Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

Re: Official Redszone Movie Thread, Part IV

It's never a good idea to give away plot points in a movie, but with American Sniper, the fact that he dies is of little consequence to plot or enjoyment of the movie. I think whether you see the movie knowing he dies or not knowing he dies, you will enjoy the movie the same. The vast majority of people who will see it, likely will know beforehand that he dies.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Somehow I had no clue who this guy was or that this movie was based on a true story. I had interest in seeing it. I may still watch it when it comes out on Netflix or to rent through amazon/whoever.
    The memoir was moderately controversial when it came out (that's more a discussion for the political forum), and the Jesse Ventura lawsuit got quite a bit of press. Then his death, and Ventura continuing the lawsuit against his estate. I'm not sure exactly why it stuck with me, because as you pointed out, I certainly wouldn't have remembered every news story in the past 3 years since the book came out, but this one did.

You guys might find this funny... My wife and I saw an ad for the movie yesterday... She says "I kinda want to see that, but I bet it's hard to watch." Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say. But if she'd heard me discussing it with someone else, it may have well "spoiled" it for her.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 01-04-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

4. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-04-2015)

Somehow I had no clue who this guy was or that this movie was based on a true story. I had interest in seeing it. I may still watch it when it comes out on Netflix or to rent through amazon/whoever.
    His death has nothing to do with the story. It is shown as an afterthought at the end. It's not the climax.

They call me "chef"

Your wife sounds like my kind of movie goer. The less you know is almost always better, so long as you are open to being challenged or surprised by a movie.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    The memoir was moderately controversial when it came out (that's more a discussion for the political forum), and the Jesse Ventura lawsuit got quite a bit of press. Then his death, and Ventura continuing the lawsuit against his estate. I'm not sure exactly why it stuck with me, because as you pointed out, I certainly wouldn't have remembered every news story in the past 3 years since the book came out, but this one did.

You guys might find this funny... My wife and I saw an ad for the movie yesterday... She says "I kinda want to see that, but I bet it's hard to watch." Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say. But if she'd heard me discussing it with someone else, it may have well "spoiled" it for her.
    That's funny. Yesterday I mentioned this thread to my wife. She said "I think almost everyone knows he's dead already." Then I asked if she wanted to know how the death was handled in the movie and she screamed "No!"
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    His death has nothing to do with the story. It is shown as an afterthought at the end. It's not the climax.
    Not to revive the dead horse but, to some, knowing HOW his death is handled in the story, whether it's an epic death scene or a quiet memorial prologue, is a spoiler.

There's more to life than Walk Rates and WAR

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Thinking of this thread, I asked if she knew what happened to him. She had not and said she did not want to know, going into the movie, so of course, I didn't say.
    And I'll bet she appreciated the courtesy.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Couple points here. My first post was not about the end of the movie, it was in reply to a comment about it.
    And as much as the spoiler police want to believe it, his death is not a spoiler in this movie. It is not what the movie is about. That was my main point is that it probably should have been, but it wasn't. I figured that the movie thread would be a good place to discuss this with others that have seen the movie, apparently not.

And if anything if you really didn't know this was a true story, I would imagine that learning that fact and some information about the subject would make it more interesting not spoil it.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed27; 01-04-2015 at 02:26 AM.

They call me "chef"

Saying what DOESN'T happen in the movie can, in some cases, be as frustrating to people who are interested in watching a movie.

If I talk about how Josh Brolin's character dies at the end of No Country for Old Men three days after it's released in theatres and someone who hasn't seen it takes offense at the spoiler, I can't just say "Dude. They don't even show him die in the movie. It's all off screen. And, besides, trust me. Knowing he gets killed doesn't change whether you'll like the movie, because the movie isn't really about paying off the mounting tension between the main characters."

In fact, I'll go back to being an extremist about this. If you have to say "Dude..." and then give a tangential excuse why talking about specific plot points isn't a spoiler ("It's a true story!" "It was on CNN two years ago" "His death wasn't LITERALLY on screen..." "There's an NPR podcast where the director talks about that plot point..." "The trailer shows a 1 second frame from the final scene!") then you're working too hard. Just bite your tongue and say the following prayer:

Lord, I do not know what I do
    But please give me the knowledge to understand that, although I don't care, this matters to other people
    And give me the strength to find other ways of discussing a new movie without directly addressing what does or doesn't happen in the end
    Or the middle
    Or, in some cases, the beginning
    And if someone still accuses me of spoilers
    Give me the patience to acknowledge their feelings
    Before I launch into a defensive retaliatory attack about how they're stifling my freedom of expression
    And if the above is too complicated for me to understand
    Strike me down
    Now
    Before I start my comments on the end of Selma
    Amen.

He dies!?!?!

15. Likes:

Larry Schuler (01-04-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    He dies!?!?!
    No, no I saw him in W. after that, he lived.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

As long as he is around to play Thanos I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Your wife sounds like my kind of movie goer. The less you know is almost always better, so long as you are open to being challenged or surprised by a movie.
    And I'm the type who doesn't much care what some film critic or internet hack says about a movie because my own interpretation of what I see will be far more important to me than the opinions of others. If the acting and storylines are worth it, then I'll see most anything, even if I already know the outcome.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

If I talk about how Josh Brolin's character dies at the end of No Country for Old Men three days after it's released in theatres and someone who hasn't seen it takes offense at the spoiler, I can't just say "Dude. They don't even show him die in the movie. It's all off screen. And, besides, trust me. Knowing he gets killed doesn't change whether you'll like the movie, because the movie isn't really about paying off the mounting tension between the main characters."
    If you knew that the Brolin character died in the middle of "No Country" it would absolutely ruin the movie. Sorry, not a good analogy.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?