Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quitting smoking

Re: Quitting smoking

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I wasn't trying to offend you, you're theory just reminded my of freshman year economics class. It is similar to the "increase in ice cream sales = increased murder rate."
    It's a little more than that, nicotine suppresses appetite.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 12-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's a little more than that, nicotine suppresses appetite.
    I know several people who have stopped smoking and packed on the pounds within a year.

They had to do something with their hands since they werent smoking, so they ate instead.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I know several people who have stopped smoking and packed on the pounds within a year.

They had to do something with their hands since they werent smoking, so they ate instead.
    My Mom became a chain gum chewer. It's always something.

There's also the alcohol element. Admittedly this is a view of cigarettes from the other direction but have you ever been to an AA meeting? 90% of them are smoking like crazy. As part of a course I took in college, I attended one and non smokers needed a gas mask

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My Mom became a chain gum chewer. It's always something.

There's also the alcohol element. Admittedly this is a view of cigarettes from the other direction but have you ever been to an AA meeting? 90% of them are smoking like crazy. As part of a course I took in college, I attended one and non smokers needed a gas mask
    Like how some people will smoke a couple when they go out with friends to a bar and . . . that's it. Take away the alcohol and the party and less people smoke.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 12-31-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quitting smoking

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I had an easy time quitting, personally. One day I didn't have enough cash on me to buy a pack of camel lights and bought some pall malls instead. Smoked one cig, threw the rest of the pack in the trash and haven't smoked one since. That was 12 years ago.
    I did that with Camel shorts, my roommate smoked them, I would go there for the nicotine but HATED them.

28 years ago

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I forgot about this thread.

I made it until sometime in May, and then the wheels came off and I've been smoking again since then, and just as much as I used to. I did order some stuff from the ecig vendor that's supposed to be in tomorrow, so I will be trying to do this again, and hopefully for good this time.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

I was very lucky; when I worked at a restaurant/dive/bar my smoking consisted of having one now and then as a way to inform customers that I was on break. After college, it never has really occurred to me to smoke again. My wife, on the other hand, was a pretty hard core smoker. She smoked Pall Mall and had tried all sorts of ways to cut down, even learning to roll her own on the theory that the time and effort involved would limit the habit. However, the result was that she just learned to roll cigarettes very quickly, to the point that she can still do it one handed while driving (not kidding). When we are back among old friends, she is occasionally asked to roll a few up; they are works of art, resembling actual cigarettes rather than the joint like things most people concoct. Anyway, she did finally quit and after years of trying cold turkey and so forth by attacking it gradually, reducing by one or two cigarettes per day every 2-3 weeks. It took about a year and a half and was still very difficult. Even today she would probably say that after a meal she gets a pit in her stomach and a feeling of needing to smoke. She says it will probably never go away, but at the same time, after being smoke free for about 23 years, she feels like she's got it mastered.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (03-12-2016)

When I was in high school, I smoked cigs with friends one night. The next morning I had a terrible sore throat. The best thing that could have happened to me.

The best quit smoking success stories I have heard is friends that just go cold turkey and don't use anything to help them.
    Last edited by goreds2; 03-09-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?