Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Soccer in Cincinnati

Re: Soccer in Cincinnati

I am exited that it is potentially something inexpensive that I could take my girls down to. I don't think the level or play or the quality of play will be something that entertains me to a great deal. If it is a nice sunny day I think it would be a fun family event. Other than that, I can't say I am too excited.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Although Nippert Stadium is only 3 miles from downtown, why did they not obtain Paul Brown Stadium? I would think it would be good for downtown action etc. Although their games could collide with the Reds schedule. (I have not read the entire thread so this topic could have been mentioned. If so, sorry.)

They could have tarped over the upper bowl like this to cover the empty seats.

It kills the atmosphere which is pretty important to the soccer experience. Having 10k fans in a 60k seat stadium is terrible.

4. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (02-17-2016)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

And I'm sure it would be obscenely expensive to rent, relative to the other options.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It kills the atmosphere which is pretty important to the soccer experience. Having 10k fans in a 60k seat stadium is terrible.
    This.

As it is, they're going to be tarping off quite a few seats Nippert. Even if the team is wildly successful (crowds in the 9-10K range), they'll still be at only 25% capacity. Nippert is a cozy 40K, so it probably won't feel TOO empty, but it's still a major atmosphere killer when the cheers echo through a mostly-empty building.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am exited that it is potentially something inexpensive that I could take my girls down to. I don't think the level or play or the quality of play will be something that entertains me to a great deal. If it is a nice sunny day I think it would be a fun family event. Other than that, I can't say I am too excited.
    You certainly aren't going to see Messi or Eden Hazard walking onto the field, but the quality of play isn't going to be TOO terrible. It'll still be an order of magnitude better than your average college match, and D1 college soccer is extremely watchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You certainly aren't going to see Messi or Eden Hazard walking onto the field, but the quality of play isn't going to be TOO terrible. It'll still be an order of magnitude better than your average college match, and D1 college soccer is extremely watchable.
    Agreed. I've gone to a couple LA Galaxy II games and enjoyed it. There are more heavy first touches and the speed and vision are a little slower, but the games are usually very wide open and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    These games can be very exciting. We don't have a USL team in Northeast Ohio, but we do have the University of Akron Zip, who consistently go deep in the NCAA tournament and get a number of players drafted by MLS teams. I've gone to at least 1 game a year for the past 5 years and they are always great, both with the play on the field and the atmosphere. USL (and NASL for that matter) is a step up above that.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This.

As it is, they're going to be tarping off quite a few seats Nippert. Even if the team is wildly successful (crowds in the 9-10K range), they'll still be at only 25% capacity. Nippert is a cozy 40K, so it probably won't feel TOO empty, but it's still a major atmosphere killer when the cheers echo through a mostly-empty building.
    There could also be the issue of whether PBS is designed to support a wide enough pitch for soccer. Most NFL stadia have been designed to enhance the crowd experience for NFL football, which means bringing the fans in as close to the field as possible. The standard NFL field is much narrower than your ideal soccer pitch, which means that if the stadium wasn't built with a thought toward soccer, you're shoehorning a soccer pitch into a smaller area, which means less room for wide open play and a tendency to for teams to bunker and counter because the speedy outside fullbacks and wing players don't have space to run to.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

A nice start to the preseason with Cincinnati coming back from 2 down to earn a 2-2 draw against Reykjavik. First goal was scored by a Xavier alum and they equalized in the 89th showing some great character. Perhaps more importantly, Molly Malone's and Rhinehaus were both full of people watching the match.

When all is said and done more is said than done.

13. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (03-26-2016),Yachtzee (03-25-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That's awesome that they're getting games on local TV. I'd be interested to see how many USL teams, or even NASL teams have a local broadcast TV deal.

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-28-2016)

A lot of buzz surrounding this team the last few days, at least in my corner of downtown.

Season kicks off tomorrow -- apparently the two main supporters groups are hosting watch parties, one at Molly Malone's in NKY and another at Rhinehaus in OTR. Definitely going to check that out.

17. Likes:

Yachtzee (03-26-2016)

FC Cincinnati... Cursed right from the ****ing beginning.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

19. Likes:

reds1869 (03-26-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    FC Cincinnati... Cursed right from the ****ing beginning.
    That was a tough way to lose. They looked pretty darn good, though.

Yeah, I thought they controlled the game and lost somewhat against the run of play. I'm excited to see how they build from here. Can't wait for the first home match in April.

Turn Off Ads?