Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cholesterol is OK now. Wait... what?

Re: Cholesterol is OK now. Wait... what?

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyField View Post
    March 25, 2014 I suffered a heart attack with cardiac arrest. I was dead at the age of 45. Thanks to my coworkers doing CPR on me, the EMTs not quit trying to revive me, and the Grace of God, I survived. I had my heart attack after doing my daily 3 mile run. I tried to eat right and be healthy. All that being said, my Father passed from heart problems and had his first heart attack at age 45 also. I had tried to do the right things, but genetics were stronger.

Now I am highly medicated to go along with the exercise.

The big thing I try to do with the diet is avoid hydrogenated oils which make up trans fats. These are man made fats and are much worse for you than saturated fats. They are hidden in products to give them a longer shelf life. Little Debbies, Twinkies, stick margarine, cake mixes are full of them. Also if a product has less than .5 grams per serving they can say it has 0 trans fats, so read your labels
    Wow. How scary. Thanks for contributing your story to the discussion.

Did you experience any life after death stuff while you were out?

2. Turn Off Ads?

As far as the heart attack went, I felt no pain. I was in the middle of a conversation and fell on the floor. My friends thought I was joking around.

While I was out, I did experience some things. Most of it would be like riding space mountain, lights rushing past me, heading to a bright light. I definitely heard my father's voice and then I woke up. Only problem was, it was about 12 hours after I passed out. When they put me on the ambulance, I was coded, but somewhere between the school where I teach and coach and the hospital I regained a pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So, yeah. It's mostly genetic.
    Heck, I could have told you that!

And that's not to say we shouldn't watch our diet and what we consume though.

One's metabolism, IMO, has a lot to do with it. I've always been a hyper, high energy guy (even at age 60)... and people are always saying to me... "Why is it you an eat almost anything - sugary sweets, whatever, and be so lean? If I even look at a Hostess fruit pie or half he stuff I see you eat, I put on 10 lbs and my cholesterol is through the roof!"

My oldest son (age 27) is 280 lbs, but yet his cholesterol is sub-200. And the kid's main diet is PIZZA!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

As far as the heart attack went, I felt no pain. I was in the middle of a conversation and fell on the floor. My friends thought I was joking around.

While I was out, I did experience some things. Most of it would be like riding space mountain, lights rushing past me, heading to a bright light. I definitely heard my father's voice and then I woke up. Only problem was, it was about 12 hours after I passed out. When they put me on the ambulance, I was coded, but somewhere between the school where I teach and coach and the hospital I regained a pulse.
    Is your father alive?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Heck, I could have told you that!

And that's not to say we shouldn't watch our diet and what we consume though.

One's metabolism, IMO, has a lot to do with it. I've always been a hyper, high energy guy (even at age 60)... and people are always saying to me... "Why is it you an eat almost anything - sugary sweets, whatever, and be so lean? If I even look at a Hostess fruit pie or half he stuff I see you eat, I put on 10 lbs and my cholesterol is through the roof!"

My oldest son (age 27) is 280 lbs, but yet his cholesterol is sub-200. And the kid's main diet is PIZZA!
    Cholesterol is not the big deal. Your son would be much better off with a cholesterol number of 280 and a weight that's sub 200

Comprehensive (and very long) article on how we went off track on fat, cholesterol and sugar.

Eat eggs, not cereal.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...P=share_btn_tw

Ancel Keys was brilliant, charismatic, and combative. A friendly colleague at the University of Minnesota described him as, “direct to the point of bluntness, critical to the point of skewering”; others were less charitable. He exuded conviction at a time when confidence was most welcome. The president, the physician and the scientist formed a reassuring chain of male authority, and the notion that fatty foods were unhealthy started to take hold with doctors, and the public. (Eisenhower himself cut saturated fats and cholesterol from his diet altogether, right up until his death, in 1969, from heart disease.)

Many scientists, especially British ones, remained sceptical. The most prominent doubter was John Yudkin, then the UK’s leading nutritionist. When Yudkin looked at the data on heart disease, he was struck by its correlation with the consumption of sugar, not fat. He carried out a series of laboratory experiments on animals and humans, and observed, as others had before him, that sugar is processed in the liver, where it turns to fat, before entering the bloodstream.

