Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jimmie "JJ" Walker Coming to Danville Ky...

Jimmie "JJ" Walker Coming to Danville Ky...

I grew up LOVING the show "Good Times" and I always thought that the character of "JJ" was a real riot! I hated it when John Amos was fired and even Esther Rolle (whom the show was originally created for/to be based around) left for a period of time. Both (Amos & Rolle) were disappointed that the show had turned "JJ" into what appeared to be one of the main focal points, when, originally, the JJ character was intended to play a much less prominent roll. But, much like "Family Matters" with the Steve "Urkel" character becoming the main focal point? Some times, these things happen (actually, it happens more often than many folks realize and often creates friction among the other cast members).

At any rate, I also enjoy what I have witnessed of Jimmie Walker's stand-up comedy. While I have never actually seen him perform live, I have seen quite a few of his appearances, either on TV years back (when Comedy Central used to focus more on stand-up comedy and things of that ilk) though mainly via that massive little site called Youtube (sure do wish I had came up with that site/idea ).

At any rate, since I know some of you live in KY and since Cincy and surrounding areas are not too terribly far away, I thought there might potentially be some others here interested in catching one of Jimmie's stand-up shows In Danville Ky @ The Pioneer Playhouse (a very historical place that has featured some performers whom would go on to become A-list Hollywood actors. John Travolta's name comes immediately to mind, though I know there are others as well).

Danville is roughly 30 min. (give/take) south of Lexington. I live in a town called Somerset, which is roughly 45 min (again, give/take) due south of Danville. I used to make the drive to Danville 3 to 4 times per week back when I was an engineer for Norfolk Southern, so it is certainly a place that I am incredibly familiar with. Also, as I was coming of age in the mid-80's and getting heavily into more and more of the underground "punk"/"hardcore" and metal scenes, there was a record shop in Danville that was MUCH superior to anything we had in Somerset. I would have my mom take me on many a trip north so I could actually FIND some of the albums I was after! Wow, do I ever remember those days so fondly. Watching "Return of the Living Dead" and trying to track down many of the punk artists featured in the film (my favorite, to this very day, being Roky Erickson, whom I still listen to on a fairly regular basis).....but I'm getting WAY of track via "memory-lane" here....

Jimmie Walker will be @ Pioneer Playhouse Aug. 20, 21 & 22 (Thus/Fri/Sat). His show is rated "PG" in case anyone cares about that sort of thing (some strong language, though overall, Walker keeps things pretty clean). Tickets are $18.00 ($32.00 for "dinner and the show" - I have never done the "dinner" so I have absolutely NO IDEA as to what that is like or what they serve, etc.). Groups of 10 or more, simply subtract $2.00 from each of the aforementioned ($16/$30).

Okay, I just thought I would mention this, as, had my mother not gone to see a play a couple of weeks back and gotten a play-booklet, I would have never had ANY idea whatsoever that Jimmie was making an appearance here in the bluegrass state and so close to home! Heck, his own website has it wrong, merely calling the venue "Playhouse" and listing it as being in Lexington

I will be making the trek up for certain for the THUS Aug. 20 show and might even potentially come back for one of the other 2 appearances, depending on whether or not I end up having friends/family that can not attend the THUS show, but really wish to go up and catch one of the FRI/SAT appearances.

Here's the Pioneer Playhouse website should any of you want to check it out:
    http://www.pioneerplayhouse.com/

Jimmie, who turned 68 in late June, I must say appears to have really packed on the pot-belly in the last few years time. He still appears fairly thin elsewhere, sans this big ole pot-belly. He was always "funny looking" (and I don't mean that in an offensive sorta way, but he WAS - tall and so skinny and via his mannerisms which he played up FOR extra comedic effect), but that big pot-belly on him just looks so funny for some reason. Here's video of a Good Times cast reunion which occurred earlier this year (it's a short video, under 2 min. in total length):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afIHkZqNv_A

Bern Nadette Stanis, who played Thelma still looks GREAT (she will turn 62 in DEC.). John Amos is very non-amused over something early in the video (I'm curious as to whether or not it is Jimmie he is actually referring to) but you can clearly hear him say "he's intentionally ignoring me...he's irritating the F**K outta me" (and Jimmie, after the group photo is taken almost seemingly can not WAIT to walk away). So, I'm not entirely sure what the deal was/is. In a short video (also from earlier this year) when discussing why he left/was fired from "Good Times", he did not say anything negative about Jimmie, so? Who knows.

Okay, I'm certain that was all a LOT more than most of you cared to read, but, there ya go anyways Be really cool if one (or more) folks from here ended up coming out to see the show! If any of you do, be sure and let me know so we can potentially meet up at Applebee's or somewhere before hand potentially (or at least say "hi" at the show)!

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-01-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jimmie "JJ" Walker Coming to Danville Ky...

I'm a little frightened

Holy lord
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This is the best post ever.

7. Likes:

NebraskaRed (08-01-2015),Raisor (08-01-2015),redsfanmia (08-01-2015),westofyou (08-01-2015)

Dy - no - mite

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-01-2015)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  34.8 KB

11. Likes:

RBA (08-01-2015),westofyou (08-01-2015)

From interviews and what not I have always been under the impression that John Amos did not like the transformation of the show from a comic look at the real life of a struggling black family to a Steppit Fetchit show with JJ saying dynomite every 5 minutes.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

13. Likes:

westofyou (08-01-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    From interviews and what not I have always been under the impression that John Amos did not like the transformation of the show from a comic look at the real life of a struggling black family to a Steppit Fetchit show with JJ saying dynomite every 5 minutes.
    Oh that's exactly it, he's pretty much stated that as fact

So did Rolle.

16. Likes:

redsfanmia (08-01-2015)

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-01-2015),Dom Heffner (08-01-2015),redsfanmia (08-02-2015)

Turn Off Ads?