Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part II

Re: Official Redszone TV Thread, Part II

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Who's playing Saturn Girl in this?
    Different Legion. I think this one is based on the Marvel mutant who is the insane son of Charles Xavier.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Different Legion. I think this one is based on the Marvel mutant who is the insane son of Charles Xavier.
    I wouldn't call Chameleon Boy insane.

Sorry; I'm talking about the real Legion.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

Big Klu (02-09-2017)

I wouldn't call Chameleon Boy insane.

Sorry; I'm talking about the real Legion.
    DC fanboy.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

Big Klu (02-09-2017),marcshoe (02-09-2017)

I'm getting ready to switch from HBO to Starz when American Gods starts, so I've been binging Game of Thrones. I'd read the books but only seen the first season and scattered episodes. I'm halfway through season six now. One thing that struck me is how much more graphic the show is (no pun intended). For instance, in the books, Ramsey sends part of Theon's finger to his family. In the show he sends something else (that particular action is only hinted at). There are other such differences, such as Robb's now-pregnant wife (a completely different person than the books) being one of the red wedding victims. Kind of funny how neither Robb nor Catelyn were particularly appealing characters in either one, but their murder changes the whole tone of the story, since the Stark fortunes took such a hit with this act. Overall the show seems to be quite a bit more bloody.

I thought season 6 was supposed to be after the now-written books, but we got the Kingsmoot, unfortunately. It's one thing to hate a character because he's so evil, but in the books I found Euron Greyjoy completely intolerable. It is very well done, though, and I was glad not to see Tyrion and friend acting out "The bear and the maiden fair".
    I kind of like Euron in the books. He's been places. He knows what's up. In fact, he might be the only person on the board right now who can do anything about Dany's dragons after they reach Westeros (not that he wants to do anything good with them). I mean, think about it, she's bringing the medieval equivalent of nukes and a horde of marauders. How does that not turn into tyranny? What TV Euron lacks is the take-over-the-world ambition of the one in the books. Aspiring to be king in Pyke is a pretty tawdry goal.

Still not sure what to make of no Young Griff/Aegon in the show. That's Varys' big play in the books.

I liked Robb quite a bit in both the books and show. He was the easy sympathetic choice in the War of the Five Kings. Catelyn was a busybody who unwittingly set the world, and her family, on fire. Doesn't seem death has improved her.

And Tyrion's a Targaryen, right? He's got to be the Mad King's bastard lovechild.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (02-10-2017),Redsfaithful (02-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, I finished Goliath last night. It seemed to me that the last few episodes really rushed through a few storylines after building them up earlier in the season. That was a bit disappointing, but I still enjoyed the first (and maybe only season), but the first four or five episodes were definitely much better than the last three.
    That's how I felt too. I thought Billy Bob was excellent, but he was way better than the show. It turns into basically a really long CBS procedural at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Legion.

I can't wait.
    I'm going to keep watching, but honestly I didn't like the first episode that much.

I watched Legion and maybe it will grow on me, but an incredibly powerful mutant/being/wizard who doesn't realize the extent of his/her powers and gets caught up in a world of intrigue feels a bit played out to me. It's the stock super-person coming of age story. I'm hoping they quickly move past the know-nothing stage and get to who the main players are and why I'm supposed to care that they're playing.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

And Tyrion's a Targaryen, right? He's got to be the Mad King's bastard lovechild.
    That was rumored in the books themselves, but I can't see that actually being the case what with Jon filling that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    That was rumored in the books themselves, but I can't see that actually being the case what with Jon filling that role.
    They've got three dragons and only two Targaryens to ride them. Note how the dragons didn't eat or scorch Tyrion last season in the show. Also, Jon is Rhaegar's kid. Tyrion would be his uncle.

14. Likes:

marcshoe (02-10-2017)

They've got three dragons and only two Targaryens to ride them. Note how the dragons didn't eat or scorch Tyrion last season in the show. Also, Jon is Rhaegar's kid. Tyrion would be his uncle.
    I'm afraid one of the dragons isn't going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm afraid one of the dragons isn't going to make it.
    Quite possible. All three of the dragons might not make it, though there is the three-headed dragon prophecy.

Finished season six. Well, they certainly cut down on the cast!

While Robb was easy to root for, I felt like he became a bit boring after a while, particularly considering how vital we assumed he was to the story. That didn't go the way I thought it would, but the Red Wedding was the impetus for much that came after.

I'm not sure whether the Tyrian parentage speculation will turn out to be true, but it is what I'd like to see. I am a bit worried about the Sansa/Littlefinger arc right now, but I'm guessing she eventually kills him. Sansa has been made into a stronger character than in the books, and I care a little more about what happens to her. I keep thinking that Arya is going to renounce violence, but not quite yet.

I'm curious as to whether Martin will make an effort to reconcile differences when (if?) the next book comes out. One thing I would like to see is a linear account of Robert's rebellion and the surrounding events. I'm sure there is a timeline somewhere on the internets.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I really do want a Robert's Rebellion prequel series on HBO.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm going to keep watching, but honestly I didn't like the first episode that much.
    I watched Legion and maybe it will grow on me, but an incredibly powerful mutant/being/wizard who doesn't realize the extent of his/her powers and gets caught up in a world of intrigue feels a bit played out to me. It's the stock super-person coming of age story. I'm hoping they quickly move past the know-nothing stage and get to who the main players are and why I'm supposed to care that they're playing.
    That's Legion's whole deal. He's often completely out of touch with reality. He also has thousands of personalities each with a different power. He's an Omega level mutant, up there with Apocalypse.

I liked that they referred to him as a mutant. But they have set this in a standalone universe. They've given him a sister, no reference to the X-Men or the rest of the Marvel TV or Cinematic Universe(s). That, I am not a fan of. No mention of Xavier as his father. Marvel, unlike DC, has re-created/kept its entire multiverse with a tweak here and there. So this is just an alternate version of Legion.

I liked what I saw so far, but it looks like it will play out as a government agency vs lone mutant for a while.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That's Legion's whole deal. He's often completely out of touch with reality. He also has thousands of personalities each with a different power. He's an Omega level mutant, up there with Apocalypse.

I liked that they referred to him as a mutant. But they have set this in a standalone universe. They've given him a sister, no reference to the X-Men or the rest of the Marvel TV or Cinematic Universe(s). That, I am not a fan of. No mention of Xavier as his father. Marvel, unlike DC, has re-created/kept its entire multiverse with a tweak here and there. So this is just an alternate version of Legion.

I liked what I saw so far, but it looks like it will play out as a government agency vs lone mutant for a while.
    I will say that I have zero knowledge of the character and have never read the comics. I did a once over of the Wikipedia page while I was watching the show because I wasn't quite sure what I was watching.

Turn Off Ads?