Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game thread part 2

Video Game thread part 2

I cannot, for the life of me, find the long running video game thread in here so I'll start a new one.

I got my hands on Dragon Age Inquisition and I must say it's hands down the best game I've played all year. It's everything Dragon Age 2 should have been.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Video Game thread part 2

I just started the new Assassin's Creed, but I'm not that far into it. I also like the Total War series. I'm currently going through Rome 2.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

MikeThierry is right, Dragon Age Inquisition is a fantastic game. I also picked up AC Unity but haven't spent much time with it. I can say that Paris is beautiful in the game and feels like a living, breathing city.

5. Likes:

MikeThierry (11-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I just started the new Assassin's Creed, but I'm not that far into it. I also like the Total War series. I'm currently going through Rome 2.
    I loved the Total War series though I think Rome: Total War was my favorite out of all of them. I didn't try Rome 2 for some reason. Still, for a time when the Rome: Total War community was active, I would go so far to say I was one of the best in the world at the game via multiplayer. My friend and I once had a 72 game winning streak against other opponents.

MikeThierry is right, Dragon Age Inquisition is a fantastic game. I also picked up AC Unity but haven't spent much time with it. I can say that Paris is beautiful in the game and feels like a living, breathing city.
    I'm so far behind on my AC games right now and I've yet to play the second expansion to AC2. I've heard great things about Unity.

As far as Dragon Age Inquisition goes, it's like Skyrim. It's such a massive game that there might be too much content, if that's possible.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I just started Tomb Raider: Anniversary for xbox 360 last week. Why? It was $5.00 and I needed something to play over the winter.

8. Likes:

MikeThierry (11-23-2014)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I just finished "Mass Effect" for the first time last night (a similar $5 purchase at GameStop). Totally blown away with how good it was -- even after years of people telling me I had to check it out. I went out and bought 2 & 3 today (also for $5 each). Can't wait to get going with them over the holiday week.

Also strongly considering jumping in to the new gen of systems soon. The XBox One (w/ AC Unity) is going for ~$300 in a lot of places on Black Friday. Seems like a solid deal.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me, find the long running video game thread in here so I'll start a new one.

I got my hands on Dragon Age Inquisition and I must say it's hands down the best game I've played all year. It's everything Dragon Age 2 should have been.
    Just started DA:I as well. My only disappointed at the moment is that I'm playing it on PC and the UI was very, very clearly designed for console. It's a bit clunky to use, with menus using far too little screen space for a setting where you're 18 inches away from the screen and thus requiring multiple levels to move in and out of. I also find the camera a bit odd, as I'm unable to look "up" sufficiently well for my liking, nor zoom out enough to make the overhead tactical view worthwhile. I'm guessing they basically ran out of time to add a PC specific UI and will be overhauling it via patches in the coming months. I'm only ~3 hours in to the game itself though and really enjoying it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Just started DA:I as well. My only disappointed at the moment is that I'm playing it on PC and the UI was very, very clearly designed for console. It's a bit clunky to use, with menus using far too little screen space for a setting where you're 18 inches away from the screen and thus requiring multiple levels to move in and out of. I also find the camera a bit odd, as I'm unable to look "up" sufficiently well for my liking, nor zoom out enough to make the overhead tactical view worthwhile. I'm guessing they basically ran out of time to add a PC specific UI and will be overhauling it via patches in the coming months. I'm only ~3 hours in to the game itself though and really enjoying it.
    It is pretty much meant for console but at the same time, I think the processing power of a PC makes it almost equal. From my experience, I have almost zero loading times and some of the lagging that the console version is experiencing right now.

By the way, if you get into a love story with the Iron Bull, you'll spit out what ever drink you're drinking laughing. I can't post it here because the language is NSFW but I saw a youtube video where he was paired up with a male companion. It's arguably the funniest thing Bioware put in their video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I just finished "Mass Effect" for the first time last night (a similar $5 purchase at GameStop). Totally blown away with how good it was -- even after years of people telling me I had to check it out. I went out and bought 2 & 3 today (also for $5 each). Can't wait to get going with them over the holiday week.

Also strongly considering jumping in to the new gen of systems soon. The XBox One (w/ AC Unity) is going for ~$300 in a lot of places on Black Friday. Seems like a solid deal.

I think for a trilogy of games, it was far and away the most well thought out storyline of any series I've seen. A lot of people complain about the ending of Mass Effect 3 but it seems those complaints are from people who wanted a puppy dog and rainbows type ending and people who didn't spend time getting enough points to unlock all the possible endings. If you get 4000+ military strength, you have the ability to unlock every single ending. My advice, Caveat, is do as many missions as possible with the remaining games because it's quite rewarding.

Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the information on the upcoming game "No Man's Sky". It looks bloody amazing and I believe it will change the way developers develop games. This game was developed by a team with just under ten guys, which is amazing. It's technically a multiplayer game but the "No Man's Sky" universe is so massive that you literally might never see anyone. The game generates millions upon millions of different worlds in which each world itself takes more time to explore than years you have on your life. The scope is something I've never seen before. Here is some information on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

http://www.businessinsider.in/Why-No...w/36862274.cms

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...nets-mans-sky/
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 11-23-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I think for a trilogy of games, it was far and away the most well thought out storyline of any series I've seen. A lot of people complain about the ending of Mass Effect 3 but it seems those complaints are from people who wanted a puppy dog and rainbows type ending and people who didn't spend time getting enough points to unlock all the possible endings. If you get 4000+ military strength, you have the ability to unlock every single ending. My advice, Caveat, is do as many missions as possible with the remaining games because it's quite rewarding.

Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the information on the upcoming game "No Man's Sky". It looks bloody amazing and I believe it will change the way developers develop games. This game was developed by a team with just under ten guys, which is amazing. It's technically a multiplayer game but the "No Man's Sky" universe is so massive that you literally might never see anyone. The game generates millions upon millions of different worlds in which each world itself takes more time to explore than years you have on your life. The scope is something I've never seen before. Here is some information on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

http://www.businessinsider.in/Why-No...w/36862274.cms

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/...nets-mans-sky/
    Regarding the ME3 ending, there was a fan theory out there regarding indoctrination that was much cooler than the actual ending and actually fit the content that was already there perfectly. It was hardly a "happy" ending, but it was much more imaginative than the set of endings the devs stuck with. That said, the series was an absolute blast and I highly recommend it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Anyone else play on multiple platforms? I have a PS4, a PC I only use for games, and I have some games on my MacBook. I buy different types of games for different platforms, depending on the type of game and how I'll probably be playing it.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Just built a new computer a couple of weeks ago, loving it so far. I've been playing Shadows of Mordor a little bit. It's pretty fun, but I haven't got to play too much. The rest of my Steam library are mostly older games like Skyrim, Bioshock and a few others. Will prolly check out some Black Friday sales and pick a couple up.

Any recommendations for PC games?

I've been playing a lot of Civ 5. And there's a big Steam sale going on right now, so I bought a bunch of stuff I've missed over the years - I've been playing a game every day while I eat lunch. Sort of feels more productive than aimlessly browsing the internet.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Anyone on Redszone playing Destiny on PS4? I am looking for a few more people to do raids/nightfall/weekly with. I have some people I play with already, but I'm always looking for more. If you are interested let me know.

I've been playing a disgusting amount of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros for Wii U. Nothing you haven't seen before, but polished to perfection, and so much to do. Have always preferred the local multiplayer experience, though I will play MK8 online if no one is around.

Turn Off Ads?