Thread: Sat 7/18/2015. Indians @ Reds

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Sat 7/18/2015. Indians @ Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That Votto is so hot right now.
    sure -- you say that after he gets another hit ---
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 07-18-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo madness
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-18-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

No, I wouldn't give up on him, but like others here, the progress isn't there. I would hope the orgazation is not counting on Billy to roam CF for a long time and let better hitters rot on the bench.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just keep in mind that Hamilton at .240 BA and .300 OBP would be an effective offensive player because of the baserunning.

The baserunning has improved dramatically this year. Maybe the hitting improves next year.

Again, he doesn't have to be .280/.350/.380 to be effective. He can get by with much less. It's unusual, I know, but the bottom line is helping the club win.

Give it more time.
    You're right, and what I'm getting at is the trend toward him being the slap-hitter/bunter that he needs to be (a la Brett Butler) isn't there. It isn't like one day a switch is going to flip and he's suddenly going to be that guy. It's something that takes time and work, but whatever he's been working on all this time (2 years) it isn't translating to his game play. He's got a K and fly out to right this game. Neither of those come close to slapping the ball to the left side or bunting to get on base. This has gone on all season. At some point you have to realize that the player's game isnt' going to get better and cut bait.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    not sure there is a better option --- but seeing some signs of him getting it with the bat would be nice -- I do agree he's made progress with his base running
    LOL, it used to be that age 25 was the key year in becoming a major leaguer. Hamilton will be 25 in September and play at age 25 most of next season.

This has not been a good hitting year for Billy. He was better before last year's ASB, in 2014. He needs to work on this. Let's hope he improves.

Meanwhile, this failing with RISP is just continuous with this team. Maybe Bruce will do something here but it seems never to end.

What is the biggest deficit the Reds have come back down from this season? Just wondering if I should even bother wondering if they can do it here.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

and Bruce K's --- get me the booze

maybe Byrd can bring me the bottle -- he K's too
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Before we give up on Hamilton.

2012 24 .228 .280 .281 .561 56
    2013 25 .234 .314 .298 .612 75
    2014 26 .289 .326 .378 .704 99
    2015 27 .338 .359 .413 .772 114

I'll contrast BHam with Bruce and Frazier.

Frazier 3 years ago couldn't lay off the slider moving off the plate. He worked on it and it really shows. It didn't happen overnight but it happened, and his hard work was rewarded by being the HR derby champion, the starting 3b for the NL in the All Star game, and being the toast of baseball for awhile.

Bruce has been given fits since they started defending him with the shift. For awhile he tried going the other way, and that didn't work. Then he tried going up the middle, but that made him a punch-and-judy hitter. Finally he went to just trying to pull it through the shift and has been on fire for the last few months.

It's work, practice, adjustments made by very, very talented players at the top of their game. (To a lesser extent Suarez has adjusted his defense since the meltdown a few weeks ago.)

But every night I see the same things from BHam. Maybe he doesn't have confidence in the approach he needs to take. Maybe he doesn't have the refined skills it takes. It doesn't matter. He's the same player now that he's always been. And that's not good for him or for the club.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Gordon was a better hitter in the minors than Billy, and far better at AAA. Billy hasn't figured out how to hit above AA pitching.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Billy, but all options should be on the table.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-18-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

I never project the success or failure of one player based on the success or failure of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'll contrast BHam with Bruce and Frazier.

Frazier 3 years ago couldn't lay off the slider moving off the plate. He worked on it and it really shows. It didn't happen overnight but it happened, and his hard work was rewarded by being the HR derby champion, the starting 3b for the NL in the All Star game, and being the toast of baseball for awhile.

Bruce has been given fits since they started defending him with the shift. For awhile he tried going the other way, and that didn't work. Then he tried going up the middle, but that made him a punch-and-judy hitter. Finally he went to just trying to pull it through the shift and has been on fire for the last few months.

It's work, practice, adjustments made by very, very talented players at the top of their game. (To a lesser extent Suarez has adjusted his defense since the meltdown a few weeks ago.)

But every night I see the same things from BHam. Maybe he doesn't have confidence in the approach he needs to take. Maybe he doesn't have the refined skills it takes. It doesn't matter. He's the same player now that he's always been. And that's not good for him or for the club.

Giving up the LH hitting, which again....... What was the pint? He is already fast. It is not helping him to hit LH so he can run to first faster when he cannot hit LH. I mean at All he cannot hit batting LH.

He looks better and is or has looked more comfortable from the RH side.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    and Bruce K's --- get me the booze

maybe Byrd can bring me the bottle -- he K's too
    The story of the Reds with RISP.....2 on, no out. #'s 3,4, and 5 in the order can't get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Giving up the LH hitting, which again....... What was the pint? He is already fast. It is not helping him to hit LH so he can run to first faster when he cannot hit LH. I mean at All he cannot hit batting LH.

He looks better and is or has looked more comfortable from the RH side.
    If that helps him see success at the major league level, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    LOL, it used to be that age 25 was the key year in becoming a major leaguer. Hamilton will be 25 in September and play at age 25 most of next season.

This has not been a good hitting year for Billy. He was better before last year's ASB, in 2014. He needs to work on this. Let's hope he improves.

Meanwhile, this failing with RISP is just continuous with this team. Maybe Bruce will do something here but it seems never to end.

Frazier did a good job going with the pitch and I know their 1B is not Keith Hernandez with the range there.....but he was able to play off the bag and get to that ball. Or else it is a hit.

Bruce does what he does with runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. I have not seen a quieter #4 in OPS in all of baseball in the last month than Bruce..... but I still am happy for the improvement he has shown and last year that AB would have lasted 3-4 pitches. He battled Kluber and his Burt Wonderstone pitches that are there one minute and then not the next within the same AB.

Byrd is just regressing from the 4 for 4 from last night.

Carlos Santana smoothly walks for the 2nd time this game.

Turn Off Ads?