Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Stone top 100 songwriters

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Rolling Stone top 100 songwriters

IMO Billy Joel and Elton John/Bernie Taupin are too low.

2. Likes:

bucksfan2 (08-20-2015),Dom Heffner (08-21-2015),mth123 (08-20-2015),Revering4Blue (08-23-2015),Sea Ray (08-20-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I second this, but I still recognize their talent. I like Zeppelin as the best band ever, but I probably lose that argument to history.

The Beatles are pretty impressive, just not into them, if that makes sense.
    Zeppelin is a band I never have been able to get into. Partly because WEBN, the local rock station up here, would constantly be playing their music. I never was a big fan of classic rock growing up and when Zeppelin came on I changed the dial.

Maybe I missed but I didn't see Metallica on the list which it shocking. Metallica is a band who took metal, although their music is a little bit more than hard guitar and screaming into a mic, and brought it into mainstream rock. Their albums starting with Ride the Lightening to the Black album were fantastic. Load and Reload had some decent songs on them but I thought they got a little too MTV and TRL for me.

I saw Billy Joel and Elton John in concert and it probably ranks as my favorite concert of all time (not that I am a big concert goer).

5. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (08-25-2015)

I think whether or not you should listen to her depends on why you like music.
    Not sure what that means.

I guess my point is that I usually get pop songs through cultural osmosis. I can think of a couple of Katy Perry songs, even though I never sought them out. So why can't I put my finger on a Swift song?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Not sure what that means.

I guess my point is that I usually get pop songs through cultural osmosis. I can think of a couple of Katy Perry songs, even though I never sought them out. So why can't I put my finger on a Swift song?
    I didn't word that correctly. I just mean do you like all genres? Do you ony listen to music to get one type? Some people only like metal, country, and rarely venture out. If you like pop music, I think she's great.

Go to Apple Music or Youtube and just sample the first bits of a few tunes and see if you recall hearing anything...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Zeppelin is a band I never have been able to get into. Partly because WEBN, the local rock station up here, would constantly be playing their music. I never was a big fan of classic rock growing up and when Zeppelin came on I changed the dial.

Maybe I missed but I didn't see Metallica on the list which it shocking. Metallica is a band who took metal, although their music is a little bit more than hard guitar and screaming into a mic, and brought it into mainstream rock. Their albums starting with Ride the Lightening to the Black album were fantastic. Load and Reload had some decent songs on them but I thought they got a little too MTV and TRL for me.

I saw Billy Joel and Elton John in concert and it probably ranks as my favorite concert of all time (not that I am a big concert goer).
    Metallica is going to be underrated because metal lyrics don't lend themselves well to this sort of ranking system.

I think they are incredible, I like all their music up through the black album. After that it gets sort of butt rockery/Linkin Parkish or whatever happened with music in the early 2000s....

WEBN ruined a lot of that classic rock- they really played and played and played that stuff.

Zeppelin was a later in life discovery for me- I didn't always get them, but I get them now....holy smokes....

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    IMO Billy Joel and Elton John/Bernie Taupin are too low.
    #48 is criminal.

Rolling Stone always overrates Prince and the Motown thing.

#48 is criminal.

Rolling Stone always overrates Prince and the Motown thing.
    The Motown thing?

Motown was a movement, not a thing.

I'm loving the Taylor Swift kudos and the Beatles and Motown digs. It's like an ESPN greatest moments in football list, all new stuff rules and that old stuff we'll.....

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Motown thing?

Motown was a movement, not a thing.

I'm loving the Taylor Swift kudos and the Beatles and Motown digs. It's like an ESPN greatest moments in football list, all new stuff rules and that old stuff we'll.....
    I said the Beatles should be tops of any list they are apart of. Taylor Swift is like #95 on the list, I never said she should be higher, I don't think anyway.

Rolling Stone has their favorites- always have, always will.

I said the Beatles should be tops of any list they are apart of. Taylor Swift is like #95 on the list, I never said she should be higher, I don't think anyway.

Well they is old, I loved Spin when they came out, totally trying not to be RS, they would laud bands like The American Music Club as the best bands in the world that cracked me up.

Some did end up as the best bands in the world and others were like ButtTrumpet

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Agreed on the Beatles. I understand how talented of a songwriter Dylan was...but I've always thought he was overrated...especially by Rolling Stone. I mean if they're just talking about lyricist...I somewhat get it. But music AND lyrics...nope.

Sting/Police should be up there too imo. Sting's quite a talented lyricist IMO.

14. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (08-21-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Nope.
    You are insane. Taylor is awesome

My favorite music streaming service is Slacker. Go listen to their countdown programs, especially the ones put together by Craig Marks and Rob Tennebaum.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Agreed on the Beatles. I understand how talented of a songwriter Dylan was...but I've always thought he was overrated...especially by Rolling Stone. I mean if they're just talking about lyricist...I somewhat get it. But music AND lyrics...nope.

Sting/Police should be up there too imo. Sting's quite a talented lyricist IMO.
    I listened to some of Blood on the Tracks today... And side two of Abbey Road whilst riding my bike to work

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    whilst riding my bike to work
    Hippies use the side door -->

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Hippies use the side door -->
    I listened to The Hold Steady whilst at work... While I stood at my stand up desk

Turn Off Ads?