Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 NBA Season

Re: 2015-16 NBA Season

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    You don't think the Clippers will make the playoffs?
    I do not. Utah is a much better team. New Orleans is a much better team. Phoenix is every bit as good, if not better. The Clippers have no Defense.

They'd make the playoffs in the East, no problem.

I think there's a big gap between #10 Clippers and #11 Trailblazers, though. I also think there's a big gap between #5 Mavericks and #6 Rockets.

If I had to group them, I'd go:

1. San Antonio Spurs
    2. Golden State Warriors
    3. Oklahoma City Thunder
    4. Memphis Grizzlies

5. Dallas Mavericks (injuries to Matthews and Parsons are the only thing keeping the Mavs from being in the top group, but come playoff time, I see them right there with the top-4.

6. Houston Rockets
    7. New Orleans Pelicans
    8. Utah Jazz

9. Phoenix Suns
    10. Los Angeles Clippers

11. Portland Trailblazers
    12. Minnesota Timberwolves
    13. Denver Nuggets

14. Sacramento Kings

15. Los Angeles Lakers (Lakers will struggle to see 15 wins)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

The East is still fluctuating some, and much more difficult to predict. Someone else can do that.

I'll go out on a limb and say...

1. Cleveland Cavaliers
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Good call on Utah, I think they are definitely a team on the upswing with a plethora of talented kids.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think it's easier to see the tiers in the West this year.

1. San Antonio Spurs
    Pretty obvious, at this point. Only question is Tony Parker. Is he done?

2. Golden State Warriors
    Good team-- have they improved enough to match San Antonio?

3. Houston Rockets
    A notch below the top two. Still, two superstars, two near All-Stars, and a healthy PG? Fewer questions than any team below them. Great bench allows for rest to everyone but Harden.

4. Oklahoma City Thunder
    Can Durant stay healthy? Can they play defense? They'll score. A lot.

5. Dallas Mavericks
    Nowitzki's a year older. There's no PG in a league where a good one is required. Jordan is overrated. Mathews has to come back from a serious injury. And defend. Not much depth either.

6. New Orleans Pelicans
    If they're healthy, they're going to be tough to beat. Solid group will go only as far as Anthony Davis can take them. He can take them a long, long way. Best player in the league next year, IMO. Impossible to stop.

7. Memphis Grizzlies
    Everyone is old except Mike Conley. And he's 27. Old guys break down.

8. Los Angeles Clippers
    Two of top 25 players in the league. Will play small and try to outscore people. Are there enough balls for a Griffin, Paul, Crawford, Reddick, Pierce quintet? They won't play defense at all. Will be fun to watch.

9. Phoenix Suns
    They'll run and run and run some more. Love the addition of Tyson Chandler and the subtraction of the Morris' twins. (Not yet, but it's coming.) Questions about forwards. Might they go back to three guards?

10. Utah Jazz
    No PG. Not much shooting. Will be interested to see how Gobert works in small ball sets.

11. Sacramento Kings
    Could move up three spots or down four. Cousins is the best C in the NBA. Underrated Belinelli could surprise as a shooter. Love WCS as a shot blocker next to Cousins. Koufos too. Key is Rondo. I'm betting he's going to be on his best behavior (and effective) for his one year in Sacramento. Then again, everything could come apart tomorrow.

12. Minnesota Timberwolves
    Towns will win ROY. Wiggins is a stud. Lots of questions, but those two are exclamation points. Will be fun to watch develop.

13. Denver Nuggets
    Watch them deal everyone. Only reason they aren't lower is the difficulty in dealing Manimal before 2016. Gallinari is underrated, but fragile.

14. Portland Trailblazers
    Lillard and... nothing. Their roster looks like it's constructed by a first-time fantasy guy. McCollum better be the real deal. No one else can shoot even a little bit.

15. Los Angeles Lakers
    Randle's a nice piece. So is Russell. Clarkson is also solid. That's about it. Three gunners in Young, Louis Williams, and Kobe. No one underneath to play defense. At all. Poor system. So, to recap, poor shooting, poor defense, poor coaching. Not a great team.

Dante Exum is an excellent Point Guard for the Jazz. So much so that Trey Burke could see last year that he'd already lost his job.

As far as shooters, Gordon Hayward says, "Hi!".
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-07-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Dante Exum is an excellent Point Guard for the Jazz. So much so that Trey Burke could see last year that he'd already lost his job.

As far as shooters, Gordon Hayward says, "Hi!".
    Exum had a PER of 5.7 (15 is considered about league average), an offensive rating of 90 (100 is average) and a defensive rating of 109 (100 is average). His -0.8 VORP (well below replacement level) indicates that, while he may one day be "an excellent point guard," he's absolutely not there yet. Nor is he anywhere close.

