Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Santillian

Re: Antonio Santillian

The questions in the previous post could be asked about every teenaged pitcher.

Santillan somehow gets penalized because he throws pitches with high velocity.

We've seen it in some of the discussion on the kid on RedsZone. There's an assumption sometime that he is a talent with no real understanding of how to pitch.

He's a 19 year old pitcher. There are undoubtedly rough spots. We heard he originally had issues with mechanics. But he's just as likely to learn the fine points as the next guy -- and he has high end talent to boot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-24-2016 at 12:42 AM.

2. Likes:

OGB (06-25-2016),Old school 1983 (06-24-2016),REDREAD (06-24-2016),SoTxRedsFan (06-24-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Loved the pick at the time, continue to do so. He is the definition of upside.

5. Likes:

Benihana (06-24-2016),Old school 1983 (06-24-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The questions in the previous post could be asked about every teenaged pitcher.

Santillan somehow gets penalized because he throws pitches with high velocity.

We've seen it in some of the discussion on the kid on RedsZone. There's an assumption sometime that he is a talent with no real understanding of how to pitch.

He's a 19 year old pitcher. There are undoubtedly rough spots. We heard he originally had issues with mechanics. But he's just as likely to learn the fine points as the next guy -- and he has high end talent to boot.
    Those and similar questions get asked about every minor leaguer. It's just part of their overall development as baseball players. I didn't mean to imply that they applied just to Santillan. My point was that there is so much we don't see or know about a player's performance that will ultimately make or break that player having a successful major league career. Looking at velocity and strikeouts is nice, and I love, love, love that Santillan seems to be getting it together. I just am advocating that there is so much more we don't know right now and have to wait and see how his overall development shapes up.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Kc61 (06-24-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Those and similar questions get asked about every minor leaguer. It's just part of their overall development as baseball players. I didn't mean to imply that they applied just to Santillan. My point was that there is so much we don't see or know about a player's performance that will ultimately make or break that player having a successful major league career. Looking at velocity and strikeouts is nice, and I love, love, love that Santillan seems to be getting it together. I just am advocating that there is so much more we don't know right now and have to wait and see how his overall development shapes up.
    We'll have about a 30% answer after this season of Rookie Ball. Currently he is dominating players the majority of whom were playing Division 1 college baseball. When he moves to Dayton next year, and he is still dominating batters then the drum beats will get a lot louder.

Also once we get a good scouting report not newspaper articles but several different scouts who have seen him and offer opinions we will know a lot more.

What we do know currently he has a 60 to 70 grade fastball which sits 94-95 and is followed by a slider which shows to be a plus pitch at times. During the next two years he should add a little more velocity to the fastball as he grows and is in the strength and conditioning program longer. His fastball in 2 years may be 95 to 97. His slider should improve also as he gets more reps on it. He needs a 3rd pitch in order to really take a big step forward as a prospect, if he adds a average change up then he is a real legit guy.

AA by 22 should be his goal. MLB by 24.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-24-2016),REDREAD (06-24-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    We'll have about a 30% answer after this season of Rookie Ball. Currently he is dominating players the majority of whom were playing Division 1 college baseball. When he moves to Dayton next year, and he is still dominating batters then the drum beats will get a lot louder.

Also once we get a good scouting report not newspaper articles but several different scouts who have seen him and offer opinions we will know a lot more.

What we do know currently he has a 60 to 70 grade fastball which sits 94-95 and is followed by a slider which shows to be a plus pitch at times. During the next two years he should add a little more velocity to the fastball as he grows and is in the strength and conditioning program longer. His fastball in 2 years may be 95 to 97. His slider should improve also as he gets more reps on it. He needs a 3rd pitch in order to really take a big step forward as a prospect, if he adds a average change up then he is a real legit guy.

AA by 22 should be his goal. MLB by 24.
    Agreed. I'm excited to have the guy in the Reds system. Even if he doesn't add a change, a fastball/slider combo like that just screams future closer. Hopefully it all comes together and he gets on the fast track as a starter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

REDREAD (06-24-2016)

WrongVerb,

He has alot of time to add the change. Reds are being delicate with his pitch/Innings count this year. He is limited to 75 per game. I imagine at Dayton next year they will limit him to 125 to 140 innings. Then add 25 per year after that.

One of the things I am really anxious to see is what he looks like in two years from a strength conditioning standpoint. A lot of pitchers add some speed to their fastball between 18 to 21. Mahle is a good example of this it looks like he added about 2 mph to his fastball due to strength and conditioning.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (06-24-2016),SoTxRedsFan (06-24-2016)

WrongVerb,

He has alot of time to add the change. Reds are being delicate with his pitch/Innings count this year. He is limited to 75 per game. I imagine at Dayton next year they will limit him to 125 to 140 innings. Then add 25 per year after that.

One of the things I am really anxious to see is what he looks like in two years from a strength conditioning standpoint. A lot of pitchers add some speed to their fastball between 18 to 21. Mahle is a good example of this it looks like he added about 2 mph to his fastball due to strength and conditioning.
    What are you thoughts on him getting his feet wet at Dayton at the end of this season? Maybe 2-3 limited starts?

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

WrongVerb,

This is the big one for me. The difference in body style is pretty significant after only a year in a pro conditioning program.

16. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-24-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    What are you thoughts on him getting his feet wet at Dayton at the end of this season? Maybe 2-3 limited starts?
    The Reds have done that over the course of the past few years at least.

I expect it'll happen, assuming Santillan continues to progress over the course of the season.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

WrongVerb,

He has alot of time to add the change. Reds are being delicate with his pitch/Innings count this year. He is limited to 75 per game.
    This isn't entirely accurate. He's at about 85 right now. They won't let him get to 100, for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were bumped up to 90 at some point later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This isn't entirely accurate. He's at about 85 right now. They won't let him get to 100, for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were bumped up to 90 at some point later in the year.
    Doug, my bad thought it was 75 off the top of my head.

Doug, ? do you think he will add a slight uptick in velocity as he grows and gets in more strength and conditioning?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

First start it was 75. Last start it was 85.

And tough to say on the velo. Some guys add, some guys don't, some guys lose it. You never really know until you know - but generally speaking, when guys are already touching high 90's, it's tough to sit there and say with confidence that they are going to find more because they are already at that elite level.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    First start it was 75. Last start it was 85.

And tough to say on the velo. Some guys add, some guys don't, some guys lose it. You never really know until you know - but generally speaking, when guys are already touching high 90's, it's tough to sit there and say with confidence that they are going to find more because they are already at that elite level.
    Thanks for the quick answer.

Elite fastball=== me like...

70 grade?

Thanks for the quick answer.

Elite fastball=== me like...

70 grade?
    Depends on where he's touching and how often.

(Ewww, that sounds gross.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Depends on where he's touching and how often.

(Ewww, that sounds gross.)
    Name:  6vtbqn5.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  77.9 KB
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

24. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (06-24-2016),Tom Servo (06-24-2016)

Turn Off Ads?