Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2015 Bengals Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You go where the money is and the Bengals would have offered him more. It's also a lot less work involved playing for Marvin Lewis than playing for Mike Zimmer.
    I haven't seen any numbers. What kind of money did he get?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I haven't seen any numbers. What kind of money did he get?
    No exact numbers, yet.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...chael-johnson/

Rotoworld is reporting this: Bengals signed RE Michael Johnson, formerly of the Bucs, to a four-year, $24 million contract.

...but, there is no source for the amount. Should have it in a day or two.

If you look at what Boling just signed, it's probably very similar, but for a year less:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat.../clint-boling/
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

As far as "inexpensive" Free Agent signings that would make the team better, there's four players I would like to see any of them added to the roster...

Some views by ProFootballFocus on these players...

Steven Jackson, Running Back

Jackson’s problem is that he is an aging player at a position where teams are reluctant to spend much money these days. Despite his advancing years, though, Jackson is still a solid contributor, and one who is a effective all-around player who can offer prospective teams something as a pass blocker too. He had the 13th-highest rushing grade of all running backs last season, and it’s hard to see him not signing somewhere and helping a team out. Jackson was also 7th in Yards-after-contact behind, arguably, the league's worst Offensive Line in Atlanta. Behind Cincinnati's Top-10 Offensive Line (at run-blocking), Jackson would earn 4.5 yards per carry. Jeremy Hill is a 250+ carry back. Gio Bernard does not belong in the backfield except for a handful or less touches per game. He needs to get his touches on catches, pitches, and other methods. If Hill gets hurt, Jackson would start and give the team the same "type" of production that Hill offers, but without the breakaway speed. Gio can then maintain his normal carries. Burkhead is not as good as Jackson right now, and Jackson has always been one of the league's best pass-blockers. He's also got sure-hands on receptions. He doesn't get penalties while being a great teammate. He'd cost very little and would be great insurance if Hill misses any games.

Tommy Kelly, Defensive Interior

Kelly isn’t going to give you a standout defensive lineman who can be a constant menace to opposing offensive lines, and his play in 2014 was up and down, but he still has something to offer for the right team. Our 17th-highest-graded 3-4 defensive end in 2014, he produced 41 total pressures from 424 pass rushing snaps andtied for the seventh best Pass Rushing Productivity Rating (PRP) at the position. He came back from a torn ACL in 2013 and didn't miss a game in 2014. At 6'-6", 310, he'd play a rotational role as a RDE, while being able to be plugged in as an occasional "2" on passing downs. He'd cost very little.

Rolando McClain, Linebacker

McClain’s off field struggles have been well-documented throughout the year, and perhaps that’s scaring some teams off, but on the field it’s hard to argue that he’d help out a team needing a linebacker who is stout against the run. A well-rounded 2014, grading positively against the run, in coverage and as a pass rusher, will draw someone to take a chance on him again in 2015. McClain finished 8th among 60 qualified Inside Linebackers last season. He ended the season with a couple of concussion-related injuries and faces a 4-game "fine", not "suspension" per the substance abuse policy. These will scare off most teams making him extremely cheap on a 1-year, incentive-laden contract. Again, he instantly becomes the Bengals' best Linebacker (he played well enough last season to be 20+ teams' best Linebacker.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I'd happily take Burkhead/Peerman over Jackson. Speaking of Burkhead, do they plan on converting him to a WR, or...?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I'd happily take Burkhead/Peerman over Jackson. Speaking of Burkhead, do they plan on converting him to a WR, or...?
    Steven Jackson doesn't make sense. If you assume the Bengals go into the season with Hill and Gio as their RB1 and RB2, the other RB's need to play special teams. Personally I don't think Peerman should ever see the field as a RB, his value is in ST. I hope that Burkhead replaces Peerman on the roster and they go with a late round flyer at RB. Burkhead adds some flexibility with his pass catching skills and can play ST.

7. Likes:

Trajinous (03-17-2015)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Steven Jackson doesn't make sense. If you assume the Bengals go into the season with Hill and Gio as their RB1 and RB2, the other RB's need to play special teams. Personally I don't think Peerman should ever see the field as a RB, his value is in ST. I hope that Burkhead replaces Peerman on the roster and they go with a late round flyer at RB. Burkhead adds some flexibility with his pass catching skills and can play ST.
    Hey, he said Jackson, not me.

I don't think that's fair to Peerman at all. He simply hasn't gotten enough work. People didn't think anything of Herron, Ohio State product or not, but he had a pretty good season last year, and he completely ran over us in the playoffs.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

You go where the money is and the Bengals would have offered him more. It's also a lot less work involved playing for Marvin Lewis than playing for Mike Zimmer.
    Johnson resigned with the Bengals because all his friends play here, never underestimate the power of your work family.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Thought someone would post this by now, but Leah Still received from the doctors the best news the Still family could get.

https://twitter.com/Dev_Still71

Attachment 8794
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-17-2015 at 11:01 PM.

