Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad Men Finale Live Thread *Spoilers* Probably

Mad Men Finale Live Thread *Spoilers* Probably

Anybody want to do this? Spoilers, obviously.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mad Men Finale Live Thread *Spoilers* Probably

A resounding: NOPE!

Ha! Brett Gelman.

Never watched the show, but spread the spoilers, spoilers are awesome
    Go Gators!

Well, if you already know Brett Gelman makes an appearance in the finale, why bother watching any of them? Most dead giveaway ever.

The Coke ad ending was a nice touch, as it means that vintage Don Draper did return and finally 'accomplish something' as he put it to Peggy, but the ending with wrapping up character arcs with a vignette felt like the actual arcs themselves were rushed. I don't like that Draper spent the last three episodes never having an in-person scene with any of the SCP/D crew. Oh, and I think the Stan-Peggy conclusion is flat awful. Does not feel authentic whatsoever. I honestly felt taking the offer from Joan would have been the perfect choice for Peggy's character given how she felt so marginalized in the industry.

There were parts to the finale that I liked, but I'm on the side of being a little underwhelmed.
    Last edited by Brutus; 05-18-2015 at 02:24 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

My biggest complaint is that I did not think the Stephanie character needed to be revisited and certainly not in the finale. I guess it was a way to get Don to the Coke ad but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    My biggest complaint is that I did not think the Stephanie character needed to be revisited and certainly not in the finale. I guess it was a way to get Don to the Coke ad but still.
    I had to go check during a commercial to remember exactly who she was, although I knew from her calling him "Dick" that she was tied in with the actual Don Draper's family. Perhaps it was Don's chance to go back to the one place where folks knew who he really was and were fine with his actions. Ultimately, that's what Anna Draper provided him in the story arc, I think. Perhaps Stephanie was an extension of that. She pretty much never bought his line, don't you think?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    It was important because when she left the commune, it was the last link to Don's past life as Dick Whitman. I think the best scene was January Jones and Hamm on the phone followed by the phone call with Peggy.

I liked the ending and the show further strengthen my interest in the 60s.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 05-18-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

11. Likes:

Brutus (05-19-2015),Kingspoint (05-18-2015)

Peggy and Stan felt earned, to me. They had the history, and their relationship was especially built up recently.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13. Likes:

Razor Shines (05-18-2015),redsmetz (05-19-2015)

I think Weiner always knew he'd end it with the Coke ad, and pretty much reverse engineered it from that conclusion.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Peggy and Stan felt earned, to me. They had the history, and their relationship was especially built up recently.
    Their friendship was built up, but Stan coming out and saying he loves her (which was believable) and Peggy, on the spot, talks herself into realizing she loves him too? Corny and not at all believable.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I didn't dislike the Peggy/Stan stuff, but that was the weakest part of the episode, in my opinion.

Overall, I liked it a lot. I like that Don had, for once, successfully experienced something and translated that experience into an idea for an ad. His story arc culminated in him being a integrated person, rather than the compartmentalized life he had been living. He showed his kids where he really grew up, he told those veterans what really happened in Korea, etc. Throughout the show, all he had done was pitch false experiences, or what he thought other people experienced. The only other time he tried to use his own experience (the ***** house/Hershey idea) it failed miserably. This time he experienced transcendence and he was able to use it to create a successful ad.

17. Likes:

vaticanplum (05-20-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Their friendship was built up, but Stan coming out and saying he loves her (which was believable) and Peggy, on the spot, talks herself into realizing she loves him too? Corny and not at all believable.
    That was extremely true to Peggy, a character who has always had awkward interpersonal skills, is a little prickly, doesn't always know herself, etc.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

redsmetz (05-20-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    That was extremely true to Peggy, a character who has always had awkward interpersonal skills, is a little prickly, doesn't always know herself, etc.
    Nevermind that it's not believable anyone would just suddenly talk themselves into realizing they love someone on cue like that; that's not Peggy at all. The entire series, Peggy was someone who knows what she wanted and wanted to be taken seriously. An 'oh golly gee, I think I love you too' reaction to Stan loving her was not remotely in character. Heck, just earlier in the phone call, Stan noted she had to get over her affection for Don -- which is something that HAD been displayed for several seasons.

That kind of thing was not believable. It's a fairy tale. Not the kind of sincere reaction you see in real life. People know how they feel about others even if it's not always communicated. For a show built on authenticity, that scene utterly lacked it.

Turn Off Ads?