Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 6/13/15 - Reds @ Baby Bears

Re: 6/13/15 - Reds @ Baby Bears

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Hoover has been pretty much the same pitcher his whole career. In 2014, he was put into too many high leverage situations, and gave up homers in bunches. He's back in middle relief, and back to his old self. Price misused him, but now has figured out Hoover's role.

Cingrani was a solid middle rotation starter his rookie year, not inconsistent at all. Then last year and this year, his walk rate doubled. If you look at his heat maps on Fangraphs his location within the strikezone also got much worse. He was injured last year, but he's healthy this year.

He is striking guys out at the same rate, so it's not his stuff, or lack of a secondary pitch that's the issue. The league hasn't "figured him out" as he's still is getting the same number of swings and misses. But he clearly is a mess right now. It's very easy to see. He and Price had issues last year over his injury and Cingrani's lack of communication over it, and it seems to have carried over to this year.

A lot of Cingrani's problems are self created, but a good manager is able to work these things out with young players. I have not been impressed with Price's people skills so far, and this is one blaring example of it.
    So Hoover has always pretty much been the same pitcher except when he wasn't, got it.

This Cingrani narrative sounds pretty detailed, as if someone was having conversations with the people involved. I'm guessing that's not the case, so I'm taking the boatload of assumptions creating a narrative that could be complete fiction for what its worth.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cingrani's control has been poor. If you can't throw strikes out of the pen, you can't be a late inning reliever. Price seems to have the respect of the bulk of the pitchers. In pro sports the idea that you need to like your coaches is a fallacy. Most retired players say they liked about half of the mangers they played for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Price was the pitching coach, but Dusty was the boss. Dusty clearly had confidence in Cingrani and wanted him in the rotation. Price has never expressed similar confidence....
    I fail to see how a manager's "confidence" in a player can effect his performance....if such a phenomena proved effective, GMs would just hire cheerleaders as managers, who would then shower their entire roster with "confidence" and dominate all those "low-confidence" teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    I fail to see how a manager's "confidence" in a player can effect his performance....if such a phenomena proved effective, GMs would just hire cheerleaders as managers, who would then shower their entire roster with "confidence" and dominate all those "low-confidence" teams.
    That's pretty much what GM's do. Guys like Maddon, Cox, Alston, LaSorda, Herzog, Leyland, Pinella, Baker, Sparky, etc, aren't hired because of their strategic skills. There is very little difference between most managers when it comes to in game decisions.

Managers are hired to lead the team, to motivate the players, to keep the peace in the clubhouse. What makes the names I listed above winning managers, is not their strategic skills, but that their players will run through walls for them. They gain this by gaining the players respect. The players may not agree with every decision, but they respect and admire the manager, and will trust them, doing whatever they are role to do with full confidence.

The winning managers I listed above wouldn't let a situation like this Cingrani situation last. They would find a way to gain the players confidence, to get the player to play for him. When Herzog left the Cardinals in the early 1990's, he left because he said he couldn't get them to play for him anymore. He couldn't do his job anymore.

When a player won't play for a manager, one of them has to go. I really hope it's Price that goes before Cingrani, because Cingrani has some talent. He actually has a future.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

....There is very little difference between most managers when it comes to in game decisions. ...
    Then why is Bryan Price beat on daily here? Just as Dusty Baker was beat on daily. Every move Price makes, every lineup, every strategy, every decision is second-guessed and ripped on here. What you're saying is the real value in a manager is more motivational than managerial, which I agree with to a large degree. But you wouldn't know that from reading the posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    Then why is Bryan Price beat on daily here? Just as Dusty Baker was beat on daily. Every move Price makes, every lineup, every strategy, every decision is second-guessed and ripped on here. What you're saying is the real value in a manager is more motivational than managerial, which I agree with to a large degree. But you wouldn't know that from reading the posts here.
    Lol. Because game threads.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am highly irrational watching a Reds game, especially when they lose. I need to vent my anger at someone, even if it makes no sense. I usually regret half my posts I make after a Reds loss.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Lol. Because game threads.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am highly irrational watching a Reds game, especially when they lose. I need to vent my anger at someone, even if it makes no sense. I usually regret half my posts I make after a Reds loss.
    You, sir, are the rare species among sports message boards....the self aware man. I salute you.

Turn Off Ads?