Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 5/7/15 Reds @ Pirates. Disco Thursday!

Re: 5/7/15 Reds @ Pirates. Disco Thursday!

So if Chapman and Cingrani are our "we got a lead lets try to not lose it" relievers, who in the world are we supposed to use in the 7th inning of a game we're losing? I realize we were just down 1 run. And keep in mind, we gotta do this 162 times this year.

Badenhop? Please no.
    Hoover? Already used.
    Contreras? Not really.
    Chapman? Would make no sense.
    Cingrani? Would make no sense.
    Diaz? Does it really matter?
    Gregg? I'd rather not.

Do not understand the heat Price is taking for his use of this pen. It's a bad bullpen any way you cut it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    So if Chapman and Cingrani are our "we got a lead lets try to not lose it" relievers, who in the world are we supposed to use in the 7th inning of a game we're losing? I realize we were just down 1 run. And keep in mind, we gotta do this 162 times this year.

Badenhop? Please no.
    Hoover? Already used.
    Contreras? Not really.
    Gregg? I'd rather not.

Do not understand the heat Price is taking for his use of this pen. It's a bad bullpen any way you cut it.
    It does matter between Diaz, Contreras and Gregg. The first two may let a run in every now and then. Gregg is almost assured to let multiple runs in. It also matters that Hoover was used before Gregg, and Gregg was used against the middle of the Pirate order. That made zero sense. And remember that Cingrani can go multiple innings. Bringing him in for the 7th and 8th, and the middle of the order, would have made the most sense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

marcshoe (05-08-2015),WVRedsFan (05-08-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It does matter between Diaz, Contreras and Gregg. The first two may let a run in every now and then. Gregg is almost assured to let multiple runs in. It also matters that Hoover was used before Gregg, and Gregg was used against the middle of the Pirate order. That made zero sense. And remember that Cingrani can go multiple innings. Bringing him in for the 7th and 8th, and the middle of the order, would have made the most sense.
    If we're going to use Diaz and Cingrani to attempt to get through late innings to get to Chapman I'm okay with that. But Diaz' ERA is over 8 compared to Gregg's 10+ ERA, but heading into last night's game Diaz and Gregg had been equally as terrible on the year. They're both bad. It'd be pretty cool if Carlos Contreras ends up being less bad than Badenhop, Gregg and Diaz, and using him in the 7th wouldn't have been a bad idea I agree there.

I just don't get the overall anger. Price can't avoid Badenhop and Gregg if they're on the team, it'll wear the other arms out. I don't think using Gregg against the middle of the order is ideal by any means, but I'm pretty sure he'd have given up runs regardless of when we used him. The bullpen is terrible and that's on Walt. Price could surely use them better, but I don't know that there's a "correct" way to use a pen with 3 or 4 legit gas cans.

How do you all feel about me replacing Gregg on our roster? I'll be honest right away and say I've never played competitive baseball and have never pitched before, but I'll play for 1/5 the league minimum, and I promise to voluntarily pull myself from any outing in which any of the following become true: a) I allow more than one base runner, b) allow a batter to reach scoring position, or c) allow a run (whether the runner is my responsibility or not).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    About 20 posters who didn't show up all night until Gregg blew it pop up out of nowhere. Hilarious. This is why these game threads are what they are.

FWIW, I did the opposite. I left right after I saw the hit that put it away.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Bruce's problem is BABIP. Has nothing to do with his approach, his swing, his eyes closing when he swings, nor his lack of adjustments.
    Spot on. He's fine, just crappy, CRAPPY luck right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post

Badenhop? Please no.
    Hoover? Already used.
    Contreras? Not really.
    Gregg? I'd rather not.

For myself, I would've put Cingrani in after he pulled DeSclafani instead of Hoover. I would've used Tony 2 or 3 innings since Disco had a short outing. If we tied it up or took the lead, Chapman to pitch the 9th. If Tony gives up a run or two...anybody can finish it up.

John Fay @johnfayman · 11h 11 hours ago
    "Cingrani and Diaz are going to get us to Chapman when we’re tied or ahead, but we’ve got to have guys to come in and keep it close too."
    John Fay @johnfayman · 11h 11 hours ago
    Price on Gregg: “I thought tonight’s game was another opportunity to get him in a close game and get him on a roll.”#reds (cont)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    For myself, I would've put Cingrani in after he pulled DeSclafani instead of Hoover. I would've used Tony 2 or 3 innings since Disco had a short outing. If we tied it up or took the lead, Chapman to pitch the 9th. If Tony gives up a run or two...anybody can finish it up.
    I'd actually love for Cingrani to be that kinda reliever for the team, but with our 8th inning struggles he's kinda gotten pushed into that role so I doubt we see him go multiple innings much. We may need him to go a few days in a row here and there, assuming our starters go deep and we get leads. If our starter goes 5 we're going to see some pitchers we absolutely do not want to see unless we overhaul the bullpen which I doubt happens.

It's 11:30 A.M. 5/8/15. Are Bryan Price and/or Kevin Gregg still with the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    It's 11:30 A.M. 5/8/15. Are Bryan Price and/or Kevin Gregg still with the Reds?
    Please don't ask tough questions like that. How does it benefit the Reds for everyone else to know that?

Turn Off Ads?