Hayward's a good shooter, but if he's the best you've got, you're in serious trouble. He's the best they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Exum had a PER of 5.7 (15 is considered about league average), an offensive rating of 90 (100 is average) and a defensive rating of 109 (100 is average). His -0.8 VORP (well below replacement level) indicates that, while he may one day be "an excellent point guard," he's absolutely not there yet. Nor is he anywhere close.

Hayward's a good shooter, but if he's the best you've got, you're in serious trouble. He's the best they've got.
    I think he's there now, especially since those around him most of the time will be the starters. My eyetest surpasses any stats in this case. He'll make mistakes being how young he is and won't have the consistency, of course, which will drag down his stats, but he's ready to lead Utah to the playoffs this season.

League average at Point Guard is really good in the 2015-16 NBA world. But, you said, "No point guard." Exum is very, very good. I said excellent, and that would require consistency. I hope you get a chance to watch at least six Utah Jazz games this year from start to finish. I think your opinion on Exum will change if you can get that opportunity. Also, seeing someone in person is a whole lot different than seeing them on television. For example, I saw Scottie Pippin on television as much as anyone before he became a Trailblazer, including numerous times in person as a season-ticket holder. But, until I saw him in person on a regular basis, I had no idea of the quality of player that he was, and this was at the twilight of his career. He was the third best Trailblazer to ever put on a uniform (after Walton and Drexler). There are just so many things that are witnessed in person that one just can't see on television. Floor intelligence is probably first and foremost. That's where Exum shines.

I'm not dismissing the stats you posted on Exum, but those will be the exception, not the rule, when it comes to those stats and Exum in the future.

We'll just agree to disagree, then. Especially if you won't take statistics into consideration.

At this point, I'll argue that Exum is perhaps the worst player in the NBA.

In the future, he might be better. But, right now, he's horrid.

Exum went from playing against Australian high schoolers to the NBA, his rookie season wasn't good but there's a learning curve in my mind.

Also Rudy Gobert is going to be a beast.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

That comments makes me believe that you haven't seen him play for even 50 minutes since March 1st.

We'll just agree to disagree, then. Especially if you won't take statistics into consideration.

At this point, I'll argue that Exum is perhaps the worst player in the NBA.

Hey man, you may watch a good deal of basketball and you may watch games in person but it's a different story when you see a game in person as a season ticket holder. You're basically a scout, team management will probably ask your opinion on players.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Hey man, you may watch a good deal of basketball and you may watch games in person but it's a different story when you see a game in person as a season ticket holder. You're basically a scout, team management will probably ask your opinion on players.
    It is completely different seeing a player in person in any sport versus seeing them on television. There's a lot of knowledge that just can't be gleaned through the tube. When I used the word "season-ticket" holder, it was to describe the number of games I would have seen Pippen play both before he was a Trailblazer and after he was a Trailblazer. It's why scouts have to go to Europe instead of just streaming the players on their computers.

Exum has apparently been a stud for the Jazz in the summer league, but he hurt his ankle yesterday. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It is completely different seeing a player in person in any sport versus seeing them on television. There's a lot of knowledge that just can't be gleaned through the tube. When I used the word "season-ticket" holder, it was to describe the number of games I would have seen Pippen play both before he was a Trailblazer and after he was a Trailblazer. It's why scouts have to go to Europe instead of just streaming the players on their computers.
    I wouldn't know, man. I'm too busy playing in leagues with formerly graduated D1 players and some NBADL guys. I only say that because I want you to describe how good I am.

Ha.

I was mostly kidding with you about the season ticket holder thing, just seems you like to drop that whenever you get the chance and hell maybe I would too if I was a season ticket holder.

I don't disagree about scouting guys in person vs on TV but even still I'm a little skeptical about of your view on Exum. I still think he may be a year away.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I wouldn't know, man. I'm too busy playing in leagues with formerly graduated D1 players and some NBADL guys. I only say that because I want you to describe how good I am.

Ha.

I was mostly kidding with you about the season ticket holder thing, just seems you like to drop that whenever you get the chance and hell maybe I would too if I was a season ticket holder.

I don't disagree about scouting guys in person vs on TV but even still I'm a little skeptical about of your view on Exum. I still think he may be a year away.
    Being in Austin, you get a chance to see a lot of professional basketball, being not far from Houston, Dallas and a little further away, San Antonio and New Orleans. Oklahoma City isn't that far away, either. But, I think I'd be attending a lot of NFL football if I lived where you lived, and would choose season tickets to the NFL instead over the NBA. I love all sports, though.

On a Summer League note, Orlando PF Aaron Gordon is rocking it. At 19, Orlando thinks he will soon have the ability to guard any team's best scorer.

Turn Off Ads?