Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I thought Green Day was going to be a one album wonder. Shows what I know.
    Kerplunk?

2. Likes:

RichRed (12-16-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Agree whole heartedly with you. Sorry Green Day may have some merit i suppose but seriously over the likes of Deep purple ? It would appear the RRHOF committee or whoever is in charge of electing bands needs to be replaced. I guess there just going to over look the whole late 70's 80's hard rock /metal era ? Sorry Joan Jett is not exactly H.O.F material seems like a throw in.As for Green day really sorry you can tell me until your'e blue in the face about how great american idiot was and all there music but i don't think there anymore worthy than say Bon Jovi or Ratt or any other big name 80's hard rock act . Id put Journey,Kansas, Foreigner in before i would even think about green day
    It seems that you object based on the style of Green Day instead of their accomplishments. The type of music doesn't suit you, and that's okay. But how many of the bands above created defining albums in two different decades or defined a new mainstream genre? None of them.

If anyone were to ask me who defines 70s and 80s hard rock, my answer isn't going to be Foreigner or Ratt or anyone else on your list, all of who were derivatives of already successful bands.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-16-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It seems that you object based on the style of Green Day instead of their accomplishments. The type of music doesn't suit you, and that's okay. But how many of the bands above created defining albums in two different decades or defined a new mainstream genre? None of them.
    Defining is a matter of definition, right? Pun intended, but seriously. Obviously I am not a Green Fan and you are. And that is all good. But Rock H-of-F? No way, no how. It makes me laugh at this building next to Lake Erie and roll my eyes at ever paying "another" nickel to go inside. I have been twice in the past but now they have really done it. No more! I am sure my money will not be missed, but I will not be an American Idiot. A farce I say. Joan Jett and Billie Joe. I can understand Green Day possibly in 20 years. But not today. Oh well. The Goo Goo Dolls s/b happy (and Third Eye Blind). Green Day opens the door for them (w/out the political supporters lol).

6. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (12-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Defining is a matter of definition, right? Pun intended, but seriously. Obviously I am not a Green Fan and you are. And that is all good. But Rock H-of-F? No way, no how. It makes me laugh at this building next to Lake Erie and roll my eyes at ever paying "another" nickel to go inside. I have been twice in the past but now they have really done it. No more! I am sure my money will not be missed, but I will not be an American Idiot. A farce I say. Joan Jett and Billie Joe. I can understand Green Day possibly in 20 years. But not today. Oh well. The Goo Goo Dolls s/b happy (and Third Eye Blind). Green Day opens the door for them (w/out the political supporters lol).
    I'm actually not a big fan of Green Day or punk in general even though I'm defending them (I don't dislike them). My preferences aren't going to cloud my judgement of who is and isn't worthy of induction.

And let's not get silly, Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind won't get in. Dave Grohl will get in for the second time on a first-round ballot next year though. Is that going to cause a problem?
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-16-2014 at 03:14 PM.

8. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (12-16-2014),RedFanAlways1966 (12-16-2014),westofyou (12-16-2014)

True Ratt may not have been the most original band .Sure they were copying what Aerosmith/Van Halen had done a decade earlier. But you could argue that there albums were just as influential back in the early to mid 80's as Green days could you not? Really Green Day weren't doing anything the clash hadn't done 20 years or so earlier with London calling or combat rock .

[/QUOTE] If anyone were to ask me who defines 70s and 80s hard rock, my answer isn't going to be Foreigner or Ratt or anyone else on your list, all of who were derivatives of already successful bands.[/QUOTE]

Isn't most rock music when broken down to it's core a derivative of there predecessors . I mean im not huge Green day fan but i think to say there more deserving because of there somehow cooler ? or have a album critically praised? The Pop punk scene ala Green Day The offspring etc..are the 90's equivalent of the 80's L.A.hair metal scene . I suppose it's just a matter of taste and opinion .

I'm actually not a big fan of Green Day or punk in general even though I'm defending them (I don't dislike them). My preferences aren't going to cloud my judgement of who is and isn't worthy of induction.

And let's not get silly, Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind won't get in. Dave Grohl will get in for the second time on a first-round ballot next year though. Is that going to cause a problem?
    Isn't the rule 25 years? the Foo's won't be getting in until 2020...maybe.
    Go Gators!

