Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA a "house of cards"?

Re: NCAA a "house of cards"?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Also, what will end up happening is that the power dynamic in college sports will change along with the allocation of money. As it stands, the coaches are ultra-powerful because they hold the keys to everything. Coaches are the number one reason that athletes pick a particular school. When money enters the equation, the coaches strangle-hold over that will diminish, as will their value. So, the massive payouts going to coaches will begin to be redistributed towards the kids. Alabama won't have to pay Nick Saban that much money because they can just pay to get the best players more directly.

I for one would be happy to end the reign of the dictator/coach.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (05-10-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What makes it wrong is that the coaches and AD's (the adults) are making out like bandits. If it had the financial structure of high school sports (or even earlier college sports), it would be different.

Every other industry in the world has figured out some way to compensate their employess. I'm sure big smart universities could do the same.
    The coaches and ADs making big bucks doesn't bother me. There's a lot of good coming from this as well. For example mens' football and basketball pretty much pay the freight for all the other sports as well. That enables kids to go to school on a lacross or tennis scholarship. On some campuses where the sports program is particularly lucrative, the money will go towards other things such as a new library. That's what my school was doing while I was a student at the U of Tenn. There are a few stars that you might say are coming out on the short end of the stick in this deal but by in large it's a pretty good deal for 90% of the student athletes

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Also, what will end up happening is that the power dynamic in college sports will change along with the allocation of money. As it stands, the coaches are ultra-powerful because they hold the keys to everything. Coaches are the number one reason that athletes pick a particular school. When money enters the equation, the coaches strangle-hold over that will diminish, as will their value. So, the massive payouts going to coaches will begin to be redistributed towards the kids. Alabama won't have to pay Nick Saban that much money because they can just pay to get the best players more directly.

I for one would be happy to end the reign of the dictator/coach.
    I tend to agree with that. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I tend to agree with that. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
    I tend to get frustrated with the "it's too complicated to fix" argument to most of anything.

I tend to get frustrated with the "it's too complicated to fix" argument to most of anything.
    You mean like a college football play-off? LOL

OK, let's start with defining the problem. What problem here needs to be fixed? I understand the NCAA BB tourney makes lots of money and you want some of it to go to the players. Do the backend guys get a check? How 'bout the walk ons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, let's start with defining the problem. What problem here needs to be fixed? I understand the NCAA BB tourney makes lots of money and you want some of it to go to the players. Do the backend guys get a check? How 'bout the walk ons?
    To me the problem is the "in-mates", so to speak, are starting to want to run the asylum. These kids are starting to want to get money for their services, the full ride scholorship aint enough anymore in their minds. Check this article out.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...to-pay-players

To me the problem is the "in-mates", so to speak, are starting to want to run the asylum. These kids are starting to want to get money for their services, the full ride scholorship aint enough anymore in their minds. Check this article out.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...to-pay-players
    Nigel Hayes' proposition is insane. If we let the schools pay their athletes whatever they want then it'd be like the NFL without roster limits or a salary cap.

Do you have anything more plausible to present?

Honestly, who cares if Nigel Hayes wants money? The answer's no and move on. That's how I was raised

Nigel Hayes' proposition is insane. If we let the schools pay their athletes whatever they want then it'd be like the NFL without roster limits or a salary cap.

Do you have anything more plausible to present?

Honestly, who cares if Nigel Hayes wants money? The answer's no and move on. That's how I was raised
    As I see it the problems all stem from the fact that athletes have limited choices, take all the risks when deciding to turn pro, and on top of that do not have access to unbiased advice when making their decisions.

Here are a few random ideas to kick around:
    - Remove draft restrictions. Athletes don't have to declare for the draft and are eligible as soon as their HS class graduates. Simply being drafted does not make them ineligible for college.
    - Even if an athlete signs a pro contract allow them to participate in collegiate athletics up to the point they are added to a professional roster. This means they can sign a contract, train with the team and if they are not ready to play professionally they can return/attend college. They would not be on scholarship - the contract with the professional team would presumably cover all college costs.
    - Have the NCAA fund an independent counseling service to provide guidance to college and incoming college athletes - so they do not need to deal with agents (at least right away).

12. Likes:

REDREAD (05-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    As I see it the problems all stem from the fact that athletes have limited choices, take all the risks when deciding to turn pro, and on top of that do not have access to unbiased advice when making their decisions.

Here are a few random ideas to kick around:
    - Remove draft restrictions. Athletes don't have to declare for the draft and are eligible as soon as their HS class graduates. Simply being drafted does not make them ineligible for college.
    - Even if an athlete signs a pro contract allow them to participate in collegiate athletics up to the point they are added to a professional roster. This means they can sign a contract, train with the team and if they are not ready to play professionally they can return/attend college. They would not be on scholarship - the contract with the professional team would presumably cover all college costs.
    - Have the NCAA fund an independent counseling service to provide guidance to college and incoming college athletes - so they do not need to deal with agents (at least right away).
    The first one has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's the pro leagues that set up the draft rules. As for the other two, fine. But I don't know what we've solved. Only the elite of the elite gets a pro contract and your proposals won't change anything for most of them.

The first one has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's the pro leagues that set up the draft rules. As for the other two, fine. But I don't know what we've solved. Only the elite of the elite gets a pro contract and your proposals won't change anything for most of them.
    Certainly true that the pro leagues set up the draft rules, but the NCAA controls the eligibility requirements. Even if the NCAA allowed drafted players to maintain their eligibility at least until they signed a contract I bet the NBA and NFL would be looking for some sort of compromise. If the NCAA is going to be a developmental league for the NBA and NFL then they should be pitching in for that development.

The players being exploited are the elite. They are the ones that drive the NCAA revenue. They are the ones that should be compensated above and beyond a scholarship. In my opinion the athletes that have no shot of playing professionally should be happy with a free education.

Now I agree that the NCAA is profiting enormously, but I think that money could be put to better use than paying student athletes anything more than a scholarship and perhaps a modest stipend.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If you don't want to pay college athletes in revenue generating sports, you're a communist and you should go back to Mother Russia.

The coaches and ADs making big bucks doesn't bother me. There's a lot of good coming from this as well. For example mens' football and basketball pretty much pay the freight for all the other sports as well. That enables kids to go to school on a lacross or tennis scholarship. On some campuses where the sports program is particularly lucrative, the money will go towards other things such as a new library. That's what my school was doing while I was a student at the U of Tenn. There are a few stars that you might say are coming out on the short end of the stick in this deal but by in large it's a pretty good deal for 90% of the student athletes
    Can you explain why the coaches and AD's making big bucks "doesn't bother you"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If you don't want to pay college athletes in revenue generating sports, you're a communist and you should go back to Mother Russia.
    That is so 70's, Doug. It's North Korea these days, my friend.

Just make College football and basketball teams go pro. No more scholarships, but athletes no longer have to waste time going to class. Teams could still make use of the school name and colors if they paying a licensing fee. They can also use university facilities (stadia and training facilities, provided they pay rent. Since the players are no longer student-athletes, players can negotiate whatever compensation package with the team as they can agree upon.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post

The players being exploited are the elite. They are the ones that drive the NCAA revenue. They are the ones that should be compensated above and beyond a scholarship. In my opinion the athletes that have no shot of playing professionally should be happy with a free education.
    It is of my opinion that the kids that will not have a shot at the next level are the ones that want the money. Just sayin'

Turn Off Ads?