Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Spotlight belongs in the discussion with The Martian and Sicario for best movie of the fall for me. Nothing, however, has come close to being as excellent as Ex Machina. Looks like Brooklyn and the deluge of last-minute-so-they're-Oscar-eligible December 25th releases are my last hope of seeing something surpass it...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    For those with kids, mine enjoyed the new Peanuts movie.
    In news that will surprise no one based on my avatar, I went to see it today by myself while the kids (and everyone else's kids) were in school. I started reading the strip when I was, like, four years old, so the characters might as well be family. I think they did a good job straddling the line between pleasing old fans like me and potential new fans (i.e. kids). But it definitely plays as a movie based on the Peanuts TV specials instead of the Peanuts comic strip. There always were subtle differences.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-10-2015),marcshoe (11-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    In news that will surprise no one based on my avatar, I went to see it today by myself while the kids (and everyone else's kids) were in school. I started reading the strip when I was, like, four years old, so the characters might as well be family. I think they did a good job straddling the line between pleasing old fans like me and potential new fans (i.e. kids). But it definitely plays as a movie based on the Peanuts TV specials instead of the Peanuts comic strip. There always were subtle differences.
    Thanks I was wondering how this movie was being received. I'm one that still watches their holiday specials every year and have almost all the Complete Peanuts books that have been rolled out over the last few years. My wife and I have wondered if the Peanuts will survive over the years. If movies are made well they may just live for another 65 years. I will probably wait until Netflix or someone like that has it to watch.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Thanks I was wondering how this movie was being received. I'm one that still watches their holiday specials every year and have almost all the Complete Peanuts books that have been rolled out over the last few years. My wife and I have wondered if the Peanuts will survive over the years. If movies are made well they may just live for another 65 years. I will probably wait until Netflix or someone like that has it to watch.
    The reviews have been pretty good overall. You have people who never liked Peanuts in the first place, or a very small number of purists who are aghast at moving from Schulz' flat drawings to 3-D CGI, but the old adage "can't please everyone" comes into play there.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The reviews have been pretty good overall. You have people who never liked Peanuts in the first place, or a very small number of purists who are aghast at moving from Schulz' flat drawings to 3-D CGI, but the old adage "can't please everyone" comes into play there.
    How's the music - always loved Guaraldi's scores. It's a holiday tradition to have the Christmas album playing in the background at work (along with Bing, Elvis, Frank, and Johnny). <---closest trio smilie.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

8. Likes:

IslandRed (11-10-2015)

Spectre outtake (not really) Bond rents a car:

Last edited by klw; 11-10-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Same trailer, but in higher quality:

Adjust accordingly.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    How's the music - always loved Guaraldi's scores. It's a holiday tradition to have the Christmas album playing in the background at work (along with Bing, Elvis, Frank, and Johnny). <---closest trio smilie.
    Watched "The Peanuts Movie" yesterday in 3D and that was my only, tho' very weak, complaint. Luckily the new music inserted was not too obnoxious for my taste. If you like the Peanuts strip or especially the TV specials you need to see the movie. If you're not too sure wait until it streams online - but part of the fun (IMHO) was seeing them for the first time in a theater. Even though Snoopy was my least favorite character, he really shines in the movie.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Rented The Stanford Prison Experiment last night. Very good highly recommended but if you're kinda feeling down going into it maybe catch an episode of Seinfeld first. Really strong performances by several young actors, especially Ezra Miller and Michael Angarano.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-23-2015)

I thought I was going to have to wait for TFA to see this, but apparently Christmas has come a little early.

The first official Captain America: Civil War trailer:
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

15. Likes:

KittyDuran (11-25-2015)

Just recently saw Creed...very powerful film. Stallone gave a performance of absolutely granite integrity. He really surprised me. Michael B. Jordan musters acting chops, and a screen presence in the film beyond what he has shown up to this point. Highly recommended. The music/fight scenes alone will have you revved up like crazy.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Michael B. Jordan is going to have a long, impressive career. Have thought that all the way back to The Wire and Friday Night Lights. He has a presence.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

18. Likes:

Chip R (11-29-2015)

For sure. I see him and Stallone both receiving Oscar nods.

Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny live Rifftrax tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny live Rifftrax tonight!
    I haven't laughed that hard in years

Turn Off Ads?