Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Santillian

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Antonio Santillian

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Questions:

Hows the movement on his fastball?
    4-seamer or 2-seamer?
    Can he throw it consistently for strikes? (Rookie leaguers could be swinging at anything close)
    Can he throw it for balls? (For when he needs to pitch around someone but stay close to the zone)
    Can he throw it for strikes or balls without tipping the pitch type or location?
    Does he hold his velocity into the later innings?

And that's just the fastball. He's got other pitches as well to learn to throw consistently well. Sounds like he's put in a lot of work and it's paying off, but again rookie leagues are a far distance from the majors.

What about holding runners on?
    How's his move to first?
    How's his move to 2nd?
    Can he field his position well?
    What are his feet like while fielding a bunt?
    How does he handle come backers to the mound?
    Does he go to the correct spot to back up wherever the throw is coming from?
    Can he bunt?

All this is stuff we don't even consider when we see someone lighting up the radar gun. But we are well served to keep in mind that baseball at the highest level is really, really, really hard and a lot more goes into it than a fastball that sits 94 and touches 97. And that's just in rookie leagues. There's entire books that can be written on the subject of intra game strategy between the batter and pitcher that we lay fans don't have a clue about. That doesn't come until much later. But the margin for error is miniscule.

All that said, there's no reason to think Santillan can't learn all that stuff. Seems to have taken to the coaching concerning his mechanics, so no doubt he'll be working on those other things as well.
    All pretty, pretaaay, pretty good.

2. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (06-24-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-18-2016),BillDoran (06-28-2016),cincyinco (06-28-2016),Edd Roush (06-28-2016),Knightro28 (08-19-2016),marcshoe (08-18-2016),OGB (08-18-2016),OnBaseMachine (06-28-2016),RiverRat13 (06-28-2016),SoTxRedsFan (06-28-2016),Tuff Nut (06-28-2016),WrongVerb (06-28-2016)

He looks like a young Carlos Zambrano physically.

I don't care if it's only 13.1 innings, an 18.2 K/9 is unheard of at any level.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-28-2016),RiverRat13 (06-28-2016),Tom Servo (06-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

#buckleysecondrounder

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (06-28-2016),REDREAD (06-29-2016),SoTxRedsFan (06-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

*Aroldis Chapman exception

Alex Kraft ‏@Alex_Kraft21 10h10 hours ago
    Right now, #Reds prospect Anthony Santillan's 23 strikeouts since Aug. 6 are the most in the Minors in that span: http://atmilb.com/2aX882Q

"I really didn't change much, I just tried to stay within myself and keep doing what had been working all game," he said. "I just stuck with the gameplan that I had going into the game and just attacked them aggressively."

That strategy enabled Santillan to amass more strikeouts than in any of his previous three starts on the circuit and two fewer than the career high of 12 set on June 27 with Rookie-level Billings.

"Going into the game, I knew that the changeup would be huge if I could get it in the zone and get them to see it and swing at it," he said. "The changeup was very effective tonight to get a lot of swings and misses, and then I was able to use the fastball a lot better with them swinging and missing at changeups."
    The kid is a stud.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-18-2016),Edd Roush (08-18-2016),REDREAD (08-18-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Alex Kraft ‏@Alex_Kraft21 10h10 hours ago
    Right now, #Reds prospect Anthony Santillan's 23 strikeouts since Aug. 6 are the most in the Minors in that span: http://atmilb.com/2aX882Q

The kid is a stud.
    Love that he's not just up there throwing, but actually thinking about setting up hitters and such. Keeps doing that and he's going to be getting a cup of coffee in 2018. We'll see how he does in AA.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

REDREAD (08-18-2016)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=30155

Christopher Crawford of Baseball Prospectus named Santillan as Wednesday's Prospect of the Day and wrote this (this was free content):

The Reds took Santillian with the 49th pick of last year’s draft, and despite the high ERA in Dayton (6.41 coming into the game), he’s been very impressive. The fastball touches 98, and he complements that 70-grade heater with a hammer curve that flashes plus. He’s also shown some improvement with the change, and that pitch should be good enough to allow him to start when he’s ready. When exactly he’s ready will depend on when/if the command improves (drastically), but Santillan has the type of stuff to pitch in the middle of a rotation, or potentially dominate as a reliever.

16. Likes:

BillDoran (08-18-2016),OnBaseMachine (08-19-2016),REDREAD (08-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=30155

Christopher Crawford of Baseball Prospectus named Santillan as Wednesday's Prospect of the Day and wrote this (this was free content):
    The question I would ask this writer is the following -

If Santillan has the "type of stuff to pitch in the middle of a rotation" -- then exactly who at his age has the type of stuff to pitch at the top of a rotation?

With an emphasis on the word "stuff." Mid rotation stuff?

18. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-18-2016),Chuckie (08-19-2016),New Fever (08-18-2016),OGB (08-18-2016),Old school 1983 (08-18-2016),OnBaseMachine (08-19-2016),RED VAN HOT (08-18-2016),RedsfaninMT (08-18-2016),RiverRat13 (08-18-2016),Rojo (08-18-2016),SoTxRedsFan (08-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Love that he's not just up there throwing, but actually thinking about setting up hitters and such. Keeps doing that and he's going to be getting a cup of coffee in 2018. We'll see how he does in AA.
    I'm thrilled with his start and stats, but I don't see him coming up in 2018, even for a sip of coffee. If he starts in Daytona next year and pitches lights out, he might get a mid-year call to AA. I think he then needs at least a full year in AA before getting a call to Louisville. I'll be psyched if he keeps it up and makes it for a "cup of coffee" in 2019, when he would be all of 22 years of age.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (08-18-2016)

Just nice to have this kind of potential prospect deep in the pipeline.

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-18-2016),REDREAD (08-18-2016),RiverRat13 (08-18-2016),Tuff Nut (08-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    I'm thrilled with his start and stats, but I don't see him coming up in 2018, even for a sip of coffee. If he starts in Daytona next year and pitches lights out, he might get a mid-year call to AA. I think he then needs at least a full year in AA before getting a call to Louisville. I'll be psyched if he keeps it up and makes it for a "cup of coffee" in 2019, when he would be all of 22 years of age.
    I agree. No reason to rush him at all. As of now, there are a boatload of arms ahead of him, as those guys get expensive, he can take their place, and the other guys can be used to trade.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (08-18-2016),RiverRat13 (08-18-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    He's going to start in Dayton next year. The odds that he goes to Daytona are slim-and-none.

I know very little about baseball, but from reading his scouting report, it seems like he could be a little bit better than a ‘mid rotation’ level arm if everything clicks. Maybe they expect his command to only improve x amount which will lead to him being a #3/4 starter. However if he keeps improving as well as he has so far, it doesn’t seem like a stretch to call him a potential #2 starter with upside imo

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaReds View Post
    I know very little about baseball, but from reading his scouting report, it seems like he could be a little bit better than a ‘mid rotation’ level arm if everything clicks. Maybe they expect his command to only improve x amount which will lead to him being a #3/4 starter. However if he keeps improving as well as he has so far, it doesn’t seem like a stretch to call him a potential #2 starter with upside imo
    Agreed, but I think people focus too much on such things anyway.

28. Likes:

AlaskaReds (08-18-2016)

Turn Off Ads?