He noted, too, that while humans have always been carnivorous, carbohydrates only became a major component of their diet 10,000 years ago, with the advent of mass agriculture. Sugar – a pure carbohydrate, with all fibre and nutrition stripped out – has been part of western diets for just 300 years; in evolutionary terms, it is as if we have, just this second, taken our first dose of it. Saturated fats, by contrast, are so intimately bound up with our evolution that they are abundantly present in breast milk. To Yudkin’s thinking, it seemed more likely to be the recent innovation, rather than the prehistoric staple, making us sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is your father alive?
    He had been dead for four years when I had my heart attack

He had been dead for four years when I had my heart attack
    Interesting. Do you have any memory of what he said when you heard his voice? (You do have 5th amendment rights around here if you don't care to answer)

Here's a British article on the subject. It shows how divided the community is:

David Haslam, chairman of the forum, said: “Guidelines from on high suggesting high-carbohydrate, low-fat diets were the universal panacea are deeply flawed. “A new approach is needed – a return to 18th century values, drawn up before modern interference with basic principles occurred.”

The report, produced in association with Public Health Collaboration, says poor dietary advice has been given for too long because of vested interests and flawed science.

Researchers say decades-old, state-sponsored public health messages are responsible for creating the UK’s obesity and Type 2 diabetes catastrophes.

Saturated fat, they add, does not cause heart disease and we should stop counting calories if we want to lose weight. It even claims the establishment 'colluded with industry for financial gain'.
    I thought this was particularly alarming:

A survey revealing 83 per cent of doctors thought butter was worse than margarine and 66 per cent believed vegetable oils were beneficial was 'shocking'.
    This doctor sure isn't mincing words:

Consultant cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra said: “The change in dietary advice to promote low-fat foods is perhaps the biggest mistake in modern medical history resulting in devastating consequences for public health. Sadly this unhelpful advice continues to be perpetuated.”
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...holesterol-NHS

11. Likes:

Rojo (05-23-2016)

I found this interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/h...0inches%20tall

I didn't realize that the average adult male in this country is 5'9" 198 lbs and has a 40" waist. That's average! (Females were nothing to write home about either)

No wonder we have so much cancer, C19 deaths and diabetes. That kind of body will give you all sorts of health problems.

Great stuff from everyone.

There’s no way it’s 5 foot 9. When I got to the malls in SoCal and there at least 5 I go to during this pandemic before and even after the gyms opened up again. A lot of people and more so now we’re walking around getting exercise, I noticed how tall and I’m 5’11 and with the dress shoes or even sneakers closer to 6. The majority were taller or at my height. Women on average are a lot taller. I was bored do I started taking count yes. I thought the average was 5-10 30 years ago and it had gone up to 6.

In regards to diets. I do not recall the former Nazi doctors name. He was studying the correlation between low carb - high fat diets that would reduce the chances of cancer. That’s what I worry about the most especially in men who are prone to more colon cancer then ever. I’ve never smoked. I used to drink more then a few cocktails once a week. Now for the last 5 years it’s barely once a month and only red wine.

I know grass fed beef is good. But after a year of lockdowns my blood showed high and my doctor thinks I eat pasta. I don’t anymore. I eat 3-4 eggs per day but it was fried or scrambled. Now I just eat hard boiled egg whites only. I eat a bunch of Spinach Kale. Tuna with water fresh caught. Either 0 sugar or no more then 6 grams of sugar non fat dairy yogurt.
    Same with Peanut Butter that has only 1-3 grams. Yes it has saturated fat. About 6-9 grams.
    Raw unsalted almonds. High fiber whole wheat cereals which have high carbs but no fat or sugar.
    Tons of blueberries. Eat organic mozzarella cashew cheese. Salmon about 3 times a week.

Most of the time I feel hungry but it’s better then feeling bloated. However like others have said if it’s in your blood hereditary then you’re stuck. The doctor did not prescribe anything for that because my blood sugar level was the issue at about 220-230. So it was Metformin for me. However a month before that I had been eating what I described and also only water and organic green tea. The Metformin is not terrible however it’s also not great and I have been working on doing this on my own. Without having to take this type of medication continuously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Great stuff from everyone.

There’s no way it’s 5 foot 9. When I got to the malls in SoCal and there at least 5 I go to during this pandemic before and even after the gyms opened up again. A lot of people and more so now we’re walking around getting exercise, I noticed how tall and I’m 5’11 and with the dress shoes or even sneakers closer to 6. The majority were taller or at my height. Women on average are a lot taller. I was bored do I started taking count yes. I thought the average was 5-10 30 years ago and it had gone up to 6.
    You forget that there are a lot of Asians and Latinos in this country, and that brings the average down. A cursory google shows that the average white male is between 5-10 and 5-11.

My doctor pretty much think every food is the devil. Therefore, I TRY to eat in moderation, read food labels and have been riding an exercise bike lately. I just turn on YouTube and 50 minutes goes by just like that. Most articles I have read says 150 minutes of exercise a week is recommended.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?