11. Likes:

bucksfan2 (03-18-2015),Redsfaithful (03-18-2015),sonny (03-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Hey, he said Jackson, not me.

I don't think that's fair to Peerman at all. He simply hasn't gotten enough work. People didn't think anything of Herron, Ohio State product or not, but he had a pretty good season last year, and he completely ran over us in the playoffs.
    Peerman is a terrible RB in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed, burst, or cutting ability to run in the Bengals offense. Whenever the Bengals are forced to use him as their feature RB you know they are in trouble. I think they made a big mistake with Boom in not giving him more of a shot, I think he is better all around than Peerman, younger, and is a guy who can play at the feature back and not be terrible. One of my biggest gripes with the Bengals in player development is their inability to take late round or UDFA RB's and turn them in to contributing players. I am not complaining at all about their current two headed monster, other teams have found a way to create value late in the draft, the Bengals have not.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Peerman is a terrible RB in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed, burst, or cutting ability to run in the Bengals offense. Whenever the Bengals are forced to use him as their feature RB you know they are in trouble. I think they made a big mistake with Boom in not giving him more of a shot, I think he is better all around than Peerman, younger, and is a guy who can play at the feature back and not be terrible. One of my biggest gripes with the Bengals in player development is their inability to take late round or UDFA RB's and turn them in to contributing players. I am not complaining at all about their current two headed monster, other teams have found a way to create value late in the draft, the Bengals have not.
    On the flip side they've done such a good job of finding defensive contributors on the street as either late draft picks, undrafted free agents or veteran cuts, that they've been able to use the high draft picks for offensive skill position players more often. That probably plays as large of a role in not developing many UFA running backs or WR. They simply haven't had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that the Houston Texans and Cincinnati Bengals have "shown a lot of interest" in Southern Illinois RB Malcolm Agnew.

Pauline called Agnew "the big winner" of the school's pro day. Measuring 5-foot-9 1/8, 203 pounds, Agnew clocked 40 times in the low 4.5-second range, posted a spectacular shuttle of 3.89 seconds, and added a superb 6.62 second 3-cone drill. At the Northwestern pro day, he registered his jump marks of 36 1/2 inches (vertical) and 10-10 (broad). "In drills, Agnew looked solid, especially catching passes, where he made several finger-tip receptions," Pauline wrote.

Source: Walter Football

While projected in the 2nd Round right now, there's really no difference between the 21st best player and the 51st best player, so anyone projected in the 2nd Round could easily go to the Bengals at #21, so Eric Kendricks has a really good chance of becoming a Bengal. The player responsible for recruiting him to UCLA is currently the Bengals' West Coast Scout.

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

UCLA LB Eric Kendricks models his game after 49ers' LB Patrick Willis.

"I watched a lot of Patrick Willis film in college," he said. "My sophomore year when I took on the middle linebacker position and I needed help in certain areas, I would kind of throw his film on and watch a (few) cut-ups and see how he pursued the ball. I think it's awesome how he plays the game. I try to emulate him to a certain extent, but also use my own style." NFL Media believes he'd be a fine replacement for the retired Willis. "Kendricks' best fit might be as a WILL linebacker in a 4-3, but he could be an ILB in a 3-4, though he likely would need to add weight. He has good football instincts, and runs well sideline to sideline," College Football 24/7 writer Mike Huguenin wrote. Kendricks (6-foot 1/8, 235) posted a 4.61 40-yard dash, 38-inch vertical and 10-feet-4 broad jump at the combine.

Source: NFL.com

From Rotoworld...

Free agent S Taylor Mays will visit the Vikings on Thursday. Mays played three years under former DC Mike Zimmer with the Bengals and would give Minnesota a sub-package safety/linebacker opposite Harrison Smith. He should be available for a minimum salary after being limited to 61 defensive snaps last season. Mays has also been linked to the Redskins.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

From Rotoworld...

Free agent S Taylor Mays will visit the Vikings on Thursday. Mays played three years under former DC Mike Zimmer with the Bengals and would give Minnesota a sub-package safety/linebacker opposite Harrison Smith. He should be available for a minimum salary after being limited to 61 defensive snaps last season. Mays has also been linked to the Redskins.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
    So I take it that the Bengals don't want him back even at the minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So I take it that the Bengals don't want him back even at the minimum?
    Actually, the Bengals and the Redskins were the other two teams that showed interest in him this week.

Turn Off Ads?