Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

Re: 2015 Draft Day 1 - Official Thread

I don't think the Santillan pick has anything to do with economics. That pick is a roll of the dice on upside. Just exactly the way you should pick in a weak draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Say they sign cheap, what's your level of confidence the Reds will actually turn around and spend that money?
    Other than Amir Garrett, I don't remember the Reds spending big money on high upside picks in lower rounds recently. Maybe I'm missing someone.

Say they sign cheap, what's your level of confidence the Reds will actually turn around and spend that money?
    Pretty high.. Historically, they have tried to spend that money.
    Last year, they offered 500k to a late round pick that indicated to the press that he wanted to sign, and I Think he even said that was the amount he wanted, but he went to college.. They've signed a few other guys like that too.
    Maybe they don't always fully exhaust their draft pool, but they do draft guys after round 10 that are asking more than the cap of 100k (I think that is the cap)
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

nmculbreth (06-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Other than Amir Garrett, I don't remember the Reds spending big money on high upside picks in lower rounds recently. Maybe I'm missing someone.
    Last year, they signed two guys after the 10th round above slot, according to the thread.
    On the thread, all the other guys that signed after the 10th round didn't have their bonus published, so I don't know.

11.335 - Mitch Trees C Mitch Sacred Heart Griffin HS (IL) BA Ranking #430 Slot Value $100,000 SB $300,000
    12.365 - Montrell Marshall 3B South Gwinnett HS lot Value $100,000 SB $225,000
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Not great. But sure would be awesome if they went and grabbed and Everett/Hooper outside the top 10 and threw some money at em..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Pretty high. I'm not sure they're going to be able to throw $1 - $2 mil at anyone, but a few having $500k to throw at a couple late round picks is never a bad plan.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (06-10-2015)

Turn Off Ads?