Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones, Season 5 Finale

Game of Thrones, Season 5 Finale

Not sure whether there is already another thread on this show, but I would love to discuss...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game of Thrones, Season 5 Finale

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Not sure whether there is already another thread on this show, but I would love to discuss...
    Are you a book reader?
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Brienne had one job, to watch for the candle. And she couldn't even handle that. Way to go, Brienne.

It's good, but just so subpar to the books. Some of the producer's decisions are baffling. Part of what made the walk of shame so effective in the books was that it exposed Cersei's imperfections. Casting a perfect 10 body double negated that.

Snow's wolf is very agitated before he's murdered and he locks it up in his room. Should've been included.

The idea of grey worm and the servant girl ruling mereen is just retarded.

Stannis is supposed to be the greatest military mind in westeros but he marches his army to the gates of winterfell unaware that a massive army is heading towards him? He would've had scouts and outriders informing him of Bolton's position.

Ramsey's crazy side piece? Just a horribly written/conceived character.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    Are you a book reader?
    I read the first one, but since I had already seen the show I couldn't get into it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Brienne had one job, to watch for the candle. And she couldn't even handle that. Way to go, Brienne.
    She did manage to take care of Stannis tho.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    It's good, but just so subpar to the books. Some of the producer's decisions are baffling. Part of what made the walk of shame so effective in the books was that it exposed Cersei's imperfections. Casting a perfect 10 body double negated that.

Snow's wolf is very agitated before he's murdered and he locks it up in his room. Should've been included.

The idea of grey worm and the servant girl ruling mereen is just retarded.

Stannis is supposed to be the greatest military mind in westeros but he marches his army to the gates of winterfell unaware that a massive army is heading towards him? He would've had scouts and outriders informing him of Bolton's position.

Ramsey's crazy side piece? Just a horribly written/conceived character.
    Don't forget that Grey Worm and the girl will have Tyrion and Varys helping them. Hardly "retarded."

On the show at least, they provided Stannis with innumerable distractions to make his lack of preparation seem more credible.

I agree they should have accounted for Ghost when Snow was killed. Makes no sense that he would defend Sam and Gilly but not Jon.

What imperfections are you talking about for Cersei?

I thought Ramsey was supposed to be an equally nutty character in the books...?

Anyway, it is exactly this type of comparison that makes me uninterested in the books, especially since Martin is so directly involved with the HBO plotting.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.

She did manage to take care of Stannis tho.
    Even though he burned his daughter alive and was by all accounts a terrible guy, for whatever reason I was rooting for Stannis.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Even though he burned his daughter alive and was by all accounts a terrible guy, for whatever reason I was rooting for Stannis.
    Maybe because the Boltons are worse? This is why the show is brilliant though; it manages to get you to root for the strangest outcomes sometimes.

The whole thing with Arya just churned my stomach. One of the more graphic scenes in the whole run, I think.

I like Brienne, but I agree she missed the boat with Sansa. Still, I have to imagine that she, Sansa and Theon will meet next season somehow, right?
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-15-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Overall, I thought episode 5.9 was a stronger one than 5.10. Neither compared to last season's finale though -- Tyrion's revenge was great.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I haven't read the books, but I imagine Melisandre will magic the **** out of that last scene. She better. Jon Snow is my favorite character.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I haven't read the books, but I imagine Melisandre will magic the **** out of that last scene. She better. Jon Snow is my favorite character.
    Book 5 ended with a similar cliff hanger and hope/supposition.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Don't forget that Grey Worm and the girl will have Tyrion and Varys helping them. Hardly "retarded."

On the show at least, they provided Stannis with innumerable distractions to make his lack of preparation seem more credible.

I agree they should have accounted for Ghost when Snow was killed. Makes no sense that he would defend Sam and Gilly but not Jon.

What imperfections are you talking about for Cersei?

I thought Ramsey was supposed to be an equally nutty character in the books...?

Anyway, it is exactly this type of comparison that makes me uninterested in the books, especially since Martin is so directly involved with the HBO plotting.
    Remind me how Varys got to Mereen, unscathed and unquestioned? Oh and how did everyone get back to the great pyramid unharmed after they were seemingly outnumbered and surrounded by masked madmen killing slaves and citizens indiscriminately? And it's going to work because Varys and Tyrion handled it so perfectly in S2, when they were in a familiar city where Varys had a network of spies that had been established since well before the Mad King was slain and Tyrion at least had a little clout and fear because he was a Lannister. They have none of that going for them in Mereen.

They compltely assassinated Stannis' character after giving him that heartfelt moment with Shireen just episodes earlier. What was the point of that? What purpose did it serve if they were just going to make him look like a terrible person and buffoon, then kill him and his entire army off so soon after?

I hated that they boiled down Sam and Jon's last conversation to "you sly dog, did you hit that?"

He's talking about Myranda (or whatever her name was) a character they completely fabricated - similar to Olly.

Don't get me started on the Dorne storyline. It was beyond awful.

Again, there is a lot of disappointment from the stray from the books, I'll admit. But that's all dwarfed by the utter disaster that the writing was this season. They filtered out all of the careful context from the novels, rushed plot devices, made light of thousands of miles of distance for convenient character interactions (Littlefinger apparently owns the only jetpack in Westeros), and added several moments seemingly just for shock value including a lot of gratuitous violence to women. And Martin had almost no involvement with the writing this season in order to focus on Book 5. That has been quite apparent in the writing.
    -Rogers Hornsby

15. Likes:

WMR (06-15-2015)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    That was the prevailing fan theory after Dance with Dragons was written -- mostly because way too many fans had tied themselves up into knots trying to figure out Jon Snow's lineage and had decided that he was too important to just die off in such a manner.

But, Kit Harrington has been saying, flat-out, that he's been informed by the showrunners that his character is dead and that he won't be appearing any further in the show. I suppose he could be lying (or could have been lied to), but I think the simplest explanation to all this is that Jon Snow is dead and that George R.R. Martin has written all these books to be an extended snuff-film for the Stark children.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Dorne was awful in the books too, so they got that part right.

Cersei looked like a women who'd had children in the books, i.e. a loose stomach, some fat, etc. Part of the shame was the people of Kings Landing seeing she was no different or better than them in body. But HBO wasn't going to do that to Lena Headey or probably in general.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?