Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FINAL. FANTASY. SEVEN. (holy ....!!!!!!)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

FINAL. FANTASY. SEVEN. (holy ....!!!!!!)

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-19-2015),Caveat Emperor (06-17-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: FINAL. FANTASY. SEVEN. (holy ....!!!!!!)

I literally can't believe there have been a million FINAL Fantasy games.

HOW CAN THERE BE MORE THAN ONE FINAL FANTASY?! IT'S THE FINAL ONE!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

VI was better.

Still, I'm stoked about this. I'd been planning on finally replaying the game when the iOS port came out (it's one of the few FFs I don't have multiple replays of), but now I think I'll wait.

Plus, only a timed-exclusive to PS4. No need to buy a new system just to see this!
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-17-2015)

Kind of wish Square would just put all of their resources into actually releasing 15 and making sure it bucks the declining quality trend of the franchise. Oh well, this remake will likely be enjoyable when it's released in 2020.

Is it actually a remake or is it another port?

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Is it actually a remake or is it another port?
    Full remake. Looks like they're going with the look from Advent Children.

Resident PED Expert

I really wish they'd finish 15, even though it doesn't really pop to me. Even when the original trailer came out 5 or 6 years ago it didn't really sell me.

13 was good enough I played it twice. 13-2 was horrible and 13-3 was forced and poorly put together. 13-3's ending was just awful.

4 was the best. 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 were all enjoyable. Loved the Blitz Ball and the Monster arena in 10. Best side quests ever...

I assume when you say "Best Sidequests Ever" you're not including the whole "Dodge tons of lightning bolts for no reason whatsoever" to get the final Break-HP Limit weapon, correct?

I just recently replayed the iOS / DS remake of FF4 -- I'd forgotten how many characters willfully go to their death in that game (only, in many cases, to be seen alive later). I still think FF6 is the series benchmark -- best cast, best music, and a storyline where the bad guy actually succeeds in taking over the world. Can't beat it.

12. Likes:

nemesis (06-20-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Full remake. Looks like they're going with the look from Advent Children.
    Hopefully with better voice acting. The voice acting in Advent Children was awful, lifeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I assume when you say "Best Sidequests Ever" you're not including the whole "Dodge tons of lightning bolts for no reason whatsoever" to get the final Break-HP Limit weapon, correct?

I just recently replayed the iOS / DS remake of FF4 -- I'd forgotten how many characters willfully go to their death in that game (only, in many cases, to be seen alive later). I still think FF6 is the series benchmark -- best cast, best music, and a storyline where the bad guy actually succeeds in taking over the world. Can't beat it.
    I think it's close between 6 and 7. 6 probably has a better general plot, but 7 does a much better job of character development with Sephiroth than 6 does with Kefka. Also, nothing in 6 can compare to the scene in the City of the Ancients. I don't recall any other game where I actually wanted to kill the bad guy for reasons other than he was the arbitrary goal at the end of the game. A remake of 6 could probably take care of those deficiencies, but Square would have a long way to go. Lastly, the materia system was significantly better than the esper system, IMO. The esper system was a convoluted mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I think it's close between 6 and 7. 6 probably has a better general plot, but 7 does a much better job of character development with Sephiroth than 6 does with Kefka. Also, nothing in 6 can compare to the scene in the City of the Ancients. I don't recall any other game where I actually wanted to kill the bad guy for reasons other than he was the arbitrary goal at the end of the game. A remake of 6 could probably take care of those deficiencies, but Square would have a long way to go. Lastly, the materia system was significantly better than the esper system, IMO. The esper system was a convoluted mess.
    Eh -- I didn't like the materia system because it made all the characters play functionally identical, where the only distinguishing feature between characters was what materia you happened to have equipped at any given time. I liked the system in 4 & 6 better -- where everyone had character-based abilities that could then be augmented by esper powers. FWIW, it's also why I never really got into Final Fantasy V when the fan-translated ROM hit the interwebs back in the day either. Personal preference thing, though.

As far as story comparisons -- 7 benefited tremendously from the improved visual medium. I'm not going to say the City of Ancients would have any LESS of an impact in 16-bit sprites, but I think there are a number of scenes in 6 that would've had a ton more impact (Kefka poisoning the city of Doma / Cyan watching his wife & kid leave as spirits on the train, the Opera house scene, the factory that was basically a death camp for Espers, Kefka obliterating an entire town his new powers, etc.) if they'd have been rendered in 3D the first time you saw them.

Your opinion on those systems is a matter of personal taste, which I don't necessarily disagree with. Even so, the esper system was a convoluted mess. I personally liked IX's system the most.

One death is a tragedy. One million is a statistic. Players have no emotional investment in any of Kefka's victims, except maybe General Leo. But that investment pales in comparison to the investment in Aeris.

Turn Off Ads?