Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations are out

Re: Oscar Nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know, I might be crazy, but I just don't see awards being something that people are truly striving/working for. Sure, you want to be recognized for your work, but I don't think it's why they are working.
    Many of course, strive to be the best. And the gold statue is one industry accepted representation of that.

I agree with you though. Big piles of cash are another industry accepted representation there too.

Leo wants a statue, no matter what he says, I'm fairly certain of that.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't know, I might be crazy, but I just don't see awards being something that people are truly striving/working for. Sure, you want to be recognized for your work, but I don't think it's why they are working.
    One leads to the other. Getting Oscar winner or Emmy winning (or even nominated) behind your name, demands a much higher pile of cash. That is why they care about the awards.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    One leads to the other. Getting Oscar winner or Emmy winning (or even nominated) behind your name, demands a much higher pile of cash. That is why they care about the awards.
    Man, we're cynical here.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Man, we're cynical here.
    I guess it's cynical, but there is certainly a high level of truth to it.

Why would quality suffer?
    We already are seeing why/how quality suffers at the cinema because of money.

Movie studios have figured out the formula to making money is by making a lot of remakes or adaptations of sci-fi/fantasy stories geared towards the teenage audience. As a result most of the "blockbuster" studio money goes towards stuff like The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Transformers 1 - infinity, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. Comic book movies draw the largest audience because they can connect with the older demographic as well as the teenage. If they are capable of drawing a big enough crowd from the teenage demographic they will just keep pumping out sequels because the next generation will likely enjoy it just as much. We are officially in the age of regurgitated blockbusters. All the evidence you need to show this is supplied by Disney/Marvel below this post. If you want an original story you basically need to go the indie route, other than the few movies that are being made for the specific reason of winning awards (Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Precious, etc).

8. Likes:

757690 (01-23-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Which category does The Wedding Ringer fit into? Or The Gambler? Or Blackhat? Or Mortdecai? Or The Interview? Or Whiplash? Or Into the Woods? Or Birdman? Or The Boy Next Door? Or Big Eyes?

Which category does The Wedding Ringer fit into? Or The Gambler? Or Blackhat? Or Mortdecai? Or The Interview? Or Whiplash? Or Into the Woods? Or Birdman? Or The Boy Next Door? Or Big Eyes?
    The Wedding Ringer fits nicely into the garbage, I'm sure. Haven't seen them but I'm gonna guess The Gambler and Blackhat could probably also be squeezed in there.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-26-2015),westofyou (01-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    The Wedding Ringer fits nicely into the garbage, I'm sure. Haven't seen them but I'm gonna guess The Gambler and Blackhat could probably also be squeezed in there.
    And yet people are going to LOVE all three movies. I saw The Gambler. It was worth my time and $6. I'm going to be spending another $6 on Tuesday to see The Wedding Ringer too. Not everything needs to be Good Will Hunting to be enjoyable. I laughed by butt off at Dumb and Dumber 2. I loved Interstellar. Whiplash was the best movie I've seen in a while. I can't get enough of those Lifetime/Hallmark Channel sappy movies.

Movies are made for all kinds of reasons. Some are made for cheap laughs. I like those. Some are made to make you feel good at the end because the guy/girl got the girl/guy. I love those. Some are made to get you to think, or question things. Some of those are outstanding. Some are terrible. Some are made to scare you. Some are made to tell you a story from the past. Lots of movies get made for lots of reasons and they all have their audience.

The Wedding Ringer is the sequel to Hitch, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Wedding Ringer is the sequel to Hitch, right?
    I think you mean re-make, with a less fat white guy and a shorter black guy.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-23-2015)

I can't get enough of those Lifetime/Hallmark Channel sappy movies.
    Careful Doug. I'm sure there are some on here looking for a new signature.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Careful Doug. I'm sure there are some on here looking for a new signature.
    I've got no shame in that.

I don't think that everyone who makes movies is out to make money, but I do think that the overwhelming majority of films that get distribute at a level of widespread public consumption (+ award recognition) are filtered through a vast money-driven machine. That's not to say that some are not good, but quality is not the primary consideration.

That's not a knock, either. The amount of money it costs to make and market these films is not something that people or studios can afford to take lightly. And many people involved *have* been toiling away at movies and other artistic projects for years that you will never, ever have a chance to see. It's financially and emotionally draining and I don't begrudge people with true artistic inclinations who get exhausted and just want some stability. That is not a majority of hollywood, though. Most of the people who head straight for Hollywood really do just want money and fame.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Never mind, let's cancel this whole charade and give all the awards to Whiplash.
    I have to go back to this and agree. I've had the "pleasure" of knowing quite a few men like Fletcher in my life and have probably been a bit of a "bad guy" myself, but JK Simmons is the first actor that made me feel that vile taste in my mouth like I've experienced around those kind of people.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

20. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-26-2015)

Money keeps the artsy-fartsy types from wallowing in their own pretentiousness. Moderation in all things, I say.

Turn Off Ads?