Turn Off Ads?
Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677
Results 1,141 to 1,154 of 1154

Thread: Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

Re: Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Cardale may have went into the season as a Heisman candidate after his late season performances last year; but IMO he simply got exposed this year. Talented kid, but doesn't have a good head on his shoulders.

This team really got hurt offensively when Herman left.

I want to see what happens with the defense now that Ash s gone.
    It was a cluster of a season at the QB position. I thought Cardale played very well against Va Tech. I also think the loss of Noah Brown (I think) really hurt the team on offense that left them short at the WR position. All season long they tried to stick a square peg in a round hole with the personal as well as play calling. I think for too long OSU tried too long to make sure Braxton got enough touches instead of making sure he grew as a WR. Had Braxton grown as a WR and not the continual effort to get him the ball in the wildcat and on reverses, this team could have been better off.

The team never played to Cardale's strengths. Even with Barrett at QB they had, what, two good offensive performances? The team never clicked on offense, the play calling, as documented, was stale and predictable. I have watched OSU's run through Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon over and over again. What I saw with Cardale was not only the read option, him running the ball, but his ability to make plays. His ability to scramble and make great throws. He made some plays and throws last season that neither he or JT made this season. Maybe it was playing with house money, maybe it was playing with low expectations, or maybe it was him on a roll. Whatever it was, they never were able to harness it this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Greg Schiano is going to replace Chris Ash as the Co DC. I like it.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (12-11-2015),RiverRat13 (12-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Greg Schiano is going to replace Chris Ash as the Co DC. I like it.
    That seems like a huge get. He should help recruiting in NJ and Florida, too.

Hard not to like the hire. Doesn't have a ton of credentials as a defensive coordinator (because he moved pretty quickly from DB coach to head coach), but what experience he does have running a D is impressive, per Wikipedia:
    Schiano served as defensive coordinator for the University of Miami from 1999 to 2000. In 1999, UM finished the year ranked 12th in the NCAA's Division I-A in points allowed per game (17.2), and in 2000 moved up to 5th (15.5 points allowed per game). His brief 18-month stint at Miami and his roots in New Jersey made him a candidate for his next position as head coach at Rutgers University.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It was a cluster of a season at the QB position. I thought Cardale played very well against Va Tech. I also think the loss of Noah Brown (I think) really hurt the team on offense that left them short at the WR position. All season long they tried to stick a square peg in a round hole with the personal as well as play calling. I think for too long OSU tried too long to make sure Braxton got enough touches instead of making sure he grew as a WR. Had Braxton grown as a WR and not the continual effort to get him the ball in the wildcat and on reverses, this team could have been better off.

The team never played to Cardale's strengths. Even with Barrett at QB they had, what, two good offensive performances? The team never clicked on offense, the play calling, as documented, was stale and predictable. I have watched OSU's run through Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon over and over again. What I saw with Cardale was not only the read option, him running the ball, but his ability to make plays. His ability to scramble and make great throws. He made some plays and throws last season that neither he or JT made this season. Maybe it was playing with house money, maybe it was playing with low expectations, or maybe it was him on a roll. Whatever it was, they never were able to harness it this season.
    I think you're spot on here. Braxton was an "enigma" to me this season. Never really caught on, fit into the offensive scheme, like I thought he would.

I might be wrong as rain here, but I'm gong to throw it out anyway ...... I thought this team, offensively, wasn't very balanced in their attack. Sure, you have one of the best RBs in Eliot, as well as two solid option (running) QBs, so running the ball was their forte. But they seemed, IMO, to over-emphasize this, become very predicable, because they ignored that down field threat when it came to their passing game... Thomas, Marshal, and yes, even Miller.

MSU exploited that, stacked/controlled the line of scrimmage, stop the run, and dared OSU to try and open it up ... and OSU (play calling) played right into their hands IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I think you're spot on here. Braxton was an "enigma" to me this season. Never really caught on, fit into the offensive scheme, like I thought he would.

I might be wrong as rain here, but I'm gong to throw it out anyway ...... I thought this team, offensively, wasn't very balanced in their attack. Sure, you have one of the best RBs in Eliot, as well as two solid option (running) QBs, so running the ball was their forte. But they seemed, IMO, to over-emphasize this, become very predicable, because they ignored that down field threat when it came to their passing game... Thomas, Marshal, and yes, even Miller.

MSU exploited that, stacked/controlled the line of scrimmage, stop the run, and dared OSU to try and open it up ... and OSU (play calling) played right into their hands IMO.
    Very well said.

There was a ton of hoopla with Braxton at WR this season. ESPN did a segment on his transition, having Joey Galloway give him tips and what not. I wonder if the first game was fools gold with Braxton, who put on one heck of a show. I understand the idea of getting Braxton the ball in the wildcat, but the team needed him more in the slot or at WR than doing what Marshall was capable of doing.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wonder when Urban and company look back if they are disappointed in Braxton's usage. IMO if Braxton lines up at WR starting with Hawaii and through the entire season, the decimated WR corps may just have looked impressive in November.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There was a ton of hoopla with Braxton at WR this season. ESPN did a segment on his transition, having Joey Galloway give him tips and what not. I wonder if the first game was fools gold with Braxton, who put on one heck of a show. I understand the idea of getting Braxton the ball in the wildcat, but the team needed him more in the slot or at WR than doing what Marshall was capable of doing.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wonder when Urban and company look back if they are disappointed in Braxton's usage. IMO if Braxton lines up at WR starting with Hawaii and through the entire season, the decimated WR corps may just have looked impressive in November.
    One quick question as an "outsider". Why not put him back at QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Cause that's the last thing OSU needs. They've got plenty of QBs

With the way they ran the offense it probably makes the most sense since he is the biggest running threat. Still not sure if he can actually pass it or not.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not an OSU fan either, but to me it seemed like a no-brainer at the time:

1. Miller's injury history involving multiple problems and surgeries on his throwing shoulder.

2. The success Barrett had last year, followed up with the success Jones had after Barrett got hurt. It didn't seem critical that Miller return to QB, especially given that his ability to throw would still be in question.

3. Given that uncertainty, but knowing how effective he was with the ball in his hands, as a coach you want him on the field somewhere.

4. Even when healthy, Miller's game as a quarterback didn't project well to the NFL. The wide receiver position arguably offered a better chance at a meaningful pro career.

All water under the bridge now, of course.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I don't think he could throw well enough to be effective.

OSU tried to get him wildcat snaps each and every game, he never once threw the ball.

Many fans were wondering if they were saving it for a time when they needed to surprise someone, MSU would have been as good of time as any, but they didn't.

Appreciate the feedback fellas.

Just noticed that we are wayyyy over 1000 posts. Go ahead an start another.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?