Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL Draft (from the Windy City)

Re: 2015 NFL Draft (from the Windy City)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Last in sacks, you get a defensive player...

What a freaking waste of a pick.

As usual, the Steelers take who we should have.
    I think Bud Dupree will be great for the Steelers, but I don't think he'd have fit in very well with what we do here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ravens get better too. Perriman is the perfect replacement for Torrey Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    With the injury it's a bigger risk than I'd want for a first rounder. It's a surprising pick, but it ain't Sean Brewer.
    Eh I'm sure they looked into it, and ACL injuries aren't that big of a deal anymore. Guys come back just as good as ever regularly.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    It's basically punting away a pick, and I was high on Dupree.

Even less happy we get to face him twice a year in a retooling Steeler defense.
    Yep. You take the freak and you get the most value for your slot.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

People get way too emotionally invested in this stuff.

It's. Just. A. Game.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-01-2015),wolfboy (04-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Eh I'm sure they looked into it, and ACL injuries aren't that big of a deal anymore. Guys come back just as good as ever regularly.
    You're right. But hard to argue that it's not a gamble on their part. I'd feel better about the pick if they snagged him in the 2nd round, but I'm not that upset. They have one of the best OL coaches around who hasn't gotten it wrong many times.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'll also add that an ACL injury might not be that big of a deal overall these days. But for an offensive lineman trying to lead the run game in the trenches of the AFC North in December or January, it might be a big deal.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I think Bud Dupree will be great for the Steelers, but I don't think he'd have fit in very well with what we do here.
    They made a pick for year after next, burning one year of a contract...I'm not a fan of the stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    They made a pick for year after next, burning one year of a contract...I'm not a fan of the stash.
    Pick was based heavily on the future, which btw I have no problems with, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't play this year...somewhere on the line.

With Whitworth getting older and Andre Smith being injury prone/last year of deal, the Bengals went and drafted their favorite OT in this draft. With their recent track record, I'll trust that they evaluated him well and had good reason for having him as their guy all along.

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-01-2015),wolfboy (04-30-2015)

Bengals also have 6 picks in this first 4 rounds, and there's a lot of talent in this year's draft. There's still plenty of chances for exciting picks.

Pick was based heavily on the future, which btw I have no problems with, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't play this year...somewhere on the line.

With Whitworth getting older and Andre Smith being injury prone/last year of deal, the Bengals went and drafted their favorite OT in this draft. With their recent track record, I'll trust that they evaluated him well and had good reason for having him as their guy all along.
    My questions don't relate to his injury as much as the system he played in, and whether that fits well in the AFC North type of football. But I'm just some dolt on a couch; and, as you mentioned, these guys have given me enough of a reason to trust them (did I just say that about the Bengals?).

15. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-01-2015)

It has nothing to do with the ACL injury. 3% of all players with ACL injuries have 2nd ones. It's almost a minor issue. Chronic back issues in a 22-year old that are bad enough that he couldn't practice all year between games is a major issue. The Bengals' medical team has proven to be incompetent and it was purely on their recommendation that this pick was made.

Using first round picks on medical risks and character risks is a recipe for disaster for a franchise that refuses to use free agency to obtain good players.

This pick was an "F-" and pisses me off. I would rather have any of the next 50 players than this pick. We'll get to watch a hundred players taken after him have better careers.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (05-01-2015)

Bengals also have 6 picks in this first 4 rounds, and there's a lot of talent in this year's draft. There's still plenty of chances for exciting picks.
    But, not to get a DT like Malcom Brown, or a Safety as good as Randall, or a MLB as good as Kendricks, or a WR as good as Perriman, or an OT as good and RELIABLE as Fisher, or four dozen other players who will be more productive during their rookie contracts.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    People get way too emotionally invested in this stuff.

It's. Just. A. Game.
    Never disparage other people's passions. It's arrogant to suggest you know more than someone else about what's important enough to care about. If we went that route, then one could argue that every post you've made here could have been time spent helping the poor. Nobody should tell someone what is important and what isn't.

I'm not crazy about that pick, but to be honest Marvin Lewis and Co. have a pretty good track record when it comes to the draft, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people are upset Bud Dupree wasn't picked, but I feel that has more to do with the fact that he's a UK player. Physically he seems fantastic, but I'm not sure he was consistent enough in college for my tastes. Malcolm Brown would've been nice, but I'm sure they'll get a tackle a bit later on, and if they truly think Cedric is a top 10 pick without the knee injury, then they made the right decision in drafting him.

Turn Off Ads?