Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 NBA Season

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: 2015-16 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What do you figure the starting 5 is right now, Lillard/Henderson/Aminu/Davis/Plumlee?
    Regardless of who starts, not much from the perimeter with that front line. I'd start Leonard and Davis and bring Plumlee and Vonleh off the bench.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-02-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What do you figure the starting 5 is right now, Lillard/Henderson/Aminu/Davis/Plumlee?
    Olshey is doing an bang-up job piecing together the West's 10th best team.

What do you do when you can't land a max-level star? Spread that money around on a bunch of middling players.

Suppose we're a long way from the final roster, but really losing faith in the organization. Two summers ago, we had ample cap space to add the final pieces to an up-and-coming team. Olshey brought us Dorell Wright, Mo Williams and Robin Lopez. Last summer, albeit on a limited budget, he brought in washed-up dreck like Steve Blake and Chris Kaman. Starting to understand LaMarcus's frustration. Olshey seems so hell-bent on maintaining flexibility that he forgets to make concerted runs when the stars align. I understand the mentality, but, geez, we were a player or two off from being legitimate contenders the past two seasons. Then again, maybe it really is tough to entice big name free agents into moving to Oregon.

Getting really tired of the dented can shopping. Feels like the Reds circa-2004, when signing John Vanderwal was championed as a significant move.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-02-2015 at 05:15 PM.

A video came out last night where an Assistant Coach of the Blazers stated flat out that they knew LaMarcus wasn't coming back and that the team was going young as early as June 24th.

I can't see how the Asst Coach doesn't get fired within 24 hours. The Blazers' Office took the 4th of July weekend off beginning at 9:00 a.m. EST (noon here) today. Olshey is working with a limited staff from 9:00 am EST through Monday Morning.

Stotts has his work cut out for him.

It's going to be hard to figure out what the Blazers are going to do. The personnel we have do not fit Stott's style of Offense, nor do the parts seem to fit together.

My best guess is that there is still one $7-12M per year player that will be added to the roster, who will probably start at Center.

Davis should start at PF.
    Aminu will definitely start at SF.
    Lillard of course at PG.
    Henderson will start at SG.
    Leonard would help stretch the floor with this group and fit best in that manner at C, but Plumlee will probably start.

One thing for sure about Stotts, is that you never know what he's going to do.

Of the above players, the most likely players to be replaced as a Starter with another signing would be C and SG.

None of this matters much as there are probably half a dozen moves that need to be made before there's any semblance of a roster in place that can start working together and going after a playoff spot in the Western Conference.

We traded the 2016 1st Round pick to Denver (with Thomas Robinson and Wil Barton) for Afflalo, but the pick is Top-14 protected next season. Looks like the Blazers might get their 1st Round pick next year. Then Olshey tries to trade some of these players and the pick to move up in the draft for a better lottery pick.

--------------------------

That starters Lopez, Batum, Lillard and Matthews were a pretty lazy group. They were always near the last of the league in batted balls, steals, blocks and any other type of hustle stat. It wasn't until last year that they finally started guarding the 3-point shot (at which they were at the top of the league the first half of the season before injuries unraveled everything.)

In contrast, this new group of players should be in the top-five in the NBA in rebounds (the Sixers led the league in steals,...younger players hustling and all), as individually, they are all very good rebounders for their position. Because they have poor passers on average (and should be in the bottom five of the league as a result in both assists and assists-to-turnover ratio), they are going to also be in the bottom five in the league in FG-efficiency. They are going to then have to have more FG attempts to make up for it. Being great at rebounding will help that.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-02-2015 at 06:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

A team that's going to be fun to follow is the Bucks. I'm not entirely sure I understand what they're doing, but it's intriguing.

Tons of length and flexibility - MCW, Middleton, Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker, John Henson, Greivis Vasquez and now Greg Monroe. Not a true pivot in the mix, other than an aging Zaza Pachulia, but the versatility could really stifle offenses, particularly pick-and-roll-dependent teams.

Jason Kidd seems like a bit of a jerk, but I do think he can coach. Looks like a team that could make a run in the Eastern Conference.

Kidd looked like a dear in headlights in New York, but he did a great job in Milwaukee.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    A team that's going to be fun to follow is the Bucks. I'm not entirely sure I understand what they're doing, but it's intriguing.

Tons of length and flexibility - MCW, Middleton, Antetokounmpo, Jabari Parker, John Henson, Greivis Vasquez and now Greg Monroe. Not a true pivot in the mix, other than an aging Zaza Pachulia, but the versatility could really stifle offenses, particularly pick-and-roll-dependent teams.

Jason Kidd seems like a bit of a jerk, but I do think he can coach. Looks like a team that could make a run in the Eastern Conference.
    Rashad Vaughn and Damien Inglis, who missed last season, are also intriguing new pieces. Between Vaughn and R.J Hunter, it will be interesting to see which one, ultimately, is the better player.

