Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 68 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part II

They call me "chef"

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part II

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm not sure what Charlotte's angle is or why William doesn't seem to be in as complete control as Mr. Castellini.
    Pretty sure Charlotte wants the technology for something along the lines of uploading human consciousness into host bodies. She was vocally disinterested in the theme park entirely but very interested in the technology.

I think William is just an investor who wanted to keep the park alive. He doesn't want to control what happens. He wants the opposite of that and was hoping 'the maze' would bring him the chaos he thirsted for and give the hosts, most notably Delores, the freedom he initially wanted for her in the past. If you haven't yet, I would recommend re-watching the series. I was ahead of my wife before she decided to watch with me so I had the benefit of watching the first 8 episodes twice- it helps a lot to make sense of all the stray details and clues. I think they really nailed the build and set up...more than for any show I've seen I think. Only Elsie and Stubbs whereabouts were left weirdly unexplained and I have a feeling those are being saved for season 2. Everything else was meticulously set up and explained.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Stubbs was killed by being shot with a mistletoe, but I may be confusing him with Thor's other brother.

As for William, didn't he say that he held the controlling interest in Delos? I kind of wanted to see him killed and resurrected as an automaton, the way Arnold was, thus fulfilling the connection with the Yul Brenner character.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The entire show ended up being about the bicameral mind, which is great. When I first read about that theory it blew my mind (even though it's probably not true.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The entire show ended up being about the bicameral mind, which is great. When I first read about that theory it blew my mind (even though it's probably not true.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
    They may have one-upped Dan Brown with the Michaelangelo Brain bit.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I was picturing something like Roger Zelazny's life-altering pattern-walking in The Chronicles of Amber, and instead we get a toy from a gumball machine
    The maze isn't for you. It's for Corwin.

My general take on the last episode, and really the whole season, is that it was unsatisfying. Feels to me like the end point should have been the midseason moment after which they take it to a higher gear. What we got was, essentially 10.5 hours of backstory. It was all one big "What the hell's going on?" What it needed was some propulsive forward motion. If they wanted to end where they did, the park takeover should have been a lot harder. The humans in the show have been little more than props. Ford's plan went off without a hitch because it's not like he was up against competent opposition. I assume next season the humans strike back, but we really have no context for the stakes of what just happened. The violence also felt cheap. We didn't see any internal struggle with violating the primary rule of robotics.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (12-06-2016)

Just started The Grand Tour on Amazon. It's not quite as good as (the original) Top Gear, which was just so masterful, but it's off to a good start. If they can pay half the respect to cars and create the same level of interplay between Clarkson, May and Hammond as they did on the BBC then I'll watch it forever.

If you are not familiar with the show, I highly recommend going back and looking at Top Gear, especially the last two seasons when they really got into the international excursions. I could watch the Vietnam and the India trips over and over; the production is visually stunning and, somewhat like Michael Palin did in his travel show, they offer a different perspective of these countries than we are used to in the states.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I kinda saw the William MIB thing coming, but didn't expect Dr. Ford to go legendary like that. I love Westworld for making you wonder, but they kinda took advantage of that too. Show could have been better by clearing up a few things early on and letting the story tell itself. They purposely went all Lost which is OK if you need it, but they didn't. Show stands up fine on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I kinda saw the William MIB thing coming, but didn't expect Dr. Ford to go legendary like that. I love Westworld for making you wonder, but they kinda took advantage of that too. Show could have been better by clearing up a few things early on and letting the story tell itself. They purposely went all Lost which is OK if you need it, but they didn't. Show stands up fine on its own.
    We never saw who Ford was printing in the basement of that house. The immediate theory was that it was Teresa. Perhaps it was Ford.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

11. Likes:

Stray (12-10-2016)

They call me "chef"

Narrative symmetry would suggest that Bernard/Arnold returns the favor in Season 2 and he becomes the mentor/creator who brings host Ford (Dorf?) into this world. That would be more interesting to me than Ford cowardly letting his host self get shot while he hides in the attic and makes howling wolf sounds.

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (12-11-2016)

I'm pulling for "Fodr"
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I know that Westworld kinda got kicked in the pants for their use of pop music, but I liked it. Maybe it makes me an easy mark but one of my favorite scenes was Maeve touring the upper levels as the string version of Radio Head's "Motion Picture Soundtrack" played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought of the player piano as a nod to "Hey Jude" in the Dark Tower.

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (12-14-2016)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I know that Westworld kinda got kicked in the pants for their use of pop music, but I liked it. Maybe it makes me an easy mark but one of my favorite scenes was Maeve touring the upper levels as the string version of Radio Head's "Motion Picture Soundtrack" played.

I had no idea about that backlash against the use of the pop covers but a friend of mine is an actor on the show and he went off on a faux-rant one day defending the use of the Radiohead/Rolling Stones covers. I thought they worked really well and never considered people would hate on it.

19. Likes:

Razor Shines (12-14-2016)

I read the Vulture article criticizing it, and then I saw some Twitter comments knocking it. Seemed like an odd complaint to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I had no idea about that backlash against the use of the pop covers but a friend of mine is an actor on the show and he went off on a faux-rant one day defending the use of the Radiohead/Rolling Stones covers. I thought they worked really well and never considered people would hate on it.
    And yeah, I did pretend it's no big deal that you have a friend who's on the show but what I thinking was "damnit, that's pretty cool."

Turn Off Ads?