Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2015 Bengals Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As a Bengals fan, I find it to be a waste of time and resources having Hawk around the team.
    Hopefully Burfict will be back and we will not need Hawk

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hopefully Burfict will be back and we will not need Hawk
    Hope is all the Bengals ever give their fans, and thinly vailed hope, at that. It's no way to run a franchise for it's fans.

Burfict has as much chance of being "effective" for eight games next season as Kobe Bryant has of playing at an All-Star level next season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Fairly to the Rams on a one-year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Fairly to the Rams on a one-year deal.
    Really? I'm stunned the 1 year deal was the best he could get.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Really? I'm stunned the 1 year deal was the best he could get.
    Especially considering this...

New Rams DT Nick Fairley says he's down to 280 pounds, and will actually work to put weight on before the season. Fairley's weight was a constant issue during his four years in Detroit, but he had it mostly under control for 2014. Fairley's Combine weigh in was 291 pounds. That's probably the area the Rams will want him in for 2015.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

It's well-documented that he has difficulty being motivated. But, even an un-motivated Fairley is ten times better than a motivated Peko.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Especially considering this...

New Rams DT Nick Fairley says he's down to 280 pounds, and will actually work to put weight on before the season. Fairley's weight was a constant issue during his four years in Detroit, but he had it mostly under control for 2014. Fairley's Combine weigh in was 291 pounds. That's probably the area the Rams will want him in for 2015.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

It's well-documented that he has difficulty being motivated. But, even an un-motivated Fairley is ten times better than a motivated Peko.
    The surprising thing to me is that he seems to be taking the approach of, sign a 1 year deal, play well, get big money contract next year. But even if he plays well, I can't imagine the questions about his motivation, weight, et al will go away.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The surprising thing to me is that he seems to be taking the approach of, sign a 1 year deal, play well, get big money contract next year. But even if he plays well, I can't imagine the questions about his motivation, weight, et al will go away.
    Agree. It was a very, very stong season for available DT's in Free Agency and the draft. Bad year to go looking for guaranteed money as a chronically unmotivated player. The Washington Redskins/Albert Haynesworth contract probably scares a lot of people away (not the fact that unmotivated players have a hard time removing that moniker....look at Jermaine Gresham, for example...he had a great season last year, and is getting no looks in a market void of quality Tight Ends, as talks with Oakland just ended without a contract).

Schefter source says Bengals have agreed to terms with Michael johnson

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-15-2015),Dom Heffner (03-15-2015),RiverRat13 (03-15-2015),Stray (03-15-2015)

Nice, thought for sure he was headed to Zimmer.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Hardly any downside to the Hawk signing. Not sure why some people were against it.

Also, I find it amusing how the Bengals get Johnson back, and still get to keep the comp pick they got for him leaving the year before. Good stuff.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (03-16-2015)

Once MJ got released by the Bucs, the Bengals basically put on hold negotiations with Fairley. Fairley went to the RAMS for a visit today. Paul Dehner and Geoff Hobson both wrote that the Bengals have spent all of their money (gee...never heard this "lie" before, because God forbid, they actually cut someone who is ineffective like Peko and free up $3.5M, or restructure a contract to free up more monies), and only have enough money to sign one more "Starter". So, if they sign a DE, such as MJ, then they won't try to sign Fairley. That $5M they are spending on Maualuga for 2015 looks really good right now.

However, if you're MJ, it's pretty much a no-brainer that you go and play for the better Coach in Mike Zimmer, whom you had your most success with. MJ would take Brian Robison's place in Minnesota.
    A no brainer? Not everyone views the Bengals as negatively as this shows. In fact I think you have to give the Bengals credit on this one. They played it exactly right. They let MJ leave last yr to a team that was willing to overpay for him. Then after the 2014 season they judged that he'd be a salary cap casualty and then they schemed in to get him back. Just for fun, let's see who they get with his comp pick and follow him.

15. Likes:

bucksfan2 (03-16-2015),Dom Heffner (03-16-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

A no brainer? Not everyone views the Bengals as negatively as this shows. In fact I think you have to give the Bengals credit on this one. They played it exactly right. They let MJ leave last yr to a team that was willing to overpay for him. Then after the 2014 season they judged that he'd be a salary cap casualty and then they schemed in to get him back. Just for fun, let's see who they get with his comp pick and follow him.
    Tough to argue with this- they ended up smelling like a rose.

Michael Johnson was never a star and never should have been paid like a top tier DE. What the Bengals had done was built a deep, mostly all above average DLine rotation that allowed guys like Johnson and Dunlap to pin their ears back and attack. It also helped when Adkins was playing like one of the top 5 defensive players in football. Hopefully with Johnson back in fold they will get back to an aggressive yet productive DLine.

18. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-16-2015),Kingspoint (03-16-2015)

You go where the money is and the Bengals would have offered him more. It's also a lot less work involved playing for Marvin Lewis than playing for Mike Zimmer.

This off-season is going extremely well for the Bengals, especially compared to what the Steelers and Ravens have done. The Ravens have gotten way worse and the Steelers haven't added any impact players either. As a Bengals fan, I'm not used to this.

Turn Off Ads?