Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dick Van Patten

Dick Van Patten

We lost another one

Dick Van Patten, the genial, round-faced comic actor who appeared on Broadway as a child, starred on TV in its infancy and then, in middle age, found lasting fame as the patriarch on TV's "Eight is Enough," has died.

Van Patten died Tuesday in Santa Monica, California, of complications from diabetes, according to his publicist, Daniel Bernstein. He was 86.

Born in New York, the veteran entertainer began his career as a model and child actor, making his Broadway debut in 1935 at the age of seven, billed as "Dickie Van Patten." He would go on to appear in 27 other Broadway plays, including the comedy classic "Mister Roberts"...
    Here's one that not everyone knows:

An animal enthusiast, Van Patten co-founded Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods in 1989 as well as founding National Guide Dog Month which began in 2008 to raise awareness and money for nonprofit guide dog schools in the United States.

http://www.twcc.com/articles/2015/06...patten-is-dead

Where are those Eight is Enough reruns anyway? You'd think in this day and age of hundreds of cable tv channels that they'd be on somewhere

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Van Patten

RIP Dick Van Patten

Not to be mean but my cat hates his cat food Natural Balance. Will not touch it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

Dom Heffner (06-24-2015),westofyou (06-23-2015)

RIP King Roland

6. Likes:

Raisor (06-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    RIP Dick Van Patten

Not to be mean but my cat hates his cat food Natural Balance. Will not touch it.
    I didn't even know there was a cat food Natural Balance. Knowing my cats they wouldn't touch it either. They like junk food, you know, those treats that could in the little bags

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-24-2015),Dom Heffner (06-24-2015)

Big Dick Van Patten fan here. I own all five seasons of "Eight Is Enough" on DVD. I never thought he got his just due as one of the best patriarchs in TV history. He was perfectly cast for that show- he was equally adept at comedy or drama. He also seemed to genuinely care about his TV kids. I've read that he was the one who bailed Adam Rich (Nicholas) out of jail when he was going through some difficult times after the series.

More DVP trivia: Van Patten was a tennis enthusiast and had a son, Vincent, that briefly played on the ATP Tour in the 80's. He also released an odd DVD called "Dirty Tennis" how to try to get the upper hand, good naturedly, in your weekend tennis matches. The DVD featured Nicolette Sheridan and Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

I have a dog with a grain allergy so Natural Balance is all they get. Pet Peeps and Petco are the only places I know that carry it.

That's all I got.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in IL View Post
    Big Dick Van Patten fan here. I own all five seasons of "Eight Is Enough" on DVD. I never thought he got his just due as one of the best patriarchs in TV history. He was perfectly cast for that show- he was equally adept at comedy or drama. He also seemed to genuinely care about his TV kids. I've read that he was the one who bailed Adam Rich (Nicholas) out of jail when he was going through some difficult times after the series.

More DVP trivia: Van Patten was a tennis enthusiast and had a son, Vincent, that briefly played on the ATP Tour in the 80's. He also released an odd DVD called "Dirty Tennis" how to try to get the upper hand, good naturedly, in your weekend tennis matches. The DVD featured Nicolette Sheridan and Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.
    Ahh Vincent

Plus his sister Joyce was the field lady in the Bad News Bears and his stepbrother was Salami in The White Shadow.... talent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I didn't even know there was a cat food Natural Balance. Knowing my cats they wouldn't touch it either. They like junk food, you know, those treats that could in the little bags
    We try to feed our cat some of the better foods. Our last cat ate junk food and developed diabetes. We are trying not to go through that again. This cat we have now isn't that picky. She will usually eat what you put down for her. But turns her nose up at Natural Balance and won't touch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We try to feed our cat some of the better foods. Our last cat ate junk food and developed diabetes. We are trying not to go through that again. This cat we have now isn't that picky. She will usually eat what you put down for her. But turns her nose up at Natural Balance and won't touch it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ahh Vincent

Plus his sister Joyce was the field lady in the Bad News Bears and his stepbrother was Salami in The White Shadow.... talent!!
    Isnt that Billy Zabka in that Karate Kid clip?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh Vincent

Isnt that Billy Zabka in that Karate Kid clip?

My bad you're correct I mixed up my 80s guys

Shame on me!

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Shame on me!
    LOL...it happens to the best of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Shame on me!
    LOL...it happens to the best of us.

And Salami would go on to direct episodes of some of our greatest TV shows, including The Sopranos, The Wire, and of course the legendary Touched by an Angel.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Chip R (06-25-2015),westofyou (06-24-2015)

Turn Off Ads?