Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1008

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

  1. #76
    MLB Baseball Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You don't think there's a difference between Lincoln and a sniper than 99% of America couldn't name if you showed them a picture of him having movies made about him? There is a huge, huge difference. Everyone in America knows about what happened to Lincoln by the end of elementary school.

    There's a difference between talking about a movie and giving away huge plot points and endings in a movie that literally just came out. Yes, talking about Lincoln dying in the end is probably ok. Nearly everyone alive in this country knows about that. Very few movies, even based on a true story fall into that kind of category though.
    The only thing in this post I'd quibble with is that 99% number. He wrote a best selling autobiography. He was a fairly famous. He gave interviews and not just to news organizations he was on Opie and Anthony and Conan O'Brien. His death was a big deal. No, he's not Lincoln but he was well known.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #77
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    The only thing in this post I'd quibble with is that 99% number. He wrote a best selling autobiography. He was a fairly famous. He gave interviews and not just to news organizations he was on Opie and Anthony and Conan O'Brien. His death was a big deal. No, he's not Lincoln but he was well known.
    His death was a big deal for the news cycle. I still couldn't tell you his name and I've seen the commercials for the movie 50 times.

  4. #78
    MLB Baseball Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    His death was a big deal for the news cycle. I still couldn't tell you his name and I've seen the commercials for the movie 50 times.
    Yeah, I understand not everyone knew him, I'm not saying that. But he was famous, again his book was popular before he died. The dust up with Jesse Ventura was kind of a big deal and then certainly his death put him in the national spot light.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

  5. #79
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,717

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    This is Bradley Cooper, a month an a half before the movie came out...
    Cooper felt like he was on a mission to complete the vow for the sake of Kyle, his family and all veterans.

    "I had to do right by him and his family, there was really no choice," says Cooper. "You're sitting across the dining-room table talking to this person's father and mother. And his children and wife are there. And he's passed away. Knowing that they are putting all of their stories in your hands and the responsibly of that, it's actually unique."
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...oper/16453043/

    Damn you, star of movie, for spoiling movie!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #80
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,799

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Did he die in battle? Of cancer? In a boating accident? Bradley Cooper is terrible at spoiling movies.

  7. #81
    MLB Baseball Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Did he die in battle? Of cancer? In a boating accident? Bradley Cooper is terrible at spoiling movies.
    Yes. I'll stick with discussing that he died is not a spoiler while discussing how the movie handles it is a bit impolite.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

  8. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-05-2015)

  9. #82
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,717

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Did he die in battle? Of cancer? In a boating accident? Bradley Cooper is terrible at spoiling movies.
    Now see, if Cooper hadn't given that interview, the author of the USA Today article wouldn't have felt compelled to include this in his story:

    Soon after that phone call, Kyle and a companion were shot and killed on Feb. 2, 2013, at a shooting range in Texas. A troubled Marine veteran is now on trial for his murder.
    Damn you, USA Today!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. Likes:

    dubc47834 (01-03-2015)

  11. #83
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,897

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Now see, if Cooper hadn't given that interview, the author of the USA Today article wouldn't have felt compelled to include this in his story:



    Damn you, USA Today!!!
    Ok. I'll stop into the TV thread once the new season of Game of Thrones starts just to tell everyone what happens to each character. I mean, after all, the books have been in print for some time and there's a lot of conversation about them on the internet so we should assume that everyone should just know the story through the end of book five, right? You'd support that, correct?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  12. #84
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,717

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Ok. I'll stop into the TV thread once the new season of Game of Thrones starts just to tell everyone what happens to each character. I mean, after all, the books have been in print for some time and there's a lot of conversation about them on the internet so we should assume that everyone should just know the story through the end of book five, right? You'd support that, correct?
    Two things:

    First, I'm the wrong person to talk to on this because I intentionally spoil movies and TV shows for myself all the time. For example, I never read the Hunger Games books, but read the wiki synopses of all three to see if I thought it would be worth 8 hours of my time to see them all. I watch Downton Abbey, and since it runs in the UK a season ahead of it running in the US, I intentionally know what happens, partly just out of curiosity and partly because if it totally jumps the shark, I won't even get started on it. And I've never watched a single episode of Game of Thrones, so that wouldn't do anything for me anyway. If you want to avoid spoilers altogether and judge a film on it's own merits, a thread like this is probably the wrong place to be.

    Second, the characters in Game of Thrones are fictional. Chris Kyle was not.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  13. #85
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    9,897

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Second, the characters in Game of Thrones are fictional. Chris Kyle was not.
    So what? Your position appears to be that if the information is readily available to the public, it's quite ok to openly talk about it without reservation. What's the difference if it's a fictional story or based on reality?

    If you want to avoid spoilers altogether and judge a film on it's own merits, a thread like this is probably the wrong place to be.
    I pop into the thread to because it contains some good non-spoiler information about movies I might want to get a look at. I really don't think that expecting folks to be courteous enough to not spoil the ending of new-release films is too much to ask.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  14. Likes:

    dougdirt (01-03-2015)

  15. #86
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,717

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    So what? Your position appears to be that if the information is readily available to the public, it's quite ok to openly talk about it without reservation. What's the difference if it's a fictional story or based on reality?
    Same difference that allowed Cooper to talk about what happened to his "character" in promo interviews... Kyle wasn't actually a "character." It wasn't just the end of a movie. It was the end of a man's life.

    As far as "readily available" goes, I'd say there's a pretty large difference between the front page of cnn.com or the NYT and the places where you'd have to go to find spoilers on Game of Thrones, etc.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 01-03-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  16. #87
    MLB Baseball Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Just finished Boyhood. Spoiler alert, it's really long. Like, I feel like I accomplished something by getting through it one night.

    Obviously it was very good, really an amazing accomplishment.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (01-05-2015)

  18. #88
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post

    As far as "readily available" goes, I'd say there's a pretty large difference between the front page of cnn.com or the NYT and the places where you'd have to go to find spoilers on Game of Thrones, etc.
    Is the news on the front page of CNN.com right now? If I asked you about a story that was on the front page of CNN.com 2 years ago you would know it, right?

  19. #89
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,717

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is the news on the front page of CNN.com right now? If I asked you about a story that was on the front page of CNN.com 2 years ago you would know it, right?
    In the run-up to and since the release of the movie, Chris Kyle's widow has given numerous interviews to several news outlets.

    Any article about the movie describes Kyle in the past tense.

    His death may not be front page news right now, but it's not like the film production company or the media could (or should) keep his passing a secret.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  20. #90
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    In the run-up to and since the release of the movie, Chris Kyle's widow has given numerous interviews to several news outlets.

    Any article about the movie describes Kyle in the past tense.

    His death may not be front page news right now, but it's not like the film production company or the media could (or should) keep his passing a secret.
    Somehow I had no clue who this guy was or that this movie was based on a true story. I had interest in seeing it. I may still watch it when it comes out on Netflix or to rent through amazon/whoever.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator