Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Re: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2015 announced

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Here's an interesting piece about the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's selection:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-...-hall-of-fame/
    Interesting, and seems to go along with the influence factor as well. For the past couple of years I've been caretaker of my friend's dead father's record collection while she's been living abroad (got that?) It's chock-a-block with the white man's blues. I've been surprised of how much of it is familiar to me -- not the songs themselves per se, but the sound of it.

Also, kids today are as into music as they ever were, if not more. I think it just doesn't look that way to a lot of us because the way they acquire and digest it is so different than what we grew up with. But most teenagers follow music on some level, tastes all over the place, and I would argue that there's even wider knowledge of a broader range of music among them now because it's so easy for them to access it and develop their taste early.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-19-2014),redsmetz (12-17-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Interesting, and seems to go along with the influence factor as well. For the past couple of years I've been caretaker of my friend's dead father's record collection while she's been living abroad (got that?) It's chock-a-block with the white man's blues. I've been surprised of how much of it is familiar to me -- not the songs themselves per se, but the sound of it.

Also, kids today are as into music as they ever were, if not more. I think it just doesn't look that way to a lot of us because the way they acquire and digest it is so different than what we grew up with. But most teenagers follow music on some level, tastes all over the place, and I would argue that there's even wider knowledge of a broader range of music among them now because it's so easy for them to access it and develop their taste early.
    I had quite the vinyl collection back in the day. But my kids absconded with with most of the good stuff. Now I'm left with Grand Funk Railroad, Dan Fogelberg, and the Dixie Dregs.

I like Green Day and think they are worthy. As is Joan Jett. With rock, you have to be be perpetually adolescent to like it. Which is why I still do
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-19-2014),757690 (12-23-2014),BluegrassRedleg (12-20-2014),paintmered (12-19-2014),redsmetz (12-19-2014),RichRed (12-19-2014)

Here's an article about Steve Cropper talking about the significance of the "5" Royales (and the photo confirms what I had suspected, they were yet one more of the many early influential performers who recorded here at King Records - we had a legitimate claim for placement of the R&R HOF here in the Queen City).

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014...-hall-of-fame/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Here's an NPR interview with Steve Cropper on the album he put together as a tribute to the "5" Royales (which, BTW, the Cincy library has plenty of copies of).

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/14/139586...s-unsung-idols
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

My votes would go to Warren Zevon and Squeeze, both before Joan Jett.
    Where we gonna go?

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-23-2014),westofyou (12-19-2014)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This is a fun list to look through: http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future.php
    Ah, Tool. Rumor has it, they named their last album "10,000 Days" because that's exactly how long they plan on waiting before releasing another one.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-22-2014)

Future RRHOF'ers off the top of my head:

Phish
    Trey Anastacio
    The Black Keys
    Radiohead
    Modest Mouse
    Dave Matthews Band
    Pearl Jam
    Weezer
    Queens of the Stone Age
    The White Stripes
    The Strokes
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Rage Against the Machine
    John Mayer

There are many yet to get in.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

John Mayer...oh man. Oh man oh man oh man.

I need a drink.

14. Likes:

Joseph (12-27-2014)

The Strokes ?
    Why not just let any band who were remotely popular into the hall maybe by then Deep purple and yes and elp might be in .

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Future RRHOF'ers off the top of my head:

Phish
    Trey Anastacio
    The Black Keys
    Radiohead
    Modest Mouse
    Dave Matthews Band
    Pearl Jam
    Weezer
    Queens of the Stone Age
    The White Stripes
    The Strokes
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Rage Against the Machine
    John Mayer

There are many yet to get in.
    If John Mayer gets in the HOF, I will become the crankiest of cranky message board people.

I see very few on this list who are locks for the HOF. Pearl Jam and Radiohead, definitely. QOTSA, Smashing Pumpkins, and RATM might be on the cusp. I have no idea how the HOF will regard Phish or DMB. Too soon to tell on the Black Keys. The rest are a stretch in my opinion. There is not a bigger Strokes fan on the planet than I am -- seriously, I challenge anyone. But they are not HOF material. They and the White Stripes are both unapologetically, brilliantly derivative, with spotty and relatively brief careers both.

