Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL Draft (from the Windy City)

Re: 2015 NFL Draft (from the Windy City)

Scratching my head trying to figure the Colts logic in selecting another W.R. in Phillip Dorsett they need O.l. help or perhaps another R.B. as a change of pace for gore .Seems another W.R. is an unneeded luxury.
    Last edited by cinredsfan2000; 05-01-2015 at 07:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It has nothing to do with the ACL injury. 3% of all players with ACL injuries have 2nd ones. It's almost a minor issue. Chronic back issues in a 22-year old that are bad enough that he couldn't practice all year between games is a major issue. The Bengals' medical team has proven to be incompetent and it was purely on their recommendation that this pick was made.

Using first round picks on medical risks and character risks is a recipe for disaster for a franchise that refuses to use free agency to obtain good players.

This pick was an "F-" and pisses me off. I would rather have any of the next 50 players than this pick. We'll get to watch a hundred players taken after him have better careers.
    I guess I'm to the point now where I trust Marvin Lewis' ability to draft players. We're not immune to terrible picks by any means, but he hasn't missed often. When they say this is the guy they wanted all along, I'm happy we were able to get him. Grading the pick one way or the other seems silly until at least a couple of years have passed and we see what we have in him. The Bengals were absolutely gushing about the guy. We don't need an OT right away, but we all know that we are going to need an OT in the near future.

And ML has shown the ability to consistently get impact players after the first round. With as much talent that's left, and all of the picks we have left, I think we're in a great spot.

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I'm not crazy about that pick, but to be honest Marvin Lewis and Co. have a pretty good track record when it comes to the draft, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. A lot of people are upset Bud Dupree wasn't picked, but I feel that has more to do with the fact that he's a UK player. Physically he seems fantastic, but I'm not sure he was consistent enough in college for my tastes. Malcolm Brown would've been nice, but I'm sure they'll get a tackle a bit later on, and if they truly think Cedric is a top 10 pick without the knee injury, then they made the right decision in drafting him.
    Playing for UK is a bonus, but I'd feel the same way if he played for Ohio State.

He's a physical freak who plays at a position the Bengals needed help at just as much.

I agree with Dom. The Bengals aren't in a luxury where they can do a draft and stash. They need someone who can come in and make an impact THIS year and they failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-01-2015)

I would have liked the Wide Out at this pick. I hate the idea of a stash pick but with our injury history this kid may play. Not really concerned about the back, the only site I saw any concerns about the back were on Rotoworld. Plus he did pass his draft physical which is pretty intense. Personally I would have taken Green Beckham or the kid from ASU Strong however Bengals could get these guys in round 2. I will see how things play out tonight.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

It amuses me that so many people predicted that Shane Ray's marijuana citation would drop him to the third or fourth round, yet he still goes comfortably in the first round. If he was caught with meth I could understand, but pot? Drug moralizers are out of touch with reality.

9. Likes:

westofyou (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Never disparage other people's passions. It's arrogant to suggest you know more than someone else about what's important enough to care about. If we went that route, then one could argue that every post you've made here could have been time spent helping the poor. Nobody should tell someone what is important and what isn't.
    It's. Just. A. Game.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

11. Likes:

westofyou (05-01-2015),WrongVerb (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Playing for UK is a bonus, but I'd feel the same way if he played for Ohio State.

He's a physical freak who plays at a position the Bengals needed help at just as much.

I agree with Dom. The Bengals aren't in a luxury where they can do a draft and stash. They need someone who can come in and make an impact THIS year and they failed.
    What position does Dupree play that he's an immediate impact player for the Bengals?

DE and he's behind Dunlap and Johnson. Also pretty small to play DE in the AFCN
    OLB? Not great in coverage.

He can make an immediate impact as a pass rushing OLB for the Steelers because of their defense. He'd have been out of place on the Bengals.

Wonder if the Eagles are going to try and grab Hundley today.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    It amuses me that so many people predicted that Shane Ray's marijuana citation would drop him to the third or fourth round, yet he still goes comfortably in the first round. If he was caught with meth I could understand, but pot? Drug moralizers are out of touch with reality.
    And Denver traded up to get him. AND he gets to go to one of two states where he won't have to worry about the law. (Of course he'll still be subject to NFL drug policy)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wonder if the Eagles are going to try and grab Hundley today.
    I hadn't thought of that, but that would certainly be a great spot for him. It's a good system for him, and what he really needs is reps, and the Eagles get their backups more reps than any team in the league.

