Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal Thinks We Should Retool

Rosenthal Thinks We Should Retool

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rosenthal Thinks We Should Retool

I agree. Young and tons of payroll flex is the way to go. Cueto and Chapman should bring huge hauls. Leake should bring a very good haul. Phillips should bring a okay prospect and salary relief. Bruce should bring a box a balls. Honestly, I'd even consider moving Frazier. By the time the reds are ready to compete he will be expensive and on the decline.

Just load the system up like the Cubs. And party like it's 2017, in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I agree. Young and tons of payroll flex is the way to go. Cueto and Chapman should bring huge hauls. Leake should bring a very good haul. Phillips should bring a okay prospect and salary relief. Bruce should bring a box a balls. Honestly, I'd even consider moving Frazier. By the time the reds are ready to compete he will be expensive and on the decline.

Just load the system up like the Cubs. And party like it's 2017, in 2017.
    I agree with your general premise, but the Cubs lost a lot in order to load up the system. Not sure if they are the best comp.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Beltway (05-13-2015),Donder (05-13-2015),Old school 1983 (05-13-2015)

How come the Cardinals never have to "retool"? I'd like to fix the bullpen and either catch the Cardinals this year (c'mon do you think their bullpen arms will last through the Fall the way Matheny uses them on a nightly basis?) or make the WildCard and let Cueto Baumgarner us to a title. I just can't give up as easy as some of you as a pure retooling may mean another lost decade (2000-2009) and that is not a good option.
    Where we gonna go?

7. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-13-2015),Fil3232 (05-13-2015),HeatherC1212 (05-14-2015),KYExtemper (05-13-2015),marcshoe (05-13-2015),OGB (05-14-2015),REDREAD (05-13-2015),The Operator (05-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    How come the Cardinals never have to "retool"?
    I used to think this way, but I've just about thrown my hands up on trying to figure out how the Cardinals do what they do year in and year out. They draft these nobodies, teach them The Cardinal Way, and they become superstar hitters and pitchers. It just is what it is.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

9. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (05-13-2015),Hoosier Red (05-13-2015),Kingspoint (05-15-2015),OGB (05-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I used to think this way, but I've just about thrown my hands up on trying to figure out how the Cardinals do what they do year in and year out. They draft these nobodies, teach them The Cardinal Way, and they become superstar hitters and pitchers. It just is what it is.
    What I don't get is why other teams don't just do things the way the Cardinals do. They're obviously successful, and it's not like they have some magic potion. Just do what they seem to do.

Agreed. Every year it seems their lineup has 3 or 4 people you've never heard of until opening day hitting .285 or above. Their team batting average is something the Reds would kill for.

Stability, the Cardinals do it because of Stability, the same reason the Reds did it in the 70's.

Pick a plan, stick to the plan and don't fall in love with anything but the plan.

13. Likes:

919191 (05-14-2015),BluegrassRedleg (05-13-2015),Caveat Emperor (05-13-2015),dfs (05-13-2015),Fil3232 (05-13-2015),Larkin Fan (05-13-2015),TRF (05-13-2015),wolfboy (05-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stability, the Cardinals do it because of Stability, the same reason the Reds did it in the 70's.

Pick a plan, stick to the plan and don't fall in love with anything but the plan.
    Agree somewhat. In some instances, it pays to realize that the plan won't work before it's too late. Take Gregg, for example. Price and co. had it set in their heads the he was going to be the set up man. They saw the initial results, and instead of realizing that Gregg wasn't working, they stuck to that plan, hoping against hope that he was going to magically start being good. In that case, sticking to the plan costs this team a game or two or three.

What the Cardinals seem to do sometimes is embrace change and make changes when needed. The Reds seem to take far too long making changes when everyone knows that changes need to be made.

The Cardinals stunk in the 50s, they were mediocre in the 70s and 90s, so they'll stink again. When is anyone's guess, but the game will beat them at some point. They just beat the game more than most franchises.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-13-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Agree somewhat. In some instances, it pays to realize that the plan won't work before it's too late. Take Gregg, for example. Price and co. had it set in their heads the he was going to be the set up man. They saw the initial results, and instead of realizing that Gregg wasn't working, they stuck to that plan, hoping against hope that he was going to magically start being good. In that case, sticking to the plan costs this team a game or two or three.
    Plans aren't inherently good, there are plenty of bad ones. The Reds are full of them.

18. Likes:

The Operator (05-13-2015)

So, I read the article, and Rosenthal closes with asking the owners if they are listening to his general premise? Next thing you know, he'll be asking the principal for candy machines in the lunchroom.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by zrt123 View Post
    Agreed. Every year it seems their lineup has 3 or 4 people you've never heard of until opening day hitting .285 or above. Their team batting average is something the Reds would kill for.
    The good ones make it look easy. But if it was easy, everyone would do it.

There are days when I wish I was born in Missouri (did I say that out loud? )
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I think culture has something to do with it, making it impossible to quantify. The Steelers have it, too. The Steelers aren't always Super Bowl contenders, but they're pretty much always at least good.

I wish I could say they had some magic formula that no one else knew about or was doing. But you do have to account some of their success to luck.

They'd be a much different looking team today if Pujols had taken that outlandish contract offer to stay home. I'm sure there was a huge collective sigh from Mozeliak and DeWitt, when he spurned them for more money.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Turn Off Ads?