Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

The day is finally here!

My official wish list for the three Reds selections that will happen tonight:

Round 1 - Pick 11 (assuming Swanson, Rodgers and Bregman are off the board)

1. Andrew Benintendi OF Arkansas
    2. Kyle Tucker OF HS
    3. Daz Cameron OF HS
    4. Tyler Stephenson C HS
    5. Trenton Clark OF HS

Round 2 - Pick 49

1. Brady Aiken LHP IMG
    2. Mike Matuella RHP Duke
    3. Phil Bickford RHP JC
    4. DJ Stewart OF Florida State
    5. Cornelius Randolph SS HS
    * Garrett Whitley OF HS / Ian Happ OF Cincinnati / Kevin Newman SS Arizona (three guys that won't last this long, but would be nice)

Round 2 Comp B - 71

1. Justin Hooper LHP HS
    2. Beau Burrows RHP HS
    3. Jacob Nix RHP IMG
    4. Alonzo Jones SS/3B HS
    5. Kyle Holder SS San Diego
    6. Jalen Miller SS HS
    7. Blake Trahan SS Louisiana-Lafayette
    8. Nick Shumpert SS HS
    9. Skye Bolt OF UNC
    10. Mac Marshall LHP JC

While I'd love to see the Reds take the aforementioned guys, my prediction for #11 is the Reds actually take Ian Happ or Kevin Newman, two middle-of-the-diamond college bats without a standout tool that performed very well in the Cape Cod League last summer - fits Buckley's profile perfectly.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

redsmetz (06-08-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

Put me down for one helping (Rd 1) of Trenton Clark please. With a side order of Josh Naylor (Rd 2).

A college SS who can hit. Is that even a thing? Any chance a player with that profile makes it out of the top 10?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

I've been waiting and waiting for this draft because later this summer, my wife and I are taking in a game in Great Falls, Montana to see the Billings club play. Should be towards the end of their season.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-08-2015),RedlegJake (06-08-2015),texasdave (06-08-2015),Tom Servo (06-08-2015)

My want to see with Pensacola is Cameron, Stewart, and Trahan.

I wouldnt mind the Braves grabbing the guys either.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

If, and it's a big if, the medicals are clear, I'd pick Brady Aiken in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If, and it's a big if, the medicals are clear, I'd pick Brady Aiken in the first round.
    I feel this way too. I also wouldn't object if they took a flyer on Allard. I'd to see them try to develop a premium LHP prospect. But I don't think it'll happen.

Others I'd be excited about: Benintendi (best Cincy-bred prospect in a long time), Clark, Tucker, Whitley, Stephenson

I'm real curious to see if a college pitcher drops to them (Fulmer, Tate perhaps) -- would the Reds take him?

Benetendi and Happ are my Top 2 picks. Then Stephenson and Tucker. If we grab Benetendi or Happ at 11, I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Benetendi and Happ are my Top 2 picks. Then Stephenson and Tucker. If we grab Benetendi or Happ at 11, I will be happy.
    I feel the same way. Local products who fill a major need. Both have good ceilings with high floors. The Reds should skip the lottery ticket pick in Round 1 and go for the best college bat still available. That said, Happ is a bit of a reach in Round 1. Maybe he drops to the supplemental pick.

Unless you really feel that a local product would perform better if he were drafted by "his home team", where a player is from (in regards to his hometown) should not play a part in the decision. Maybe when it is all said and done it's a feel-good story...but draft your top guy, regardless of where he is from, and let the chips fall as they may.

/I don't know if anyone truly prefers BenTen because he's local...but I keep seeing his hometown referenced.

If an OF or stud pitcher isn't available, I'd love to see them go after a 2B with a decent bat that will stick at the position. We are really lacking legitimate 2B depth right now.

If 2 guys are roughly equal in projection, I'd be inclined to the hometown/area kid. I wouldn't add anything to a guy's grade just because he's local, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    If an OF or stud pitcher isn't available, I'd love to see them go after a 2B with a decent bat that will stick at the position. We are really lacking legitimate 2B depth right now.
    Really, the Reds have no prospect depth at any position (except pitching). Maybe 1 legitimate guy at any position, sometimes not even that. Sometimes a yeah well maybe guy - just get the best available hitter unless a pitcher who just can't be ignored is there.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 06-08-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2015),OGB (06-09-2015),Tom Servo (06-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If 2 guys are roughly equal in projection, I'd be inclined to the hometown/area kid. I wouldn't add anything to a guy's grade just because he's local, though.
    If they are so close in a blind "projection" that local is the tie-breaker, I couldn't fault a team for picking the hometown guy. But I would hope a decision between 2 guys would be made before you get to that point. It's probably just human nature that the hometown guy's projection gets subconsicously "inflated" anyway, perhaps by just a small amount...just my guess.

If they are so close in a blind "projection" that local is the tie-breaker, I couldn't fault a team for picking the hometown guy. But I would hope a decision between 2 guys would be made before you get to that point. It's probably just human nature that the hometown guy's projection gets subconsicously "inflated" anyway, perhaps by just a small amount...just my guess.
    I would agree with that Kal.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Unless you really feel that a local product would perform better if he were drafted by "his home team", where a player is from (in regards to his hometown) should not play a part in the decision. Maybe when it is all said and done it's a feel-good story...but draft your top guy, regardless of where he is from, and let the chips fall as they may.

/I don't know if anyone truly prefers BenTen because he's local...but I keep seeing his hometown referenced.
    For me the hometown thing mostly just factors in because it means the Reds should know the players skills and deficiencies better than anybody, especially in the case of Benintendi since they drafted him in 2013.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?