Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

2015 OSU Recruiting class wrap-up

Once again a real nice class put together by Meyer and crew. Weber, Prince, Hill, and Gibson all signing was a nice suprise for me ... I didn't anticipate getting all 4 of them.

This group has a number of guys that can press for immediate playing time. There are a number of interesting Redshirts and guys that sat out due to injury from the 2014 class that will be available this year. 2015 should be a year in which OSU builds a significant amount of depth for a number of the units.

I will also be interested to see how roster management is handled this year. It sounds benign at this point, but I will want to see how it all goes down. I am not in favor of pushing kids out, however, I have no issue in laying the cards on the table and letting kids know where they stand with anticipated playing time, etc. as long as the kids is not pressured to leave, transfer, etc.

GL

2014 OSU Thread
    2013 Recruiting Class

2014 Class

• Sean Nuernberger was 89-89 on extra points and was 13-20 on field goal attempts with a season long 49-yard field goal.
    • Raekwon McMillan. 30 tackles (30), 6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, and an interception (returned it 24 yards for a TD).
    • Curtis Samuel scored ran for 383 yds and 6 TDs 383 yards. He had 11 receptions and returned 20 kickoffs.
    • Noah Brown played in 11 games, almost completely in a blocking role. He had 1 catch, and 1 carry. (He may get snaps at TE next year)
    • Erick Smith had 13 tackles (mostly special teams) and an interception
    • Jalyn Holmes had 11 tackles/one tackle for loss
    • Damon Webb had 3tackles and a forced fumble
    • Dante Booker seven tackles on the season.
    • Jamarco Jones got some Playing Time on the OL
    • Marcelys Jones also got some Playing Time on the OL

Injured:

• Kyle Berger: torn ACL & broken kneecap
    • Marshon Lattimore: torn ACL
    • Johnnie Dixon: tendonitis-related issues in both of his knees
    • Darius Slade: broken toe
    • Brady Taylor: torn labrum
    • Parris Campbell, shoulder surgery

Redshirts

• Sam Hubbard
    • Demetrius Knox
    • Stephen Collier
    • Malik Hooker
    • Terry McLaurin
    • Kyle Trout
    Last edited by gonelong; 02-05-2015 at 12:55 PM.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-05-2015),BillDoran (02-05-2015),traderumor (02-06-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Football 2015 [Defending National Champions]

Stan Drayton is leaving to go be the RB coach for the Chicago Bears. That is great, except he was pretty instrumental in the recruitment of Weber who was the last commitment in this class. He basically announced the day after signing day that he was leaving, but didn't give Weber any kind of indication that might be happening. The player and his HS coach are fairly rightfully pissed about this. Now I suppose it is possible that Drayton really didn't know, but I find it unlikely that he would have been interviewed out of the blue on Thursday and hired same day.

I know there is an ugly side to the recruitment game, but I really don't like how this story is coming out.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-08-2015)

Commit to the school, and the head coach. Assistant coaches worth anything should always be looking to move on.Ed Warriner will be the hottest assistant coach in the country next year. Chris Ashe, Tim Beck, and Luke Fickell could all be head coaches somewhere next year. Quality coaches move on, and you can bet that there are guys begging Urban Meyer to get that RB coaching gig.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Commit to the school, and the head coach. Assistant coaches worth anything should always be looking to move on.Ed Warriner will be the hottest assistant coach in the country next year. Chris Ashe, Tim Beck, and Luke Fickell could all be head coaches somewhere next year. Quality coaches move on, and you can bet that there are guys begging Urban Meyer to get that RB coaching gig.
    I don't blame Drayton for taking the job and of course it's part of the deal. The timing is bad and I'm sure wasn't disclosed to the kid what might be happening. He also comes from a big school that I'm sure Meyer will want to go back to in the future and stuff like this doesn't help.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-08-2015)

If the entire state of Michigan wasn't in an uproar over losing Mike Weber, no one would be talking about this. Seriously most of the outrage is coming from scorned Michigan fans, and if the rumors are true, the HS head coach was trying to push him to scUM just as hard as Harbaugh. Fake outrage everywhere.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

10. Likes:

traderumor (02-07-2015)

It's not fake outrage, Weber tweeted something along the lines of "I ain't gonna like, I feel hurt."