Green Day is deserving IMO, who will they induct In say 10 years? I keep waiting for Rock to come back but I don't think it will.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    True Ratt may not have been the most original band .Sure they were copying what Aerosmith/Van Halen had done a decade earlier. But you could argue that there albums were just as influential back in the early to mid 80's as Green days could you not? Really Green Day weren't doing anything the clash hadn't done 20 years or so earlier with London calling or combat rock .

If anyone were to ask me who defines 70s and 80s hard rock, my answer isn't going to be Foreigner or Ratt or anyone else on your list, all of who were derivatives of already successful bands.

Isn't most rock music when broken down to it's core a derivative of there predecessors . I mean im not huge Green day fan but i think to say there more deserving because of there somehow cooler ? or have a album critically praised? The Pop punk scene ala Green Day The offspring etc..are the 90's equivalent of the 80's L.A.hair metal scene . I suppose it's just a matter of taste and opinion .

Green Day wasn't the first, but they were the first to break through. That, in my opinion, is the reason they should be inducted. And while 90s punk is a derivative of earlier punk styles (itself a derivative of garage rock and others), it had yet to be represented in the Hall of Fame.

In 1994, punk was still a niche until Dookie happened. That album went diamond in the US and again outside of it. Compare that with the sales success of Green Day's influences:

- The Ramones went gold twice.
    - The Dead Kennedys went gold twice.
    - Social Distortion went gold twice.
    - The Sex Pistols had one album go double platinum in the UK and two others go gold.
    - Bad Religion went gold once.
    - NOFX went gold twice.
    - The Clash went double platinum once, platinum once, and gold twice. They're also in the Hall of Fame.

I can't say whether The Offspring would have achieved the same level of success with Smash without Green Day since it came on the heels of Dookie. But I think Green Day has the more rightful claim by getting there first and for the impact of American Idiot ten years later.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-17-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Isn't the rule 25 years? the Foo's won't be getting in until 2020...maybe.
    Yep, you're right. I was thinking 20 years.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Green Day is deserving IMO, who will they induct In say 10 years? I keep waiting for Rock to come back but I don't think it will.
    This is a fun list to look through: http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future.php

16. Likes:

redsmetz (12-16-2014)

What exactly is the criteria for the Hall of Fame? It seems very clear to me looking at this list that this crop in particular has a heavy bent of "influence" -- you can trace a pretty clear path from what they did to other artists and musical movements that came afterward. And I would agree that influence and innovation are probably better markers for a thing like this than quality of music, since the latter is so subjective. Not that, like, Britney Spears would make it in (barring some spectacular career turn) despite any influence she's had on pop moppets...but nobody on this list is an artist that a large number of people don't think is of good quality.

Influence and innovation are not the same thing, of course (innovation alone would have gotten Kraftwerk in), but they're related. paintmered has outlined Green Day's effect of bringing punk into the mainstream very well. They have also had A HUGE influence on theater, both mainstream and underground. On the type of work that gets produced, on where the money goes, on who is making theater now, honest to god way down to how actors are trained to sing. And that likewise has had an influence back on bands as well. This has happened in less than 10 years. That's extraordinary for a band that originated strictly in the music world and I have no doubt that played a role.

Same thing with Joan Jett. Joan Jett led directly to riot grrrls, the Go Gos, Sleater-Kinney, a feminist message in music...truly the landscape of music would be different without her. She also had a successful independent solo career after pretty much no label would touch her, which was unheard of at the time and played a big role in the foundation of indie (in the traditional sense) music, for both men and women.

The influence factor would also sort of explain why Reed hasn't been on his own -- as influential as he was as a solo artist, I don't think anyone would argue that the Velvet Underground didn't have a bigger impact. Same to a lesser degree with Sting. Of the nine other nominees that didn't make it, though, I think the ones that most baffle me as far as influence goes are the Smiths and especially N.W.A.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-17-2014),paintmered (12-16-2014),redsmetz (12-19-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Joan Jett also produced the Germs, am I right or am I right?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Kids play video games, listen to rap.

The good music is still there, it's just nobody cares.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-17-2014),919191 (12-17-2014),cinredsfan2000 (12-16-2014),westofyou (12-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Kids play video games, listen to rap.

The good music is still there, it's just nobody cares.
    Good point, I keep thinking rock will cycle back like when grunge hit.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Here's an interesting piece about the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's selection:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...-hall-of-fame/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?