I think over the next few years I'm most curious to see what they do about Britpop. Very solid and very influential movement that nonetheless still feels a bit alien to a lot of America -- did not have the widespread impact on the American public (though it did on musicians, I think); did not reach people the way, say, the Who or Radiohead. Oasis was the most famous but by far not the most innovative. Blur (who is eligible next year, my god) was arguably the most innovative, the most influential, and had a really long, solid and varied career. Also a band filled with individually great, underrated musicians. Yet I still feel it would be a big shock to hear they made it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-23-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    John Mayer...oh man. Oh man oh man oh man.

I need a drink.
    Hey, I am not saying I am a fan, but the man can play and has a career going on 15 years with no end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    If John Mayer gets in the HOF, I will become the crankiest of cranky message board people.

I see very few on this list who are locks for the HOF. Pearl Jam and Radiohead, definitely. QOTSA, Smashing Pumpkins, and RATM might be on the cusp. I have no idea how the HOF will regard Phish or DMB. Too soon to tell on the Black Keys. The rest are a stretch in my opinion. There is not a bigger Strokes fan on the planet than I am -- seriously, I challenge anyone. But they are not HOF material. They and the White Stripes are both unapologetically, brilliantly derivative, with spotty and relatively brief careers both.

I think over the next few years I'm most curious to see what they do about Britpop. Very solid and very influential movement that nonetheless still feels a bit alien to a lot of America -- did not have the widespread impact on the American public (though it did on musicians, I think); did not reach people the way, say, the Who or Radiohead. Oasis was the most famous but by far not the most innovative. Blur (who is eligible next year, my god) was arguably the most innovative, the most influential, and had a really long, solid and varied career. Also a band filled with individually great, underrated musicians. Yet I still feel it would be a big shock to hear they made it. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    If Phish doesn't make the HOF it has no credibility.

One of the top selling touring bands of the past 30 years with a huge following. They also boast some of the best musicians on Earth and one of the best guitarists of all time.

Rage is a lock. Have a dozen songs that will never be forgotten and an incredibly innovative guitarist in Morello.

I think Weezer is a lock, as well.

The White Stripes or at the minimum, Jack White is a lock.

I also do not see a way Dave Mathews Band gets left out. They were monstrous in the 90s.

And, I hate to break it to everyone, but Coldplay is getting in some day. They have a top 5 grossing tour of all time.

Daft Punk will be the act that transitions this HOF into a gray area and doesn't look back.

Look out for Jay Z getting in some day, too.

Obviously it is too early to tell on some of these, but they are future HOF members

I love these lists. I love this debate.

I look at a band like Phish and think- I'll bet not one percent of America can name one song they do.

I listen to music ten hours a day or so- I love it. Like I drive people nuts with my love for music.

And I can't name one Phish song. I think of Phish and I think of a 75% less commercial Dave Matthews Band where everyone shows up to their shows and smokes a bunch of pot and the songs meander with extended solos where girls twirl and twirl and twirl on the lawn...

Music is wholly subjective, it is taste and I do not want to make fun of anyone for liking any bands...but who has Phish influenced? Nobody knows who they are. I just always wondered how you can have a hall of fame and you let in someone who the entire audience will not recognize one iota.

I guess if we let KISS in, they should let everyone in- good lord is there a larger catalog of bunk than that band? Gene Simmons makes fun of Nirvana, talking about how they only had two albums...and you want to take him by the throat and tell him that Nirvana did in two albums what KISS couldn't do in 30 albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I love these lists. I love this debate.

I look at a band like Phish and think- I'll bet not one percent of America can name one song they do.

I listen to music ten hours a day or so- I love it. Like I drive people nuts with my love for music.

And I can't name one Phish song
    Run like an Antelope

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Run like an Antelope
    Well now I can, thanks a lot for ruining that for me.

Admittedly it's a fine line.

You don't want to let bands in who are simply popular. You don't want to have a hall of fame filled with obscure bands that nobody has heard of.

I realize Phish has a pretty intense following. When I had my radio show, kids would call in all the time for them, but outside of that, I don't think I've crossed paths with their music in my life.

Turn Off Ads?