Could he beat out Tebow?

I didn't love the pick last night, but I don't think it was a bad one. I think he'll probably be a very good player. However, if I was the Bengals, I would have approached this draft with a much higher risk tolerance instead of taking a reasoned, long term approach, even though that has a much higher chance of being successful.

The Bengals seem to be stuck in a place where they're pretty good, but Dalton surrounded by a really good cast isn't enough to get it done. And they don't really have any glaring holes. There are no positions on the roster that absolutely must be upgraded. They need to catch lightning in a bottle, and get some dynamic playmakers. But based on where they draft, they need to take risks. I would have liked to see them take Shane Ray, and I hope they're at least looking at DGB if he's there in round 2 (I'm a little more hesitant about DGB based on the DV accusation, but I haven't followed it too closely). I think they need to be willing to completely strike out in the hopes of getting a potential star, especially because the guy they ended up getting was more a luxury than a specific need. If he ends up being a whiff, there are already 2 solid guys ahead of him.

17. Likes:

Benihana (05-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    The Bengals seem to be stuck in a place where they're pretty good, but Dalton surrounded by a really good cast isn't enough to get it done. And they don't really have any glaring holes. There are no positions on the roster that absolutely must be upgraded. .
    I would argue LB is a glaring hole but I get that there wasn't anyone at #21 worth taking. The entire defense ranked #23rd and had 20 total sacks, so I would say pass rusher is a glaring hole. Johnson back should help, but he's still only had one double-digit sack season so I don't think he alone is anywhere near a solution.

I didn't love the pick last night, but I don't think it was a bad one. I think he'll probably be a very good player. However, if I was the Bengals, I would have approached this draft with a much higher risk tolerance instead of taking a reasoned, long term approach, even though that has a much higher chance of being successful.

The Bengals seem to be stuck in a place where they're pretty good, but Dalton surrounded by a really good cast isn't enough to get it done. And they don't really have any glaring holes. There are no positions on the roster that absolutely must be upgraded. They need to catch lightning in a bottle, and get some dynamic playmakers. But based on where they draft, they need to take risks. I would have liked to see them take Shane Ray, and I hope they're at least looking at DGB if he's there in round 2 (I'm a little more hesitant about DGB based on the DV accusation, but I haven't followed it too closely). I think they need to be willing to completely strike out in the hopes of getting a potential star, especially because the guy they ended up getting was more a luxury than a specific need. If he ends up being a whiff, there are already 2 solid guys ahead of him.
    Totally agree. They need to go for upside not "depth replacements". Otherwise, they'll never get to the next level- it will just be more of the same.
    Go BLUE!!!

The addition of Jeremy Hill last year was huge, but unfortunately half the team was hurt by the end of the year.

Without Jones and Eifert for the entire year, Green for some of it, Gresham by the end of it and then missing all we were on defense, we were a gutted team last year. That we even made the playoffs says a lot about Marvin's ability to coach and build depth in the organization.

I agree we don't have any glaring holes that need to be filled. The one way to make this team a lot better is to find an elite QB somewhere, but that isn't gonna happen. I'm just hoping that we can make it through this upcoming season relatively healthy so we have a better chance to beat good teams when it matters.

Jeremy Hill made us a lot better. I want to see how good we are with him and a healthy receiving group. Especially Eifert and Jones.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I would argue LB is a glaring hole but I get that there wasn't anyone at #21 worth taking. The entire defense ranked #23rd and had 20 total sacks, so I would say pass rusher is a glaring hole. Johnson back should help, but he's still only had one double-digit sack season so I don't think he alone is anywhere near a solution.
    Pass rusher is a hole, but Michael Johnson is almost certain to start over anybody that would get drafted at #21. It will be interesting to see what Margus Hunt can do this year as well, but he shouldn't keep the Bengals from drafting anybody. It should be interesting to see who they go after today

Turn Off Ads?