Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C'mon Iggy, stake your claim tonight!

C'mon Iggy, stake your claim tonight!

Show the Red's "brain trust" (full of rocket scientists of course) that you are here to stay! Carve up those Braves like a surgeon and stay in "the show" for the rest of your career.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: C'mon Iggy, stake your claim tonight!

Would be nice. A little alarming that in 21 innings at AAA he only managed 11k to 7BB. I'm guessing the Reds defense will help him out some on the balls hit but that will need to improve obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Would be nice. A little alarming that in 21 innings at AAA he only managed 11k to 7BB. I'm guessing the Reds defense will help him out some on the balls hit but that will need to improve obviously.
    Nothing alarming about his 21 AAA inning IMO. Incredibly small SS and a kid still looking to do some "tinkering and tweaking" most likely.

Sure isn't making it an easy decision. Really nice start over the first six innings. As I am on record earlier, I really don't like the idea of three rookies who need to be babied all in the rotation at once. I think Iggy needs to go back down no matter how well he's pitching. Desclafani and Lorenzen establishing themselves is enough to deal with no matter the Reds intent on competing, rebuilding or whatever.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If the Reds are serious about winning he stays. Lorenzen starts on Friday in place of Marquis (his normal day anyways) and Marquis goes to the pen as a true long man. He can be the caddy on any day a young buck gets blown up. Send Villareal back to AAA and plug in Matteus. When Parra comes back, DL or DFA Badenhop. EZ game.

7. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (05-14-2015),KYExtemper (05-13-2015),OGB (05-14-2015),Old school 1983 (05-13-2015),smixsell (05-14-2015),Tom Servo (05-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    Lorenzen starts on Friday in place of Marquis (his normal day anyways) and Marquis goes to the pen as a true long man. He can be the caddy on any day a young buck gets blown up.
    This seems incredibly logical to me.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-14-2015),Old school 1983 (05-13-2015),RedEye (05-13-2015)

Iglesias is having success so far against the Braves. However he really strikes me as possibly being a reliever eventually. Low 90's or High 80's with fastball with a good slider seems more like an 8th inning guy. Seems like after a few looks at him people might have more success. With his delivery and pitches he strikes me as Sergio Romo more than anyone else I can compare him to. Would not have a problem if bullpen help is in dire need him getting a shot at the 8th this season. I know people do not love the idea since Chapman got stuck there but they are two completely different talents.

3 Rookie starters who all need innings managed is too risky for me. Not interested in being forced into a position of riding these guys too hard. You just can't manage around three guys like that in the rotation IMO and I've no interest in a couple of them becoming casualties.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-13-2015),REDREAD (05-14-2015)

14. Likes:

KYExtemper (05-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    3 Rookie starters who all need innings managed is too risky for me. Not interested in being forced into a position of riding these guys too hard. You just can't manage around three guys like that in the rotation IMO and I've no interest in a couple of them becoming casualties.
    What are your other options? Marquis? No thanks. Moscot & Axelrod? I'll pass. The fact is the Reds are in this position with Bailey out and Marquis as cannon fodder. If you want to try to win they are the best options. If you want to call it a rebuild either way then need the MLB reps. In a perfect world they carry us to the deadline, you pick up a starter or two for the stretch and 2 of the 3 go to the pen.

I see a lot El Duque Hernandez in Iglesias. Different arm angels, changes speeds, sneaky fastball. I like this kid. A LOT. He staked his claim all right. Now he'll just have to kill Marquis to earn a spot.

17. Likes:

DGullett35 (05-13-2015),REDREAD (05-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Iglesias is having success so far against the Braves. However he really strikes me as possibly being a reliever eventually. Low 90's or High 80's with fastball with a good slider seems more like an 8th inning guy. Seems like after a few looks at him people might have more success. With his delivery and pitches he strikes me as Sergio Romo more than anyone else I can compare him to. Would not have a problem if bullpen help is in dire need him getting a shot at the 8th this season. I know people do not love the idea since Chapman got stuck there but they are two completely different talents.
    Time will tell of course, but I'm not so sure that I agree.

Number one, if he's going to throw from multiple arm angles and mix that up, I don't know how much of a bead hitters will truly be able to get on him no matter how many looks they have.

Second, and with this it doesn't matter really if he's a starter or a reliever, but his pitches seem to have wicked movement on them. That fastball was moving probably more than anyone's on the staff's, arguably and that slider was disappearing and diving at the last minute on hitters.

It could have been a great night, and obviously all things being equal it was regardless.

But with the arm angles and seeming to already have a plan and good head on his shoulders, I'm thinking much higher ceiling, much better stuff, at least in terms of the fastball version of Bronson Arroyo, to keep it a Reds only comparison.

19. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (05-14-2015)

He should stay down in AAA and this start just showed it.
    Let him start in AAA till the All star break, then move him to the pen in the majors for rest of year so we can get his IP up. I remember when Bailey came up, and a 6 inning 2 runs from a pitcher was considered good, and our rookies are doing better then that this year. I want Iggy to start so bad in the majors next year, and I want them to resign Cueto so your line up would go like this next year:

Cueto
    Lorenzan
    Bailey
    Iggy
    Disco

One can hope, and dream. Just think if we sign Cueto for the rest of his career, we would have this starting line up for the next 3-4 years.
    Last edited by PXShaman; 05-13-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PXShaman View Post
    He should stay down in AAA and this start just showed it.
    Let him start in AAA till the All star break, then move him to the pen in the majors for rest of year so we can get his IP up. I remember when Bailey came up, and a 6 inning 2 runs from a pitcher was considered good, and our rookies are doing better then that this year. I want Iggy to start so bad in the majors next year, and I want them to resign Cueto so your line up would go like this next year:

Cueto
    Lorenzan
    Bailey
    Iggy
    Disco

One can hope, and dream. Just think if we sign Cueto for the rest of his career, we would have this starting line up for the next 3-4 years.
    I am totally confused why tonight's start shows he belongs in AAA (I assume starting and accumulating IP).

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I am totally confused why tonight's start shows he belongs in AAA (I assume starting and accumulating IP).
    He gave up a hit.

He's a bum.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

23. Likes:

Gapper (05-14-2015)

Turn Off Ads?