Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone top 100 songwriters

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Rolling Stone top 100 songwriters

Well I don't judge songwriting on how many I have in my personal playlist. I think an objective person can say gosh, lots of people love those songs, it may not be for me, but if I'm the odd one out, it's probably me.

When you've written 30 plus #1 songs, you have something.

McDonald's is a terrible comparison for numerous reasons.

I get that just because something's popular doesn't mean its good but also it doesn't mean it sucks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I said that about the playlist to give him some credit, actually. Still, he looks like an assembly line.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I said that about the playlist to give him some credit, actually. Still, he looks like an assembly line.
    A pretty damn successful one.

If all it took were to be just anybody churning out hits, we'd have a lot more Max Martin's.

The quality of pop songs has more to do with production than songwriting. I have seen quite a few pop songs performed live by the likes of the Ramones, Better Than Ezra, Travis, Weezer, and Ed Sheehan, that sound great, once rearranged.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Without a hook, you can produce all you want...

Quick skim over the list...

No idea why Stevie Wonder is in the top 10.
    Chuck Berry feels like a definite top 3er to me, but no idea who he'd replace.
    Stevie Nicks is a lot better than 53rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Quick skim over the list...

No idea why Stevie Wonder is in the top 10.
    Chuck Berry feels like a definite top 3er to me, but no idea who he'd replace.
    Stevie Nicks is a lot better than 53rd.
    Chuck Berry has 28 songwriting credits to his name.

That seems awfully low.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Chuck Berry has 28 songwriting credits to his name.

That seems awfully low.
    Quality over quantity? I'm no music historian by any means don't get me wrong, but when I think best song writers of all time two names come to mind. Bob Dylan and Chuck Berry.

Just my opinion of course.

btw, I'm not always very good at seeing all the details, but was Sting on the list? I didn't see him, and I would think he belongs. Sure he was a little full of it at times, but he's written a bunch of very nice songs, often playing around with conventions or mixing genres.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (08-31-2015),Rojo (08-16-2015),_Sir_Charles_ (08-25-2015)

Without a hook, you can produce all you want...
    I love a hook. But sometimes a "hook" is the result of something being drilled into your head over and over.

Lou Reed wrote great hooky songs that I still don't know why they don't get radio play. No, I do. He wasn't marketable. I'm not making a snob argument. I just don't think "Hits, baby" is a good argument. Lots of people voted for Reagan.

A pretty damn successful one.

If all it took were to be just anybody churning out hits, we'd have a lot more Max Martin's.
    An analogy: Stephen King. I give him credit. He tells a good story, is a facile writer, not an idiot.

Still, he's not Proust.

They call me "chef"

The list is top 100 songwriters not top 100 non-pop-mainstream songwriters. Not enjoying a genre doesn't disqualify the best songwriters in that genre.

15. Likes:

919191 (08-16-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    The list is top 100 songwriters not top 100 non-pop-mainstream songwriters. Not enjoying a genre doesn't disqualify the best songwriters in that genre.
    It's not a matter of not enjoying the genre; I'm not complaining about the rappers. It's a matter of writing assembly-line. lowest-common-denominator earwax and selling it to the masses because you have the backing of a big corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    An analogy: Stephen King. I give him credit. He tells a good story, is a facile writer, not an idiot.

Still, he's not Proust.
    Right but your assumption is that you have to be Proust to write a great book or song.

Mariah Carey has a great voice, great range. Just because she flexes that in a song does not mean it's great.

A song is just not the words on a sheet of paper. It is the melody, arrangement. To put it all together and have it appeal to that many people should rank you among the best.

Pop music is lightweight compared to Dylan, sure, but a list full of 100 Dylan's, Prine's, Wait's...

That would be awful.

You raise a good point. I'd tell you that I'd take a Stephen King novel over Nathaniel Hawthorne anyday.

Fancy prose is difficult no doubt, the problem is it doesn't need to be fancy to be good.

I scrolled through the top ten and didn't see Stephan Jenkins. I have no further use for this magazine.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?