Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

A fairly stellar group of inductees next year.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
    Green Day
    Bill Withers
    Lou Reed
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Likewise, Ringo Starr will received the Award for Musical Excellence and the "5" Royales will enter under the "Early Influences" category. The "5" Royales were the original artists who recorded "Dedicated to the One I Love" which the Mamas and Papas had a #2 Hit with. The Shirelles also hit the charts with it too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...=hp_mm&hpid=z4
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Joan Jett eh?

Meh

Where's ELO?

4. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-08-2015),Revering4Blue (12-23-2014)

For a Level Playing Field

Green Day and Joan Jett? A real joke considering bands like Deep Purple and Iron Maiden are not in while Billie Joe and Joan get to be inductees. As a matter of fact Billie Joe and Joan would be embarrassed to sing next to the late Ronnie James Dio (who had three successful ROCK bands). But this is old news to real ROCK fans. The Cleveland thing by the lake is a sham. It is run by the record industry and most things done there are all about making more money (regardless of what they tell us). Just like the recording industry that has screwed over many talented acts for crap.

No diss to those to be inducted, but let the truth be told. I am not sure what ROCK is considering some of the names there.

6. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (12-16-2014)

Even if Green Day hadn't released another album after Dookie, they'd be deserving. That album introduced punk to the mainstream and kept it there.

Musically, they fall short of many not in the Hall of Fame. But in terms of historical significance, they belong.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Even if Green Day hadn't released another album after Dookie, they'd be deserving. That album introduced punk to the mainstream and kept it there.

Musically, they fall short of many not in the Hall of Fame. But in terms of historical significance, they belong.
    American Idiot is genius

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    American Idiot is genius
    Sure is, although I didn't really care for the idea of a modern rock opera at the time. But a decade later, it remains among the best musical social commentary out there. How many other decade-old albums are still relevant today?

I have to say, I'm not that familiar with Green Day, other than knowing the name. My daughter's reaction to the post I put of the article on Facebook was "Green Day? Really?". When I asked her about it in a email, she replied, "They're just so angsty teenage punk rock. I didn't realize anyone took them seriously!". On FB, I told her I didn't know them, they were after what I always called "my jazz period" and that they were actually in my "raising my kids" period.

WOY's mention of ELO is actually one of the band's that I didn't know well other than by name because I wasn't listening to much rock during that period (I was the same way with Pink Floyd and Queen - I thought of Queen as a "novelty" act until I really listened to their musicianship and came to appreciate them).

I'm likewise not very familiar with Jett's body of work. She's among those artists who are nearer to my age, so I never really heard much of them when they were up and coming.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Joe, if you have an hour to spare, listen to American Idiot in its entirety (radio did it a disservice by playing singles). It may not resonate with you, but I think you'll find that that album especially isn't angsty teenage punk pop.

Although to be fair, Green Day had a mid-career run of forgettable stuff between 1997 and 2004.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2014),redsmetz (12-16-2014),Spider Tre (12-19-2014)

I've been pushing ELO for so long that it seems redundant at this point.

As for Joan Jett, I lived in Australia when "I Love Rock and Roll" was out, and a guy named Molly Meldrum had a weekly top ten countdown show on TV. Tim and Neil Finn, then of Split Enz, were his guests (supporting Time and Tide, with the singles "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" and "Dirty Creature") when the song hit number one, and they didn't exactly have nice things to say about it. They considered it commercial pap, iirc. This upset Meldrum, but I sided with the Finn Brothers. Kind of funny seeing Jett critically respected now. Seems almost revisionist, really.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Why'd it take this long for Lou Reed? Goodness.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm assuming he was already in with The Velvet Underground, but yeah, seems like he'd be in solo by now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Co-signed. My reaction to seeing his name was, "Wait, he wasn't already in?!?" They really missed the boat by not inducting him as a solo artist before he passed.

I thought Green Day was going to be a one album wonder. Shows what I know.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Green Day and Joan Jett? A real joke considering bands like Deep Purple and Iron Maiden are not in while Billie Joe and Joan get to be inductees. As a matter of fact Billie Joe and Joan would be embarrassed to sing next to the late Ronnie James Dio (who had three successful ROCK bands). But this is old news to real ROCK fans. The Cleveland thing by the lake is a sham. It is run by the record industry and most things done there are all about making more money (regardless of what they tell us). Just like the recording industry that has screwed over many talented acts for crap.

No diss to those to be inducted, but let the truth be told. I am not sure what ROCK is considering some of the names there.
    Agree whole heartedly with you. Sorry Green Day may have some merit i suppose but seriously over the likes of Deep purple ? It would appear the RRHOF committee or whoever is in charge of electing bands needs to be replaced. I guess there just going to over look the whole late 70's 80's hard rock /metal era ? Sorry Joan Jett is not exactly H.O.F material seems like a throw in.As for Green day really sorry you can tell me until your'e blue in the face about how great american idiot was and all there music but i don't think there anymore worthy than say Bon Jovi or Ratt or any other big name 80's hard rock act . Id put Journey,Kansas, Foreigner in before i would even think about green day

Foreigner is maybe the worst band of all time, the Creed of the late 70's

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2014),919191 (12-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?