Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 8/27/2015 - Reds vs. Dodgers

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: 8/27/2015 Dodgers at Reds DAY GAME

May not be completely fair, but Bruce feels like the embodiment of this franchise's issues right now. Should have been dealt in July.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 8/27/2015 - Reds vs. Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Except we're talking about letting go of a hitting star from 2013. It's no longer 2013.
    The trade we know of was Bruce for Wheeler. We are flush with pitching and Wheeler is coming off of Tommy John. If the Mets were offering Michael Conforto straight up or the Blue Jays were offering one of their pitchers who could slide into the rotation in AAA or the big league club right now, sure, I'd have traded Bruce. But I wouldn't have been looking to move him just for the sake of moving him, or the fear that a slump was around the corner.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The trade we know of was Bruce for Wheeler. We are flush with pitching and Wheeler is coming off of Tommy John. If the Mets were offering Michael Conforto straight up or the Blue Jays were offering one of their pitchers who could slide into the rotation in AAA or the big league club right now, sure, I'd have traded Bruce. But I wouldn't have been looking to move him just for the sake of moving him, or the fear that a slump was around the corner.
    The problem with keeping Bruce much longer is $12 plus million. The Reds have a limited payroll. They can't get better without money. They can't sign Int'l prospects without money. There's no point in spending that much money to retain the status quo.

We don't know all the possible trades from the deadline. But, even if Wheeler, even a pitcher has value either as a Red or for future trades. I'm neutral on that deal, but at some point they need to move some expensive veterans.

I've said it was not practical to make three or four major trades at the deadline. I'm not disappointed. But despite Bruce's heralded past as a mainstay of this club, I see him as trade bait now for this reason. His play doesn't warrant tying up that much money given the current state and apparent budget of the ball club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-27-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Games like this just assist the Reds' efforts in finding a better version of Jay Bruce within the first 3 picks of the 2016 draft. I hope we go heavy on college OFs through the first few rounds.

For those scoring at home, the 3 Reds to get hits today were Skip Schumaker (1), Jason Bougeois (1), and Tucker Barnhart (2).

And that concludes today's game of "How Depressing Can Reds Baseball 2015 Possibly Get?!"

We'll see you tomorrow night for the next edition of this excruciating new game when the Reds face some guy named Jungmann and the Milkwaukee Brewers. Until then, you stay socially awkward, Redszone!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    For those scoring at home, the 3 Reds to get hits today were Skip Schumaker (1), Jason Bougeois (1), and Tucker Barnhart (2).
    Isn't that 4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Isn't that 4?
    3 Reds got 4 hits

Turn Off Ads?