Dudley was dealt today to Washington and, according to the grapevine, Mayo and Miles Plumlee may be headed to Indy for Hibbert, unless a sign-and-trade for Hibbert is executed by Dallas involving Monte Ellis -- who turned down a higher offer from the Kings to sign with the Pacers -- which would only occur if the Mavs strike out with DeAndre Jordan.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The Trailblazers produced a slew of uber-millionaires...

Lillard…$25M/season (Blazers)
    Matthews…$16M/season (Mavericks)
    Batum…$20M/season (likely his new contract next summer) (Spurs?)
    Lopez…$13M/season (Knicks)
    Aldridge…$20M/season (soon to be $30M) (Spurs, most likely)

It’s just too bad we couldn’t have had one more season with everyone before they cashed in.

At $94M for a starting lineup of a fringe contender...

They want a championship team and as much as we flirted with the idea. We are not getting that with the line-up above.

PA: If we keep this core and I’ll pay a minimum of 30M in tax after the championship. What are our chances of winning a title?
    NO: around 5%, rounded off
    PA: Just Bolt it, I want a contender
    NO: It will take another rebuild of 5 years or a Retool of 3 years
    PA: I can’t take another 5 years
    NO: Ok, I’ll do my best
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-03-2015 at 01:37 AM.

Not sure more than a handful of us regularly check this thread, but I was curious to know who others thought the best GM (or whatever position the primary basketball operations guy takes) was in the NBA, the one they'd most like to see running their favorite franchise. I realize it's a highly contested business, but all the roster shuffling this time of year really makes me wonder what kind of of plans, if any, these guys have. Often feels very scattershot, save a group of teams' consistency.

Lots of contenders, I would think, but also brings to question whose actually running the show for each team.

Let's just begin with the assumption the Billy King is everyone's first choice, and commence with selecting a second favorite.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 07-03-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Anything Jerry West touches turns to gold.

What the Spurs accomplish with Pops has to be next.

I was shocked when Ownership got rid of Hollins n Memphis, but what they are doing works.

It took years to move on from Sprewell, but Golden State made a great hiring in Kerr, while also making a great decisio in dumping Jackson. They put pieces in place over the last few years to set this up.

Three years from now Philly may be in this conversation.

Houston has put together some very good trades keeping them in contender status, while OKC has been very good, except for hanging onto Brooks too long and running into injuries.

Portland is injury-plagued making it difficult to judge them, but the jailblazer days are long past. Their retooling will be swift.

Milwaukee, Washington and Toronto have all put together good years in difficult cities to build in.

Atlanta has the worst fanbase i the NBA over the last 20 years, yet they've built a contender through patience.

1. Pat Riley
    He's built three championship-level teams with four distinct styles. (Yes, the Lakers were his. At least in part.) Who else has done that?

2. Pops/ RC Buford
    Continuity has its place. Helps to have players willing to play for serious discounts.

3. Jerry West
    As noted previously.

4. Larry Bird
    Always seems to make moves that work out. On the cheap. I can't imagine what he could do with a larger budget.

I figured the Spurs braintrust would rate near the top. Hard to argue with the run they've been on over the past 10-15 years.

The Warriors look to be built for the long haul. Not sure how much influence Jerry West has, but the front office installed by Joe Lacob, including GM Bob Myers, looks really good. Refusing to trade Klay Thompson for Kevin Love looks great in hindsight. (Everything looks great in hindsight after a championship, I suppose.)

Masai Ujiri got a lot of love while in Denver. I like what he's done in Toronto, but still a ways off from being a true contender.

The Kevin Pritchard/Larry Bird combo has had Indiana competitive for quite a while, until injuries and Roy Hibbert's disappearance cratered the team.

I really like Danny Ainge, personally. He seems to know when to strike. Piecing together Pierce/Garnett/Allen was impressive. With all the draft picks and pieces, it seems like they're on the verge of another big move or two in the near future. I think they got pretty decent return for a good not great player in Rondo who has an awful attitude.

The hard-core stat guys are fun to follow. Morey seems more flexible than Hinkie, but I appreciate the market inefficiency approach. For the publicity though, the Rockets haven't really been especially good (I know they made a nice run this year). Hinkie would drive me nuts. I sincerely appreciate his unwavering and thorough commitment to an approach, but man it's painful in the short-term.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-05-2015)

Dear Golden State:

Now you are the hunted.

We're coming for you.

Regards,

San Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Dear Golden State:

Now you are the hunted.

We're coming for you.

Regards,

San Antonio
    James: "I'll be back!"

Ranking the NBA West for the 2015-16 season:

1. San Antonio Spurs
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Oklahoma City Thunder
    4. Memphis Grizzlies
    5. Dallas Mavericks
    6. Houston Rockets
    7. New Orleans Pelicans
    8. Utah Jazz
    9. Phoenix Suns
    10. Los Angeles Clippers
    11. Portland Trailblazers
    12. Minnesota Timberwolves
    13. Denver Nuggets
    14. Sacramento Kings
    15. Los Angeles Lakers

You don't think the Clippers will make the playoffs?

Turn Off Ads?