Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol is OK now. Wait... what?

Re: Cholesterol is OK now. Wait... what?

Well for me, I believe that everything isn't bad at all if we do it in moderation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by winefurry View Post
    Well for me, I believe that everything isn't bad at all if we do it in moderation.
    True. But, it's difficult to do carbs in moderation without being vigilant about it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Maybe they should combine this thread with the Bacon-wrapped Deep Dish Pizza thread?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-21-2015),Dom Heffner (03-17-2015),Hoosier Red (03-11-2016),RedEye (03-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We don't even pay attention to the fat content at our house.
    I pay attention to the kind of fats I eat, not the amount. The industrial seed oils (soybean, corn, cottonseed, canola) I try to keep to a minimum. I eat eggs, meat, fish, butter, cheese and tropical oils (coconut or palm) with abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I pay attention to the kind of fats I eat, not the amount. The industrial seed oils (soybean, corn, cottonseed, canola) I try to keep to a minimum. I eat eggs, meat, fish, butter, cheese and tropical oils (coconut or palm) with abandon.
    That's what I meant.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Rojo (03-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Maybe they should combine this thread with the Bacon-wrapped Deep Dish Pizza thread?
    Strangely, I started both of them...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

10. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-21-2015),dfs (03-17-2015),GAC (03-19-2015),Kingspoint (03-17-2015)

I really dislike when people try to tell me how bad red meat is for me. Especially when it's organic grass-fed. I hope people educate themselves on this stuff sooner rather than later.

12. Likes:

Rojo (03-22-2015),wolfboy (04-13-2015)

Now they're rethinking their guidelines on salt. Now salt is more difficult to avoid than sugar or cholesterol. In fact, if you're on a low salt diet, forget eating out. Chefs can't get food to taste good w/o it. This article even talks about the difficulty in even doing a study on salt intake because it's so tough to measure in our diets, but even if one does limit their salt intake, how much does it really reduce your blood pressure? In the middle of the article it mentions that a reduction in salt intake can actually have negative consequences:

“The current [salt] guidelines are based on almost nothing,” said Oparil, a distinguished professor of medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. “Some people really want to hang onto this belief system on salt. But they are ignoring the evidence.”...Then, this past August, the New England Journal of Medicine published the results of a massive research effort known as the PURE study. It indicated that people who conform to the U.S. recommended limits actually have more heart trouble.

To explain their findings, these researchers pointed to studies suggesting that low sodium may stimulate the production of renin, a hormone that may have harmful effects on blood vessels.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...vernment-says/

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Strangely, I started both of them...
    In the right forum, even.

15. Likes:

RedEye (04-07-2015)

For decades, more and more Californians have put on weight and fallen sick with diabetes, prompting warnings that the disease was spiraling out of control.

Now experts have data showing just how bleak the situation is.

Researchers from UCLA determined that 55% of California adults have either diabetes or pre-diabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be considered diabetic, according to a study published Thursday.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...310-story.html

If half of Californians are pre diabetic then my guess is the numbers are even worse for rust belt states and in the south where health is generally not as much of a priority.

This is what our country has to show for the no fat craze and our horrible eating habits. Of the 5 members in my family, I'm the only one w/o blood sugar problems so I know this is very real. Carbs are the enemy. If you eat them, that's OK, but you have to burn them off. Don't eat the potatoes and stay on the couch all day.

17. Likes:

KittyDuran (03-11-2016),Rojo (03-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...310-story.html
    If half of Californians are pre diabetic then my guess is the numbers are even worse for rust belt states and in the south where health is generally not as much of a priority.
    Did you just call me fat?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-11-2016),Joseph (03-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Did you just call me fat?
    Husky
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

21. Likes:

TRF (03-16-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Husky
    He's husky.

I'm big boned.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    He's husky.

I'm big boned.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

24. Likes:

Chip R (03-16-2016),TRF (03-16-2016),WrongVerb (03-11-2016)

March 25, 2014 I suffered a heart attack with cardiac arrest. I was dead at the age of 45. Thanks to my coworkers doing CPR on me, the EMTs not quit trying to revive me, and the Grace of God, I survived. I had my heart attack after doing my daily 3 mile run. I tried to eat right and be healthy. All that being said, my Father passed from heart problems and had his first heart attack at age 45 also. I had tried to do the right things, but genetics were stronger.

Now I am highly medicated to go along with the exercise.

The big thing I try to do with the diet is avoid hydrogenated oils which make up trans fats. These are man made fats and are much worse for you than saturated fats. They are hidden in products to give them a longer shelf life. Little Debbies, Twinkies, stick margerine, cake mixes are full of them. Also if a product has less than .5 grams per serving they can say it has 0 trans fats, so read your labels

26. Likes:

919191 (04-08-2016),BillDoran (04-09-2016),Chip R (04-07-2016),cumberlandreds (04-07-2016),Rojo (04-07-2016)

Turn Off Ads?