I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

redsmetz (01-15-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

Here's the link for the Oscars website: http://oscar.go.com/

A couple of thoughts I have. I had not even heard of the film "Whiplash" that was nominated for Best Picture (as well as "Best Supporting Actor"). Also, Rory Kennedy, who was nominated for Best Documentary (Long) is the daughter of Robert Kennedy who was born six months after he was assassinated. And Glenn Campbell was nominated for Best Song from the documentary about his farewell tour and his dealing with Alzheimer's. Not sure I ever recall a documentary having a song nomination.

Steve Carrell was nominated for his role in Foxcatcher. I always felt he was snubbed for his performance in "Little Miss Sunshine." He's up against some good competition this year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I had not even heard of the film "Whiplash" that was nominated for Best Picture (as well as "Best Supporting Actor").
    You should pay closer attention.

Steve Carrell was nominated for his role in Foxcatcher. I always felt he was snubbed for his performance in "Little Miss Sunshine." He's up against some good competition this year.
    I loved his performance in Little Miss Sunshine--and I'll be gravely disappointed if anybody wins any awards for Foxcatcher...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 01-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.

6. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (02-20-2015)

Robert Duvall's nomination for The Judge is a Rolling-Stone-picking-Songs-of-Innocence-as-the-2014-album-of-the-year level baby boomer troll job. Wonder how that happens?

Oscar voters are 94% white, 77% male and have a median age of 62.
    Oh...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Ouch! :-) I was very surprised I hadn't heard anything about it. It looks good, but will probably be one I'll have to watch on Netflix when it streams, since I doubt my wife will be interested in it.

I loved his performance in Little Miss Sunshine--and I'll be gravely disappointed if anybody wins any awards for Foxcatcher...
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting Carrell should win (or will). There's a lot of very good nominations in that category. But it was a big oversight on "Little Miss Sunshine," particularly given that Arkin won it. I thought Steve Carrell's performance was better than his.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-15-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Did Paul Lynde ever come out? Oh, different kind of out...sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

That sounds serious. More serious than Foxcatcher.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

12. Likes:

And can we all just take time to celebrate the fact that Dick Poop finally got a nomination?

https://vine.co/v/ODLuWam60Wz
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 01-15-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-15-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    And can we all just take time to celebrate the fact that Dick Poop finally got a nomination?

https://vine.co/v/ODLuWam60Wz
    I heard her say that live this morning....that was great.

A wetnap is suggested. I would think anyway, not that I would know...

I did bring up Paul Lynde earlier, so...

16. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-15-2015)

There isn't a major category that isn't a disappointment, in my opinion.

Here are the major disappointments for me:

1. Lego Movie. I know, it's hard to get upset of a kids movie, but this is a very good movie, and more importantly, it's has amazing, ground breaking animation. I would consider nominating it for best picture. I can't understand how it didn't even get nominated for best animated movie.
    2. Gone Girl. Easily one of the best movies of the year. Much better than American Sniper, but even if you don't think so, there was room for it since they can nominate as many as 10 films for best picture.
    3. Life Itself. The Oscars hate Steve James, of Hoop Dreams fame. This time they had a chance to honor one of their royalty, Roger Ebert, but they would rather thumb their nose at James. What a disgrace.
    4. The people involved in Selma. The Oscars proved they aren't racist by voting for 12 Years A Slave last year, so I guess they don't have to vote for non-whites for another 10 years.
    5. FORCE MAJEURE. I am not a fan of foreign films (I hate subtitles, and dubbing even more) but this was a great movie, one of the most thought provocative I had seen in years.
    6. Jake Gyllenhaal. Good movie. Outstanding performance.

I am glad Bennett Miller was nominated, he's one of my favorite directors. And I am glad Jennifer Aniston didn't get nominated. But overall, one of the most disappointing Oscar nominations in awhile.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Best Picture

I've seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash.

I could go without seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel ever again. Not that it was bad. It just wasn't overly good either.

The Imitation Game, I saw over the weekend. Excellent acting, good story, but not something I'm thinking is something I want or need to see again.

The Theory of Everything, much like TGBH, it wasn't overly good. Solid movie that I would tell people to watch if they asked, but not something I see and tell people to go watch.

Whiplash was my favorite of the bunch. Miles Teller and JK Simmons did some great acting. The story was fantastic. Loved it.

Best Actor (lead)

I haven't seen them all, just three of them. Carell did a good job, but it didn't jump out as best performance material. Eddie Redmayne.... no. Not that it was bad, but just no. Cumberbatch was the best of the three. I'm hoping to see Birdman this weekend, so I may update this for Keaton if I get out.

Best Actress (lead)
    I only saw one of the movies, but Felicity Jones did a pretty good job. But, it didn't jump out to me as Oscar worthy either.

Best Actor (supporting)

I saw performances by Duvall, Ruffalo and Simmons. Simmons gets the nod for me. Duvall was better than Ruffalo, but all three were very good.

Best Actress (supporting)
    I only saw Knightley from this group. She had a strong performance. And she's real nice to look at. Still, wasn't Oscar worthy when I watched it, or what I feel, in my mind, is Oscar worthy.

Documentary (feature)

I only saw one, Finding Vivian Maier. I loved it, but will admit that I had a bias towards it because of the subject matter and being incredibly interested in it for years before it actually came out. I really loved it, but again, I know I'm extremely biased on it as well.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-15-2015),757690 (01-15-2015)

I could go without seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel ever again. Not that it was bad. It just wasn't overly good either.
    I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, The Royal Tannebaums is one if my all time favorite films, and I could barely get through The Grand Budapest Hotel. I also haven't talked to anyone who liked it. I just don't understand the love for it.

Kurt Vonnegut once said, "you want to use a semicolon when you want to let people know you we went to college." I think you can say that you want to put The Grand Budapest Hotel on your best films of 2015 list when you want people to know you went to film school, or wished you went to film school.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, The Royal Tannebaums is one if my all time favorite films, and I could barely get through The Grand Budapest Hotel. I also haven't talked to anyone who liked it. I just don't understand the love for it.

Kurt Vonnegut once said, "you want to use a semicolon when you want to let people know you we went to college." I think you can say that you want to put The Grand Budapest Hotel on your best films of 2015 list when you want people to know you went to film school, or wished you went to film school.
    I liked Grand Budapest Hotel. I thought it was more accessible than Anderson's more recent efforts (Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom) while doing all of the Wes Anderson-y things that I enjoy... It wasn't Royal Tenenbaums good, but I really enjoyed it.

23. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-15-2015)

Having become a recluse, I haven't seen anything nominated for a major award (well, I saw the Lego movie, which got a song nomination), but I believe J.K. Simmons should be given an Oscar just because.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

25. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    That sounds serious. More serious than Foxcatcher.
    Now I'm embarrassed...

Turn Off Ads?