it existed, and some examples have already been sighted. Big deal! Get a life is all I can say. Back in the mid-70s, one of the female CEOs (I think it was ABC) decided to edit out all the violence in Warner Brothers cartoons ... the coyote falling off the cliff, Elmer Fudd shooting someone, etc. "Wabbitt Season, Duck Season" where Daffy keeps getting shot by Elmer, just doesn't make it with that edited out.

The original Popeye cartoons were not only violent, but he cursed under his breath.

Cartoons back then weren't created for children, but were shorts shown in movie theaters for adult audiences.

I don't see how anyone can complain about them, yet allowed their kids to watch Beavis and Butthead, Rem & Stempy, or even today's Family Guy. AS well as the extreme violence in video games.

Watching Elmer Fudd shoot Daffy was tame.
    Exactly right...

Are the Looney Tunes meant to be satirical like South Park? (honest question)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I heard that about Ted Knight. My friend got the Superfriends on DVD for his kids and it was amazing how poorly done the animation was on those shows. Much of the show features the same stock backgrounds, characters are painted using as few colors as possible (characters don't even have white eyeballs. All faces are painted a flat fleshtone color), and movement is very limited.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Davey!
    I probably wasn't the only kid who expected to see Superman flying out of the Union Terminal.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

I have fond memories of being a kid and staying up late because it was Friday but somehow trying to wake up early to watch cartoons on Saturday morning. I was bummed when I would oversleep and miss some of the best ones. It seemed like 8-10am was the perfect window.

If this somehow forced kids to read more and get out more I'd be all for it but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I would certainly say yes

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Bingo.

South Park is satire, the cartoons of old reflected actual stereotypes.

Turn Off Ads?