Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3/28/15 vs Cubs Chapman starts

Re: 3/28/15 vs Cubs Chapman starts

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    First, see my above post. Here it is again:

Second, you're missing the point.

Marty has been the voice of the Reds for 40 years. During that time span, there's been at least a dozen Reds players just as, if not more, popular and famous as Votto. If Votto were traded today, fans would be upset, but find another Red to root for, and continue rooting for the Reds. If Marty were fired because he criticized Votto, there would be a revolt, not just amongst the fans, but throughout the journalism world, and within the Reds organization.

In other words, Votto is replaceable and Marty is untouchable.
    And, from a large portion of the fanbase, there would be a different kind of rioting. Rioting in joy.

I just don't see how it makes sense to say an announcer is a bigger part of the franchise than a player who has been worth nearly 40 WAR over his career and is a guy they're paying 20 million a year to.

At least with other non player entities (Managers, GMs, etc.), you can say that they've had an impact on the scoreboard. But Franchester hasn't won this team anything. He's an entertainer (and, IMO, an un-listenable one for going on 5 years now.) So him being a bigger part of the franchise than Votto is pretty silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, for the record, Marty in is the HOF. But he's not a Hall of Famer. They do call him "the hall of famer" sometimes, and you're right, he should correct them when they do. But when they call him, "hall of fame broadcaster" that is accurate.
    He isn't in the HOF lol.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBresser View Post
    And, from a large portion of the fanbase, there would be a different kind of rioting. Rioting in joy.

I just don't see how it makes sense to say an announcer is a bigger part of the franchise than a player who has been worth nearly 40 WAR over his career and is a guy they're paying 20 million a year to.

At least with other non player entities (Managers, GMs, etc.), you can say that they've had an impact on the scoreboard. But Franchester hasn't won this team anything. He's an entertainer (and, IMO, an un-listenable one for going on 5 years now.) So him being a bigger part of the franchise than Votto is pretty silly.

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't in the HOF lol.
    If Marty is in the baseball hall then I'm in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After all, I've seen Rush live, and they're in. That's enough right?

Marty won the Frick award. The HOF clearly, very clearly states that winners of the Frick and whatever the writers award is are not to be considered as members of the Hall.

4. Likes:

JoshBresser (03-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    If Marty is in the baseball hall then I'm in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. After all, I've seen Rush live, and they're in. That's enough right?

Marty won the Frick award. The HOF clearly, very clearly states that winners of the Frick and whatever the writers award is are not to be considered as members of the Hall.
    Sorry, but as one who has taught a linguist class, I have to correct you guys here.

Marty is in the MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Marty in the spot where they recognize the Ford Frick winners. Similarly, Joey Votto is in then MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Votto in the spot where they recognize the NL MVP winners.

Neither of them are members of the Hall of Fame, nor are they "hall of famers." But they both absolutely are in the Hall of Fame. It also is correct to call Marty a Hall of Fame broadcaster, as the Ford Frick award is the top award that a broadcaster can get from the MLB Hall of Fame. There are no broadcasters, who never played the game, who are members of the Hall of Fame, but plenty that are in the Hall of Fame, and are considered Hall of Fame broadcasters.

Think about it. Do you really want to say that Mell Allen, Ernie Harwell and Vince Scully are not in the MLB Hall of Fame, or that they aren't Hall of Fame broadcasters?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sorry, but as one who has taught a linguist class, I have to correct you guys here.

Marty is in the MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Marty in the spot where they recognize the Ford Frick winners. Similarly, Joey Votto is in then MLB Hall of Fame, meaning if you go to the MLB Hall of Fame, you will see Votto in the spot where they recognize the NL MVP winners.

Neither of them are members of the Hall of Fame, nor are they "hall of famers." But they both absolutely are in the Hall of Fame. It also is correct to call Marty a Hall of Fame broadcaster, as the Ford Frick award is the top award that a broadcaster can get from the MLB Hall of Fame. There are no broadcasters, who never played the game, who are members of the Hall of Fame, but plenty that are in the Hall of Fame, and are considered Hall of Fame broadcasters.

Think about it. Do you really want to say that Mell Allen, Ernie Harwell and Vince Scully are not in the MLB Hall of Fame, or that they aren't Hall of Fame broadcasters?
    Yes

Turn Off Ads?