Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

Re: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

I want the Reds to draft Benintendi, but think they will draft Jon Harris.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Assuming Swanson, Rodgers, and Bregman are gone, if the Reds draft one of Benintendi, Cameron, Tucker, Fulmer, Jay, or Tate, I'll be very pleased. Tyler Stephenson wouldn't be a bad pick either but I prefer the others over him. Hopefully they can better in the second round this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For me the hometown thing mostly just factors in because it means the Reds should know the players skills and deficiencies better than anybody, especially in the case of Benintendi since they drafted him in 2013.
    That's very true. If being local gives you more info on a guy and allows you to make a more informed choice, not using that information would be silly, whether it be good or bad info.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...5-version-5-1/

Big changes projected over at BA.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    If that's true, Benintendi will be the second consecutive local product to skyrocket all the way into the top 5 (Kyle Schwarber last year). If Benintendi has anywhere near the results of Schwarber, I really hope he falls to the Reds.

Separately, it's really amazing how bad the Reds have been in the 2nd round in the last five years (LaMarre, Rosa, Rahier, Franklin, Sparks). Granted there has been a fair bit of success in the first round, but that's an astonishingly bad track record - not a single major league game played (and none on the horizon) out of a second round pick in five years. Outside of LaMarre, it wouldn't be a shock if no one even makes it to AAA. Let's hope they buck the trend tonight.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2015),lollipopcurve (06-08-2015),M2 (06-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If that's true, Benintendi will be the second consecutive local product to skyrocket all the way into the top 5 (Kyle Schwarber last year). If Benintendi has anywhere near the results of Schwarber, I really hope he falls to the Reds.

Separately, it's really amazing how bad the Reds have been in the 2nd round in the last five years (LaMarre, Rosa, Rahier, Franklin, Sparks). Granted there has been a fair bit of success in the first round, but that's an astonishingly bad track record - not a single major league game played (and none on the horizon) out of a second round pick in five years. Outside of LaMarre, it wouldn't be a shock if no one even makes it to AAA. Let's hope they buck the trend tonight.
    I still think Taylor Sparks was a solid pick. But you're right, Buckley has been craptastic for the most part in the second round.

Yeah, the 2nd round picks have left me scratching my head the past couple years. Outside of Rosa. He looked pretty darn good from video/scouting reports.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Others I'd be excited about: Benintendi (best Cincy-bred prospect in a long time), Clark, Tucker, Whitley, Stephenson
    That's the crew I'm eyeballing. Add in Cameron if he drops out of the top 10. I really want a stud OF and this looks like the draft to get one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-08-2015)

While we all like the HS bats in this draft, interesting to note that Buckley has only drafted a high school hitter once in the first round (Mesoraco '07).

He's taken a hitter in the top 12 three times - Drew Stubbs in '06, Yonder Alonso '08 and Yaz Grandal in '10.

Another trend I hope he bucks tonight (assuming Benintendi isn't there). No pun intended.
    Go BLUE!!!

And they've been great with sandwich picks and 3rd rounders. The round 2 hole is a bit baffling. I've got my fingers crossed for Holder. Premium SS defense, contact LH bat with gap power. The Reds desperately need a serious SS prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I still think Taylor Sparks was a solid pick.
    I'm not sure Sparks agrees. That kid has been a mess this season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

New conspiracy theory:

With BA now calling Benintendi to the Astros, could it be Luhnow is greasing the skids for a July trade with the Reds? Maybe even with the Reds' tacit knowledge? Both the Red Sox and the Cubs have been linked to Benintendi, and both pick before the Reds, so it would be a way for the Reds to ensure they get their guy, if Benintendi is their guy.

Picks can be dealt the day after the World Series now, so the Reds would be getting their hands on Benintendi after only a couple months.

Plus, we have been hearing the Astros linked to Cueto.

Astros like doing unconventional stuff with the draft, so maybe, right?

15. Likes:

Gallen5862 (06-08-2015),REDREAD (06-08-2015),Tom Servo (06-08-2015)

One thing to add, and I may jinx it now, but when was the last time the Reds 1st round pick was a guy that was really on our radar? Granted they have been lower picks, but still...

While we all like the HS bats in this draft, interesting to note that Buckley has only drafted a high school hitter once in the first round (Mesoraco '07).

He's taken a hitter in the top 12 three times - Drew Stubbs in '06, Yonder Alonso '08 and Yaz Grandal in '10.

Another trend I hope he bucks tonight (assuming Benintendi isn't there). No pun intended.
    When you have the eleventh pick, the selection is often ready made. That is, you're at a spot where you are looking for a premium talent to drop to you, maybe drop from an expected 5-6 to 11.

So tonight, I think it should strictly be a quality pick and the best value may be fairly obvious. Hopefully the Reds pick the right guy.

Kiley McDaniel has Dax Cameron going 37th to Houston...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    New conspiracy theory:

With BA now calling Benintendi to the Astros, could it be Luhnow is greasing the skids for a July trade with the Reds? Maybe even with the Reds' tacit knowledge? Both the Red Sox and the Cubs have been linked to Benintendi, and both pick before the Reds, so it would be a way for the Reds to ensure they get their guy, if Benintendi is their guy.

Picks can be dealt the day after the World Series now, so the Reds would be getting their hands on Benintendi after only a couple months.

Plus, we have been hearing the Astros linked to Cueto.

Astros like doing unconventional stuff with the draft, so maybe, right?
    You're drunk.

You're so drunk that I love the idea. 99.9% sure it's not going to happen, but I love it.

20. Likes:

cincyinco (06-08-2015),kaldaniels (06-08-2015),RedTeamGo! (06-08-2015)

Turn Off Ads?