Turn Off Ads?
Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Greatest Showman was FANTASTIC.

The Mummy (the new one) - meh.

I just finished watching Game Night. It was hilarious.
    I just watched it too. It had some really funny moments and lines, but overall I thought it was a B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Saw Eighth Grade last night. As someone with a daughter entering 8th grade in a week, this movie was scary as hell. Excellent movie, though.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Saw Eighth Grade last night. As someone with a daughter entering 8th grade in a week, this movie was scary as hell. Excellent movie, though.
    Yeah, if Im being honest...it was a little too drab. 8th grade is awkward, if it's that awkward for you...

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I saw it this weekend and it might be one of my favorite movies of all time. It captured a particular age and feeling really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I saw it this weekend and it might be one of my favorite movies of all time. It captured a particular age and feeling really, really well.
    The problem with these movies...and I liked it, my kid liked it....

But, take, say, the pool party scene.

There are, what 30 kids there? All in 8th grade? And everybody is having a good time but this one girl...and this is representative of eighth grade?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The problem with these movies...and I liked it, my kid liked it....

But, take, say, the pool party scene.

There are, what 30 kids there? All in 8th grade? And everybody is having a good time but this one girl...and this is representative of eighth grade?
    I think the movie did an excellent job of portraying that age through the personal perspective of someone that age who grew up in that white middle-upper class world. I get your thought and I think you can let in some 3rd person reality in a personal 1st person story like this in small doses and to make a specific point, like the stuff where we see the dad trying to reach out to his daughter even though the daughter can't see it, but you can't undercut the entire emotional stakes of a character's experience by immediately showing how it is wrong and inaccurate. I think that juxtaposition would have more of a place in a different movie where the focus was more on an adult re-assessment of what that age was than a direct representation of how that age feels.

I think the movie did an excellent job of portraying that age through the personal perspective of someone that age who grew up in that white middle-upper class world. I get your thought and I think you can let in some 3rd person reality in a personal 1st person story like this in small doses and to make a specific point, like the stuff where we see the dad trying to reach out to his daughter even though the daughter can't see it, but you can't undercut the entire emotional stakes of a character's experience by immediately showing how it is wrong and inaccurate. I think that juxtaposition would have more of a place in a different movie where the focus was more on an adult re-assessment of what that age was than a direct representation of how that age feels.
    It was uncomfortable for me to watch.

Afterwards my 9 year old said he loved it, on the way home he was kinda having anxiety about 8th grade...and while it was kinda real (?) I had to tell him for as much as it presented itself as reality, my experience wasn't like that at all. And I wasn't in with the popular kids.

Come to think of it, maybe the movie was presented for kid on both sides of the fence: if you're popular, be a little more understanding, if you aren't here is something to relate to.

I can see that.

I started watching Maniac on Netflix. It has gotten very positive reviews, but I'm not finding anything about it special.

Anyone else?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I started watching Maniac on Netflix. It has gotten very positive reviews, but I'm not finding anything about it special.

Anyone else?
    I think I read somewhere about it being split into two halves and making more sense as a whole. I didn’t dig too deep because I didn’t want it spoiled though.

"A Star is Born" is really excellent. Lady Gaga is getting a lot of the buzz, but I thought Bradley Cooper was great. They will likely both get Oscar noms.

I think they could have ended it differently and it could have maybe been a better movie than it is, but don't want to spoil anything.

Just saw First Man, it was ok. The visuals were great but there was very little character development. I wonder if they used the same set they used for the original “moon landing”?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Just saw First Man, it was ok. The visuals were great but there was very little character development. I wonder if they used the same set they used for the original “moon landing”?
    A friend of mine went and saw it with his girlfriend. He said he didn't really like it at all. She loved it. I was really looking forward to it, but the more people that seem to have seen it, the more I feel it's definitely a "wait until you can watch it at home" kind of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A friend of mine went and saw it with his girlfriend. He said he didn't really like it at all. She loved it. I was really looking forward to it, but the more people that seem to have seen it, the more I feel it's definitely a "wait until you can watch it at home" kind of movie.
    Very little dialog and it played out like a documentary. I really was expecting it to be very good and it was mildly disappointing.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Very little dialog and it played out like a documentary. I really was expecting it to be very good and it was mildly disappointing.
    This makes me think it's actually a movie only worth seeing on a giant screen. When the main focus is the experience and visuals, versus dialogue and plot, the movie usually falls very flat on a home TV.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

This makes me think it's actually a movie only worth seeing on a giant screen. When the main focus is the experience and visuals, versus dialogue and plot, the movie usually falls very flat on a home TV.
    My man, secure your tv to the wall better.

Turn Off Ads?