I'm a big Osu fan, but that was pretty shady by the Osu coaching staff.

Yes, and the entire Michigan media apparatus is stirring the pot. Fake outrage. I have been watching his Twitter account he has been adding Ohio State follows, and Ohio State followers, since that tweet. This is a tempest in a teapot.

I'm thinking I would need to know some important facts before I took sides. When did the coach know? "Hey, recruit, I just want you to know that I am in the running for an NFL gig, but I haven't heard back yet." That seems out of order to me. The assumption is that the info. was suppressed, even though no one outside of the coach and his boss knows that at this point. It is a pretty quick jump to "I feel lied to." Well, great, I feel a sore throat coming on. I'm sure its throat cancer. Another possibility is that the kid is having buyer's remorse on his decision and this is a convenient excuse. Or, Ohio State could have conveniently not disclosed something they knew. Drama, drama, drama. Hard to believe dealing with kids, ya know?
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sounds like Notre Dames RB coach Tony Alford has been hired to replace him. From reports sounds like a great hire both from recruiting and coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sounds like Notre Dames RB coach Tony Alford has been hired to replace him. From reports sounds like a great hire both from recruiting and coaching.
    That was another thing I would add to my post. If the kid signed on with Ohio State for the right reasons, he would trust them to make a great hire for his position coach that might be better for him than the guy he had. I'm still not on Twitter. I have a tendency to shoot from the hip at times. A lot of people should probably make similar decisions.

If the entire state of Michigan wasn't in an uproar over losing Mike Weber, no one would be talking about this. Seriously most of the outrage is coming from scorned Michigan fans, and if the rumors are true, the HS head coach was trying to push him to scUM just as hard as Harbaugh. Fake outrage everywhere.
    It's Urban Meyer. He's one of the scummiest recruiters out there so I'm tending to believe what Meatchicken fans are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    It's Urban Meyer. He's one of the scummiest recruiters out there so I'm tending to believe what Meatchicken fans are saying.
    Is there a ranking service for recruiting scumminess? It is a pretty sordid business for any major program, so how does one verify your claim that Meyer is, what, top 5 on the recruiting scum scale?

18. Likes:

jimbo (02-09-2015)

I don't care, what you think. They are wrong, just like Ohio State fans were wrong a decade ago with Fred Davis to USC.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Is there a ranking service for recruiting scumminess? It is a pretty sordid business for any major program, so how does one verify your claim that Meyer is, what, top 5 on the recruiting scum scale?
    Urban's a great coach. One of the best to ever lace 'em up. And you're right, recruiting is very sordid. But it doesn't take away from the fact that Urban is scum with the type of players he recruited to Gainesville, the way he left Gainesville, and now the way he's continuing to do the same things he's always done. Don't worry, there will be more trouble in Columbus in the years to come and he'll have another fake heart attack before he leaves for an NFL job and you guys will root him and Mo Clarett on as long as they win you national championships.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care, what you think. They are wrong, just like Ohio State fans were wrong a decade ago with Fred Davis to USC.
    Wow. I forgot about the Fred Davis debacle.

Urban's a great coach. One of the best to ever lace 'em up. And you're right, recruiting is very sordid. But it doesn't take away from the fact that Urban is scum with the type of players he recruited to Gainesville, the way he left Gainesville, and now the way he's continuing to do the same things he's always done. Don't worry, there will be more trouble in Columbus in the years to come and he'll have another fake heart attack before he leaves for an NFL job and you guys will root him and Mo Clarett on as long as they win you national championships.
    This was very enlightening. I am convinced.

22. Likes:

bucksfan2 (02-10-2015),jimbo (02-10-2015)

Turn Off Ads?