Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I guess not this year with Malek and his movie beating out Cooper and his.
    Sorry, I meant with nominations. They do pick a lot of fresh winners.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I tend to think the split of the Best Picture categories at the Globes creates a skewing effect sometimes. Not sure if that makes sense -- but when A Star is Born competes head-to-head with Bohemian Rhapsody, the results might turn out differently than when they are both (presumably) thrown in with all of the other films in one big category at the Oscars.

It's going to be a fascinating Oscar year, really. Lots of really good, really different competitors that should get into the picture battle: A Star is Born, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Blackkklansman, If Beale Street could Talk, Black Panther... and that's not even mentioning Roma, which didn't qualify for the regular "domestic" Globes (it won the Foreign GG) but will most definitely make it into the Best Picture nomination at Oscar (and likely be a prohibitive favorite).
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My daughter wanted to watch Crazy Rich Asians last night. Admittedly, I knew nothing about the movie other than it had been getting such high praise from the press that I assumed it must be some kind of breakthrough. I just assumed there was some cultural element of the movie and would be thought provoking.

I should have done a little homework, because there's nothing good I can say about it other than it was bold in it's ambition of using an all Asian cast, and it's nice to see something like this do so well. But it was nothing more than a run of the mill rom-com (I don't like using the term chick flick, but it meets that definition). It's the exact same plot line as dozens of other movies, just with Asian people. Don't waste your time unless you're into those kind of movies.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Not to get political, but I'd recommend watching Fahrenheit 11/9. I went in thinking Moore would pull me way to the Left with Trump reporting. However, he was striking in his criticism of the established left. The movie also included a ton of amazing things I didn't know about the Flint Water Scandal and the Parkland shooting. Frankly I felt Moore would have better served the people involved by devoting documentaries to those situations individually. It was promoted as a slight on Trump, but it left me more miffed about the Country in general. (If mods want to move this to Politics and Religion, no issue from me)

So saw Glass...oh my...it's not awful, slow in parts but not much action in a psych hospital...the ending is really rough though. McAvoy is brillant throughout and the movies only saving grace. Wait for the DVD.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

They call me "chef"

I just want Glass to be fun. Split was fun and pretty good. Please just be fun at the very least.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Saw Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. Rami Malek is going to win the Best Actor Oscar. That said, everything else about the film is pretty meh, save the concert scenes, and a delightful in-joke with Mike Myers and the titular song.
    *bows*
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Just saw Captain Marvel last night.

It’s better than the 30+% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it’s not the worst MCU movie either.

It’s essentially the 90s version of Guardians of the Galaxy. The Skrull-Kree twist was different and will likely upset the comic book purists, but it does fit within the narrative of the MCU.

Next up: Avengers: Endgame.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I saw Capt Marvel last night it was good not great...it's a nice bridge movie to endgame. Brie Larson definitely has some staying power and I thought her chemistry with Samuel L Jackson was very good. The tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning was awesome and the end credit scenes did not disappoint. Over all it was a fun ride...my 6 yr old didn't get bored which is a good sign.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I thought it was pretty meh. Larson was fine. Jackson and Mendohlson were fine.

Some of the acting from supporting characters was so bad I found it distracting, especially Rambeau and her daughter.

Some of the stuff with the Skrulls and Rambeau’s was so over the top cheesy and g-rated I was literally cringing.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I thought Captain Marvel was okay to pretty good.

The first 10 or so minutes were horrible, however. The pacing was weird, a ton of info thrown at the audience, and it looked like garbage. It reminded me of the first part of Solo. I'd guess there were some re-shoots going on because once she gets to Earth, the movie really rights itself.

They call me "chef"

I thought it was great and got much better as it went along. My wife who hates every Marvel movie that isn’t Thor: Ragnarok loved it and told me she’d give a damn about Marvel movies if they were all more like this. If Black Panther blew people’s minds for not telling the same story from the same POV, I think this deserves the credit it’ll get for finally being a Marvel movie with a woman lead.

14. Likes:

TRF (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm with Larry, it was great, and I am a Marvel Purist, which means I know the MCU is not in the 616 universe. The origin story isn't far off, and it sets up for Spectrum to get her powers in the sequel.

Stan Lee's cameo was a cameo within a cameo. I knew about it beforehand and still nearly cried.

There were no good guys in the Kree/Skrull war. I however cannot wait until the X-men are integrated so we can see the Shi'ar.

I am such a nerd.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

M2 (03-18-2019)

Captain Marvel is really taking a bite out of critic culture. The knives were out for it, but people decided it was good all on their own.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?