Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul!

Re: Better Call Saul!

Really liked the first two episodes. Looking forward to seeing the third one soon.

Jimmy is such an interestingly different character than Walt White. He's a bit softer and less able to deceive when he tries to manipulate others. Odenkirk is brilliant at showing the different levels of discomfort on his face as things play out. With Cranston, it was all about the clenched jaw and the squinty eyes and with Odenkirk we get the pained smirks and nervous hand gestures. Jimmy seems far less likely to lash out than Walt -- I half expect him to have a nervous breakdown instead. He's like a quivering bowl of jello compared with Cranston's coiled spring.

This is really going to be fun to watch. Gilligan is clearly a master of his craft.
    Last edited by RedEye; 02-18-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just watched the first episode on British Netflix (Hola is great). Loved the very end. I'm assuming that most will be explained eventually, but did I miss something regarding the opening scene? Anyway, I've followed Odenkirk since The Ben Stiller Show, and I'm looking forward to this.

btw, I also like The Birthday Boys, which I never seem to hear anyone talk about.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

There is a Twitter feud going on between two AAA baseball teams over this show. The Omaha Storm Chasers and the Albuquerque Isotopes have been going at it over this show.

http://callsaulnow.com/2015/02/18/be...aseball-teams/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just watched the first episode on British Netflix (Hola is great). Loved the very end. I'm assuming that most will be explained eventually, but did I miss something regarding the opening scene? Anyway, I've followed Odenkirk since The Ben Stiller Show, and I'm looking forward to this.

btw, I also like The Birthday Boys, which I never seem to hear anyone talk about.
    Did you mean the opening scene of the first episode or this latest episode from Monday? If you mean the first episode, that opening scene makes more sense once you've seen Breaking Bad all the way through.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Did you mean the opening scene of the first episode or this latest episode from Monday? If you mean the first episode, that opening scene makes more sense once you've seen Breaking Bad all the way through.
    Oh, I think he meant the opening scene of the series. Yeah, I completely overlooked the fact that if you haven't watched all of Breaking Bad that scene would be very confusing.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I found the explanation. I'm still on season 2 of Breaking Bad, so I was confused. I assumed this scene belonged in the new BCS timeline.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

So in Ep 4- Did Slipping Jimmy orchestrate the billboard thing or is it obvious he did it and I'm making it too difficult on myself?
    Witty signature.

He did it. Genius. Evil genius.

I'm loving this show.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

10. Likes:

Boss-Hog (02-25-2015),Razor Shines (02-25-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    So in Ep 4- Did Slipping Jimmy orchestrate the billboard thing or is it obvious he did it and I'm making it too difficult on myself?
    Yeah, he orchestrated it. After Jimmy pulled the guy to safety, he slipped him some cash as they slapped five.

This was my favorite episode so far and I've loved them all.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

In loving his gradual decent into the dark side. Just replace Jimmy with Anakin and its way better than the SW Prequels.

Saul good, man!
    Witty signature.

Better Call Saul!

Loving the show, too. One question: do we know what is up with brother Chuck McGill? Does he have some sort of mental illness or is it a real physical thing? I lean toward the former, but I am curious what others think. Perhaps this is just another thing the writers are withholding to keep the pages turning...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Awesome show so far. For those of you who enjoy good podcasts, I suggest the Better Call Saul official insider podcast. I had a long drive last week, and that episode's podcast killed an hour of driving like it was nothing at all. They reveal a lot of little tidbits about characters, casting, storylines, etc. It's really cool for Breaking Bad geeks, as they've got Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan on each show, and usually a writer or two, and one actor. They have to keep catching themselves talking too much about BB and getting back to their Better Call Saul stories. Everything is so intertwined, it's hard to keep them separate.

15. Likes:

RBA (02-25-2015),RedEye (02-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Loving the show, too. One question: do we know what is up with brother Chuck McGill? Does he have some sort of mental illness or is it a real physical thing? I lean toward the former, but I am curious what others think. Perhaps this is just another thing the writers are withholding to keep the pages turning...
    It seems psychosomatic with the
    Scene of him going under the powerlines. I certainly would like to know the genesis of his condition. I wonder if Jimmy is to blame somehow?
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    It seems psychosomatic with the
    Scene of him going under the powerlines. I certainly would like to know the genesis of his condition. I wonder if Jimmy is to blame somehow?
    I think it is one of the central enigmas of the show so far -- I just wasn't sure if I somehow missed something in the first few episodes. Right now, it seems like he's either crazy or has some sort of real condition. Maybe both. I hadn't thought of the idea that Jimmy might have something material to do with how he is; I kind of just thought he was trying to look after an older brother who helped him out when he was in jail. I could be wrong and that would be a fascinating turn for the plot, for sure.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

RedEye (03-08-2015)

Turn Off Ads?